NEurope
Hero-of-Time

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

Ah the hype is killing me! Without major spoilers, is there any needless padding of the game towards the end (ie. triforce hunt etc)?

A little bit, but it's still great fun.

32 hours logged and going strong. I don't want this to end.

This game follows the Zelda standards but yet completely disregards them.

You'll see when you play

At one point, I spontaneously got a massive hunch about something and I can't wait to see if I'm right...or wrong :)

Edited by or else you will DIE

the rest of the game bodes well :) im just enjoying it and happy to see what happens next. its all been fantastic and surprising so far.

i actually liked the 3rd boss as that whole dungeon and the pre over-dungeon before it were a real slog for me. long and hard! so i was very happy to have a relatively easy and fun boss. and the stuff with the item was pretty clever i thought.

i just done the 4th dungeon. i thought this one was quite straight forward and wasnt as hard as the previous ones.. not a complaint though, it was welcome as this game is harrd. the boss was super cool aswell, one of my fave bosses in any zelda for sure... the last part of it is just badass!!

Just beat the fifth temple this evening - another great boss. Spent a couple of hours since then discovering new quests and hunting for items in Skyloft. I'm glad there's so much to do outside of the main quest, although it'd be nice if there were more towns to visit.

Just beat the fifth temple this evening - another great boss. Spent a couple of hours since then discovering new quests and hunting for items in Skyloft. I'm glad there's so much to do outside of the main quest, although it'd be nice if there were more towns to visit.

possibly my only complaint that, i'd have liked more "defined" towns

but i have found the one mini game nintendo always make impossibly hard

Fun fun Island needs renaming! get through all 5 rings and land on the 50 rupee space? WHAT? its hard enough getting the 5 rings without hitting the smallest slot! and let me guess the prize he mentions is a heart piece? i'll leave that till last and when i've rupees to burn

Look Fi, there's no point in having puzzles if you're going to keep telling me the answers.

Righty I got the 2nd dungeon finished yesterday, went back up to Skyloft and went looking for the new goddess cube chests I activated then went running around to find some new side quests that might be avilable, ran around during the day into all the houses then the same at night. Only thing I found was a guy who buys bugs and one guy who wants a potion that's not for sale yet. I was hoping there'd be more side quests involved in this one. Did manage to find some random gratitude crystals lying around though :D

Went down to the 3rd area, haven't reached the dungeon yet but am loving it. Got a bit stuck at one point figured it out eventually

Didn't see the hole in the cage that was hiding the time shift stone that leads to getting the beetle upgrade, took about 10 mins of head scratching and running around before I spotted it

Loving the puzzles overall in the game, I ignore Fi unless he auto appears so not taking any hints. What is annoying me though is when your hearts are low and he starts blinking and beeping... FRAK OFF FI, I know my hearts are low.

Also I only just found out why there are so many chairs scattered around that Link can sit on. I thought it was some weird design feature "look everyone Link can sit down", didn't realise it actually served a purpose :heh:

Was purely awesome.

Sure many ideas used in the boss fights so far have been done in one form or another in previous Zelda games. But tearing the joints out of a huge animated six-armed golden statue with the whip and later taking its oversized sword to club it to pieces felt just great. :D

I was doing some side quests last night and it seems that some may have multiple routes (so to speak), I'll outline the one I did.

Whilst walking around the Academy, I talked to the woman in the kitchen and she said she heard noises at night coming from the restroom. I went by there at night and the noise, wanted paper. Go back to day time, and I talked the the boy standing by the main front door, he said he wanted to give a letter to a girl, during the cutscene, Link looked at the restroom, and there was an exchange about not giving it to anyone else. Being the nice person I am, I took the letter to the girl, and it led to a little story of two people getting together. Anyone else do the opposite and try to give it to the person in the restroom.

I was doing some side quests last night and it seems that some may have multiple routes (so to speak), I'll outline the one I did.

Whilst walking around the Academy, I talked to the woman in the kitchen and she said she heard noises at night coming from the restroom. I went by there at night and the noise, wanted paper. Go back to day time, and I talked the the boy standing by the main front door, he said he wanted to give a letter to a girl, during the cutscene, Link looked at the restroom, and there was an exchange about not giving it to anyone else. Being the nice person I am, I took the letter to the girl, and it led to a little story of two people getting together. Anyone else do the opposite and try to give it to the person in the restroom.

I gave it to the person in the restroom. Well, it was a ghost hand coming out of the toilet (Majora's Mask!!!). The ghost haunts the guy (forgot his name) so each night you hear him crying, while he's miserable throughout the day.

He was a twat earlier on in the game. He deserved it.

Also about the

Gossip stones - was anyone else's first idea to test it with bombs (like Ocarina of Time)?

And one of them horrified me - it had videos of how to do every single puzzle and side-quest in the game.

Edit: Also, what does sitting down do?

Just to clarify. As you get later in the game, there are bits you can do in whatever order you please...so it's not entirely linear as people think

I did both because I was curious, but I ended up keeping the same ending you got. Thought the alternative path ended rather suddenly, thought there was more but I got the "reward". Also it was rather creepy :P

Edit: Also, what does sitting down do?

Recovers health. Also some people will talk to you when you sit down.

So I spent ages having to play with no sound (due to the low health noise) when I could have done that?

I moved the hyphen to annoy Ville but nobody's saying anything

joke fail =(

Should've put it inside the brackets, man, that's the only area I look at when identifying this thread. Good try, though! xD

Havn't had much time since this arrived last week to play this, i do have the 9th off and possibly the 30th November off (i love being a civil servant). The plan is to play Skyward Sword on these 2 days. Get right into it as such.

Really think I'm near the end of the game now, for reasons I can't explain as they're spoilerific

This game keeps going from strength to strength to strength.

Have played it all afternoon, every afternoon, since Thursday, and some evenings and mornings too (I love being selfemployed) and almost 40 hours logged...fucking awesome

You people seem to enjoy it a lot more than I do. The excessive use of motion control really drags down the enjoyment for me. The A button for slashing and motion control for puzzles only would be preferable. It's not that they are bad, they are great, it's just the excessice use. I hate running into Goblins and patches of grass I instinctively have to slay. For now I have played Skyrim way more than Zelda since I got Zelda.

Think I'll try to finish the third temple tonight. I think I got to the entrance.

Also, Midna>>>>>>>>>>>>>Robot bitch.

When the sign starts blinking I instinctively press down on the d-pad to see what she has to say, only for her state the obvious for the millionth time. Yes I know I'm low on hearts. I could tell by the fire alarm. Is there a way to turn her off? :p

Currently on my way to the fourth dungeon. The padding at this point is a fucking joke, it's literally fetch quest/travel somewhere only to find out you have to go somewhere else first. Jesus christ, it's possibly WORSE than any other Zelda game in this respect, I thought they were going to change things?! Ahhh. Turned my Wii off as I've just been told to go fetch ANOTHER bloody thing. Eugh.

Seriously Nintendo, play a modern game and learn how to advance a story and get players to seek out new areas. This game is so 1998 in that regard.

damn, im not having any troubles with it now.. my arm doesnt hurt anymore and i'd say ive got used to it to the point where its super easy and i wouldnt wanna go back and play an older zelda game.

Fi is trying to be the new Navi but she's just not annoying enough.

"Master your health is low"

NOOOOOOO SHIIIIIIIIIIT

::shrug:

:indeed:

This is only a minor criticism, but why is there no title screen music? We just get the game logo on an empty sky with an instructional video icon in the corner (did this really need to be on the title screen?). Whatever happened too...

Seriously Nintendo, play a modern game and learn how to advance a story and get players to seek out new areas. This game is so 1998 in that regard.

bitmx1.jpg

?

I admit, it's supposed to be about shooters, but still, in terms of story progression its true for most modern games. :grin:Edit: Speaking about story progression, it's also true for Skyward Sword.

The one real offender I could make out so far is:

The forced revisiting of the first dungeon. That was unnecessary and clumsily presented, even with the supposedly new "twist" of meeting harder monsters this time. At least I got get the goddess cube thing at the end...

On the other hand:

I thought the tear of light/silent realm -thing was fun. Still a clumsy way to give the player a new ability, but it broke the pace of the usual exploration and dungeon-conquering for some fun "mini-game"-action.

If it didn't take place in such a closely confined, intertwined area and was spread around a lot of boring corridors with loading times in between instead, like in Twilight Princess, it would've probably bothered me.

Edited by Burny

I moved the hyphen to annoy Ville but nobody's saying anything

joke fail =(

It's annoying the hell out of me! I keep getting messages saying the thread title has been changed. :mad: