NEurope
Hero-of-Time

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

@The_Peeps @Ronnie

The "drift" is an actual limit of Motion+ and I know that it can happen. However, Skyward Sword implements a kind of automatic recalibration. It requires the Wiimote to regularly "see" the sensor bar though. Is there anything in your TV setup preventing the Wiimote from recalibrating this way? E.g. direct sunlight interfering with the Wiimote's IR sensor or something blocking the sensor bar?

I've never had the sword lose its calibration within 17+hrs of game time actually, so I can never quiet relate to these issues from my own experience. The only occasion where the game acted up, was what I mentioned earlier and then it was clear that inference with the IR sensor caused it. When I miss strikes, it's due to my own faults. It's usually because I didn't take the time to align them properly and "connected" swings, which naturally only really works, if the swings are on the same line in opposite directions. There isn't a way to just warp your arm to the lower right and swing diagonally to the upper left, when it was on the upper right just fractions of a second ago. That's simply the learning curve here.

@Ronnie Sorry about the spoiler, but there isn't much else I could've done in the label. You still have no idea why it occurs and under which circumstances. It also is something rather early in the game. Edit: And telling when it happens, e.g. after dungeon #X, would make it more of a spoiler than it is now.

Edited by Burny

How many hours did it take you?

Around 35ish I think. I can't quite remember. 35 brilliant hours!

Was just looking through my bank statement and it appears that Tesco Entertainment never actually charged me for it! So it looks like I have got the game for free, two days early, with £3.43 cashback! I'VE BEEN PAID TO PLAY ZELDA :D

Don't be daft, you don't always get charged up front. You think a company taking 1 in every £8 spent in the UK slips up on things like that? :heh:

My friend bought an Xbox from Gamestation in September and he's still not been charged for it.

So mistakes do happen

Wondering if I messed up a side quest involving the third dungeon item and certain characters in Skyloft. I'll be as vague as I can, don't really want to go into the spoiler thread:

I cleaned the house and then viewed the event at night, but I picked the "Heard what?" option which I'm not wondering if that was the wrong option and nothing else seems to be happening.

Ok! I know the first few hours of the game involves a lot of cut scenes, but I managed to get 2 hours in last night and didn't have to recalibrate the Wii remote once! I have no doubt that I'll get on really well with the controls!

I was sitting on my bed, in a dimly lit room, with the sensor bar in clear view, so if it does recalibrate using the sensor bar, that'll be why I've had no problems!

As for the game itself... WOW! The characters really come to life unlike previous Zeldas and the limited amount of sword fighting I've done so far is really good! I can't wait to start attacking some enemies that will be blocking my attacks!

Wondering if I messed up a side quest involving the third dungeon item and certain characters in Skyloft. I'll be as vague as I can, don't really want to go into the spoiler thread:

I cleaned the house and then viewed the event at night, but I picked the "Heard what?" option which I'm not wondering if that was the wrong option and nothing else seems to be happening.

without giving you a bit of a spoiler i don't know if i (or anyone) can answer

so read at you're own peril (minor really)

You'll be aware of the gratitude side quest.....

Well i did what you did and nothing happened further other than a few dialogue changes to his usual night time script

but

if you go to the toilet on a night a mysterious voice asks for paper... begin new side quest

during the day Cawlin will give you a letter.

you can use this for the voice, or deliver the letter

delivering it involves talking to several involving pipit

depending how you chose to follow this option changes occur further that will involve pipit

hope i was vague enough, PM me if you want to know exactly what to do/ what's going on

Don't be daft, you don't always get charged up front. You think a company taking 1 in every £8 spent in the UK slips up on things like that? :heh:

You were right, I was charged last night :(

I just found it odd that I wasn't charged for 5 days after I received it!

Is anyone noticing how incredibly linear this game is? Even though they've changed the formula slightly by making the underworld act as a dungeon in itself, the premise still revolves around you being told to go from point A to point B. Ocarina for example let you get the Iron Boots, Lens of Truth, Rescue the carpenters, get epona and do the dungeons (to a degree) in any order, does this game open up to do this later on?

Just done the 3rd dungeon. Simply sensational, highlight of my Wii owning days so far :)

Aren't all Zelda games (apart from the original) linear? Is it really a bad thing? You are still free to explore around each area/the sky as you wish, just like in the other games, but the story won't progress unless you move forward to the next area. I don't understand the complaints.

Your point about the Iron Boots etc. is valid, but does that section in particular where you can do a few things in a different order, but still overall in the same timeframe, really make it better??

I've seen some critics say they'd like it to go back to the formula of the first game but I don't know how that "go to any dungeon you like" structure would work with the sort of story that Zelda games have nowadays.

I'm pretty sure you also could do the Earth and Wind temples from Wind Waker in whatever order you wanted, which was nice.

It's not a big deal, but a degree of openness wouldn't be a bad thing, and is quite possible even given the tight storylines of recent games.

True, just it's the same as every Zelda since OoT in that regard. I was hoping that when they said they were going to revamp it up with SS that it meant they would do something different from the previous games. Ofc, it may be in their minds for the next Zelda as they are quite hardware limited with regards to what they can do. One thing for sure though, this game definitely has the best dungeons of any 3d zelda game I can think of. Bring on some more!

True, just it's the same as every Zelda since OoT in that regard. I was hoping that when they said they were going to revamp it up with SS that it meant they would do something different from the previous games. Ofc, it may be in their minds for the next Zelda as they are quite hardware limited with regards to what they can do. One thing for sure though, this game definitely has the best dungeons of any 3d zelda game I can think of. Bring on some more!

I thought the dungeons in Wind Waker were spectacular, good to hear that the third one in Skyward Sword is great though, I've only just finished the first :)

I thought the dungeons in Wind Waker were spectacular, good to hear that the third one in Skyward Sword is great though, I've only just finished the first :)

Thinking back to ones in WW, they were all very 'large' in terms of scale; each had multiple floors and you really spent a lot of time travelling through each one. The third one in hear though is a real treat, especially the art design. If you're enjoying the game after the first dungeon then you're in for a treat because that's easily the low point of the game (so far).

The dungeons definitely get better as the game goes on. Although on the contrary, so far I think the bosses have declined in quality as I've gone on (between third and fourth dungeons right now.) First boss was unlike anything we've had in Zelda before.

Third dungeon is one of my favourites as well (only done 3 though :laughing), although all 3 have been good so far. I think the dungeon designs are great in this game so far, all the rooms feel connected instead of being a load of small self contained puzzles.

Boss 1 and 2 were great. 3 wasn't too good. 4th boss was confusing at first but was pretty cool.

Thought I was nearing the end, but good christ they manage to throw more stuff in

I love this game :D LOVE

Favourite boss is still the boss of the fifth dungeon though

I genuinely believe this is the first Wii game that has lived up to the hype of this trailer:

It's almost like after all this time, we finally got what the Wii was made for.

If you're enjoying the game after the first dungeon then you're in for a treat because that's easily the low point of the game (so far).

Good to know :)

Thought I was nearing the end, but good christ they manage to throw more stuff in

I love this game :D LOVE

Favourite boss is still the boss of the fifth dungeon though

Ah the hype is killing me! Without major spoilers, is there any needless padding of the game towards the end (ie. triforce hunt etc)?