NEurope
Hero-of-Time

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

I'VE GOT THE GAME!! THE LIMITED EDITION PACK! I CAN ONLY PLAY LATER NIGHT...BUT I'VE GOT THE GAME!!!

Mine arrived today and I might get some time to play it tonight.

After reading the N-Europe review and seeing that even they had problems with the controls, I am a little worried though. I thought Gamespot were just being crap when they had problems with it, but I trust N-Europe.

Having real problems with the sword fighting mechanics of this game. I get that you're supposed to attack from the opposite side when your enemy is defending... but when they move their sword/shield constantly so it's against your sword, how are you supposed to hit from the other side?

If I have it on the right, they defend the right. If I move to strike from the left, they just follow it =\ how am I supposed to get round them? I've tried just being quick but because (personal opinion coming up) motion controls SUCK, it registers it as a swing.

So frustrating.

Having real problems with the sword fighting mechanics of this game. I get that you're supposed to attack from the opposite side when your enemy is defending... but when they move their sword/shield constantly so it's against your sword, how are you supposed to hit from the other side?

If I have it on the right, they defend the right. If I move to strike from the left, they just follow it =\ how am I supposed to get round them? I've tried just being quick but because (personal opinion coming up) motion controls SUCK, it registers it as a swing.

So frustrating.

Yeah, I find that a bit frustrating as well and it means that I often end up waggling for the most part. I think you actually have to bluff the enemies in some way but I haven't found out how. Mainly, I sneak up behind them and beat 'em before they turn around.

Btw., people, try bowling or throwing a bomb toward an enemy and watch their reactions!

Also.

Does anyone else feel incredibly guilty when they have to hit the cats at night?

YES! I hate doing that. I ended up throwing one into the water and then watched it getting back on land just to see if it was ok.

Also.

Does anyone else feel incredibly guilty when they have to hit the cats at night?

I threw one over the edge. Growl at me would you?! No remorse.

Don't want to go into the Spoiler topic yet.

This game is huge. I have 25 hours logged and I'd guess I'm about half way through it. The bosses are getting better and better

I love it

The music has to be some of the most uninspiring I've heard in a Zelda title. The enemy battle theme makes me thing some calypso dancers are going to bound onto the screen. There's no urgency/atmosphere in it. Everything is trying to be so upbeat.

Don't want to go into the Spoiler topic yet.

This game is huge. I have 25 hours logged and I'd guess I'm about half way through it. The bosses are getting better and better

I love it

Yeah it's absolutely massive! So much 'depth' to the world. A bit gutted there are some inevitable fetch quests towards the end but jeez, they've done amazing stuff with such a small world.

So frustrating.

I suppose you're talking about the Hobgoblins?

Their defense follows your stance and it's practically impossible to change the stance quickly enough in order to circumvent their defense, as that results in a slash. You need to wait until they attack and then you can land hits. Or you defend with the shield, which should also break their defenses for a while. Alternatively, charge at them and dispatch them before they can get up their defenses.

Was just looking through my bank statement and it appears that Tesco Entertainment never actually charged me for it! So it looks like I have got the game for free, two days early, with £3.43 cashback! I'VE BEEN PAID TO PLAY ZELDA :D

Was just looking through my bank statement and it appears that Tesco Entertainment never actually charged me for it! So it looks like I have got the game for free, two days early, with £3.43 cashback! I'VE BEEN PAID TO PLAY ZELDA :D

Funny enough, I've checked my statement today, as well. No charge from Tesco.

It must come out towards the end of the month or something...

They're not having it back. I love that Gold Wiimote too much.

*waits for Christmas*

@Burny

I was talking more about Girahim. Turns out slashing from the top-right nearly always landed a hit anyway so I got round him without much trouble once I'd found that sweet spot :p

The only mob I have trouble with at the moment is the spiders. Only because the wii mote has trouble realising when I'm thrusting and when I'm not.

It's obvious how to dispatch each enemy but Nintendo have yet to show me some decent motion control. I have to move the remote very specifically and heavily exaggerate and slow down my movements sometimes (more than I feel is necessary). It's just not the fluid control I was expecting.

The game itself is a lot of fun but so far I've not seen any reason why motion controls make it better or worse than standard controls.

Funny enough, I've checked my statement today, as well. No charge from Tesco.

It must come out towards the end of the month or something...

They're not having it back. I love that Gold Wiimote too much.

*waits for Christmas*

When I ordered the Star Wars box set they charged me the same day I ordered - although thinking about what you say, it was the last day of the month. Still - I live in hope that there was some massive fuck up and I've been gifted this game!

For enemies that block

Slightly move the wiimote to a direct I.e. right just enough for link to do it

Then swiftly move further in that direction

So you get (in this example) link holds his sword right, then swiftly slashes left to right

Simples

Oh and I took the suggestion being banded around to turn of picture sharpening, graphics are MUCH better changes the style of game loads

@The_Peeps

...is the best duel I've seen in a Zelda game and would alone be enough reason enough why motion controls for sword fighting are awesome.

In the first phase, his fingers follow your sword tip, but change your stance long enough and he'll stop following, which makes him vulnerable. If you hit at the angle he holds his fingers at and don't manage to pull away the sword, he actually takes it away from you.

The second phase leaves unusually much choice for a Zelda boss. You can reflect the projectiles with the sword by striking at the correct angle, or block them with your shield. When he charges, you can dodge, try to attack at the right moment or again block with the shield.

The music has to be some of the most uninspiring I've heard in a Zelda title. The enemy battle theme makes me thing some calypso dancers are going to bound onto the screen. There's no urgency/atmosphere in it. Everything is trying to be so upbeat.

I have to agree with this sadly, although I'm not even at the first dungeon yet, the music has been dire and totally forgettable so far.

I've found myself humming the Wind Waker music from Outset Island for some reason

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

@The_Peeps

...is the best duel I've seen in a Zelda game and would alone be enough reason enough why motion controls for sword fighting are awesome.

In the first phase, his fingers follow your sword tip, but change your stance long enough and he'll stop following, which makes him vulnerable. If you hit at the angle he holds his fingers at and don't manage to pull away the sword, he actually takes it away from you.

The second phase leaves unusually much choice for a Zelda boss. You can reflect the projectiles with the sword by striking at the correct angle, or block them with your shield. When he charges, you can dodge, try to attack at the right moment or again block with the shield.

It was definitely a good fight but the way I'm forced to move the Wiimote in heavily exaggerated and slow swings takes away from the action. I'm too aware of it if you get what I mean? I should be able to swing it like a sword but I can't do that - or if I do, the game lags behind me and loses calibration after a few seconds. Maybe I'm expecting too much from the technology.

Either way I'm still having a lot of fun with it but it's not immersing me like Nintendo had promised it would. I have to be too deliberate with my movements and it takes me right out of the game.

The first dungeon boss was ridiculously difficult for so early in the game, as in one of the toughest in any game. The challenge is great but it takes it too far. Ok once you learn how to battle it becomes easier but it takes a LOT of patience to get there, especially since it often seems like the technology lets you down rather than anything else. Re-calibrating every 3 attacks becomes tiresome as well.

The first stage I finally figured out, but the window of opportunity was far too small and unforgiving, at least he hardly ever attacked you. As for the second phase, I found it pretty much impossible to reflect his arrows, both in terms of timing and direction-wise I could never hit them all. The ones I did it just disintegrated. Evading him as he charges at you is also 9 times out of 10 impossible. The only way I beat him was to wait for him to appear behind me, hope that Z targetting spun me round quick enough and slash him sideways. 12 attacks later and he finally went down.

This may sound trivial, but you get this big mystical goddess tablet that will unlock a new part of the world map (Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks anyone? :hmm:) but from the musical jingle that plays when you get it you may as well have caught a bug from the ground. As with most of the music so far, anticlimactic.

Nintendo also seem less and less willing to use the traditional Zelda tune/theme, it was hardly in Twilight Princess, and almost never in the two DS games. Nothing so far in Skyward Sword.

I've found myself humming the Wind Waker music from Outset Island for some reason

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

10x more charm than anything so far in SS IMO.

Edited by Ronnie

i think this game is a bit of a grower, ive thought it was awesome since the beggining but it just seems to get better as you play through it.

3rd dungeon

did anyone else find this dungeon really hard? i've been stuck at least once in each dungeon so far, the first was the red thing hidden away, in the second it was that crack that had to be bombed but in the 3rd one i swear i was stuck for longer than the water temple! it was that damn spinny thing to open a door. felt like such a dumbass afterwards.

i think this game is a bit of a grower, ive thought it was awesome since the beggining but it just seems to get better as you play through it.

3rd dungeon

did anyone else find this dungeon really hard? i've been stuck at least once in each dungeon so far, the first was the red thing hidden away, in the second it was that crack that had to be bombed but in the 3rd one i swear i was stuck for longer than the water temple! it was that damn spinny thing to open a door. felt like such a dumbass afterwards.

yup after my initial problems fighting the first boss i thought i may end up hating the game, but it was short lived it just grew on me, now that i'm past the third dungeon i'm loving it. The only thing/things i don't like are one or two characters, but they are minor enough

as for your spoiler.....

45 min before i found out what to do with that, kept going through rooms trying to figure that out and eventually noticed what to do

:nono: i'm an idiot its so simple now

I've just finished it... it completely took my breath away. This is the best game I have ever played!

You could've saved yourself the trouble.

You'll be coming back anyway.

Can people PLEASE label their spoilers better than just 'spoilers' which could mean anything, and it's easy to assume that one in reply to a post about the first dungeon, had to do with the early part of the game.

I've just finished it... it completely took my breath away. This is the best game I have ever played!

You did what already? Damn Kav slow down a bit, haha

Well I got to the 2nd dungeoun last...

Took me awhile to get there kept exploring round different parts of the area before hand just in case. Also tried finding the key parts without dowsing (though I needed to for the 5th)

Got as far as getting the Bomb Bag and Map in the 2nd dungeon.

I'm loving the motion controls for the bombs especially the rolling. Had a real great feeling moment when you need to blow up the rocks to get into the room the bomb bag is in and you need to roll a bomb to it. I picked up a bomb flower and pressed z to recenter myself but somehow got confused and walked the wrong way. So I start running to get in position and almost felt like WiiSports Bowling how I rolled it just in time before it exploded and got the rocks too :D

Also loving you can now put bomb flowers into the bomb bag, WOOT.

How many hours did it take you?