NEurope
Hero-of-Time

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

I'd say I knew nothing about any of the Zelda games up 'till The Windwaker, because I was once a Sony boy:laughing:

But I think the best comparison made by someone in this thread, is with that of a book.

Zelda is quite story/secret driven, and, just like a book with, say, 30 chapters, you don't want to read various chapters of the book, and know which characters are excluded or included. Also, you wouldn't want to know where the protagonist finds certain things, learns certain lessons, and acquires such and such skill, in order to overcome his fears and ,......etc...

You get the point.

The element of surprise is a powerful thing, and when things are driven by surprises, references, and the like, you wouldn't want to know about it beforehand!

I'd have to agree with the above. It's weird how so many of us read up on nearly everything TP related. I remember there was a video of the intro and first 10 minutes of the game. Watched all of it. Also about the villain and whether Zelda was in it or not. Also most of the early cut scenes. I had all that revealed to me before I even put the disc in. I did think this ruined parts of it for me. The parts I enjoyed the most were the ones I knew the least about. I still don't rate TP too high as it seemed to follow the OOT set-up way too closely. You had the standard beginning 3 dungeons, you get conned by the villain who ruins everything, then it's onto another 5-6 dungeons. Some of which even in familiar locations. As I remember MM only had 4? Though it was fine because they had so much more personality and challenge to them. I'm just hoping the dungeons aren't just there to advance the plot line and have a little more effort thrown in.

I still don't rate TP too high as it seemed to follow the OOT set-up way too closely. You had the standard beginning 3 dungeons, you get conned by the villain who ruins everything, then it's onto another 5-6 dungeons. Some of which even in familiar locations.

I think you're confusing it with OoT-oh wait.

If only we had skyward sword now, i would happily d/c my internet

1 week today some of us might have the game :D

If you're in Swiss, you'll apparently have it tomorrow.

I can't find anywhere on that site that it will be out tomorrow in Switzerland. It says that they will send it on the 17th and that it comes out the 18th.

But yeah, one week to go!

Actually, I don't know why I've stayed spoiler free for this game after E3 this year. I think it might be because I want the surprises like everybody else and also like everyone else I saw too much of TP before it was out.

Edited by MindFreak

Guy at work said there's an embargo on online reviews that ends tomorrow, so we'll probably get quite a flood of new scores etc.

Back to the spoiler thing, I try to think back and I can't really remember how much I knew about each of the games. I presume I must have known as much about Wind Waker as I did about TP, but I won't say I didn't enjoy WW. Hell, I enjoyed TP, but I think it was relatively crap for its own reasons, and not what I knew beforehand.

I do think I'm avoiding spoilers to try and enhance the magic of SS though, to make it like I was a kid again(when you had no knowledge/input of what a game was because it barely existed). That combined with the fact I felt like I'd already started and thought I'd continue.

I've put two hours into it do far, and it certainly doesn't disappoint, bar a couple of control niggles. Can't wait to be able to discuss it with you all properly next week! :D

I've put two hours into it do far, and it certainly doesn't disappoint, bar a couple of control niggles. Can't wait to be able to discuss it with you all properly next week! :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQT98lgQmDsDGhLWa43Boi4ha8NoBq4uyse6PgD0Zv7PONGpbxaqwM194nyzQ

Nothing major - to be honest it's not as bad as I had expected after the almost constant realignment issues I experienced in certain Wii Sports Resort games.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQT98lgQmDsDGhLWa43Boi4ha8NoBq4uyse6PgD0Zv7PONGpbxaqwM194nyzQ

He said "niggles", not "obscenely annoying, game-breaking, wrist-wrecking fundamental design flaws so ubiquitous that Nintendo should pay you to play the game". Although, now that I think about it, that's usually how niggles are viewed once a bit of hyperbole is thrown into the mix, isn't it? ;)

Still, there better be no dramatic "niggles". Gamesradar has an interview with Anouma, and to me that sounds as if motion controls are here to stay. I'm kind of happy, cause it would be an absolute waste to throw them out on the WiiU, if they turn out to be really good.

GR: So do you think you'll continue to use motion control in the future? Will you ever go back to traditional controls?

EA: I don't think we could go back to button control, especially after creating something that's as natural to use as the interface that we have with the Wii Remote Plus in Skyward Sword. I think Nintendo will continue to have that focus on motion control and we'll see that continue to evolve. And the hardware as well, in a way that will let people control things very naturally just using their own motions.

GR: Looking forward, can you say anything about the Wii U Zelda project?

EA: What can I say…? It's a difficult question (laughs). We're just getting started on it even as we speak, so I'm just worried that if I let something slip that's off that mark…

The feedback that I've been getting from a lot of people on Skyward Sword is that they like the game very much, so of course I think probably the most important thing that we're focusing on right now is how do we take those elements that people seem to really love about Skyward Sword, and really bring that and connect that to what we do with Zelda on the Wii U while still continuing to evolve the game.

GR: Is there any particular feature of the Wii U hardware that you're excited to work with?

EA: Obviously, it's the new controller that's got the screen built into it, and in particular we're looking at how we can combine that new controller with something like motion control, and perhaps use the new controller in such a way that it becomes a new item that you're able to use to make the game feel fresh and new.

Edited by Burny

GR: So do you think you'll continue to use motion control in the future? Will you ever go back to traditional controls?

EA: I don't think we could go back to button control, especially after creating something that's as natural to use as the interface that we have with the Wii Remote Plus in Skyward Sword. I think Nintendo will continue to have that focus on motion control and we'll see that continue to evolve. And the hardware as well, in a way that will let people control things very naturally just using their own motions.

GR: Is there any particular feature of the Wii U hardware that you're excited to work with?

EA: Obviously, it's the new controller that's got the screen built into it, and in particular we're looking at how we can combine that new controller with something like motion control, and perhaps use the new controller in such a way that it becomes a new item that you're able to use to make the game feel fresh and new.

Well, this is just ridiculous, as the game's not even out yet. What if most of the fans think the control scheme is not as good as Wind Waker (the peak of traditional control, as far as Zelda goes)?

Also, Aonuma quite rightly wants to use the Wii U controller. So, are we going to have to hold that and a Wii remote and Nunchuk? I'm hoping he just meant he'd like to use the gyroscope that's in the Wii U controller, in the same way the 3DS has "motion control". At the very least, they should put a gyroscope in the Nunchuk too. I don't want to be using actual Wii controllers for the Wii U!

Let's wait and see what people think when they've played it anyway. The people who have to buy their games, I mean, not the magazines who get the game supplied free and feel duty bound to hype up any genuinely big Nintendo release...

Want to know what you are getting in the soundtrack?

The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Medley

listen to it if you want. changed my pants 50 times and I have only heard the first song

Well, this is just ridiculous, as the game's not even out yet. What if most of the fans think the control scheme is not as good as Wind Waker (the peak of traditional control, as far as Zelda goes)?

Perfect controls as in b,b,b,b,counter A, b,b,b,b

People who play it from what I am reading are saying that this is the perfect game when it comes to controls, just the idea of how all the enemies are like puzzles and waving the wii-mote won't get you far has me excited. fighting mechanics that make you think before just doing the same routine is awesome.

Edited by killer kirby

I've actually tried to stay fairly spoiler free after the first batch of trailers/videos came out.

I know a bit about the game - main villian, transport, world, miscellaneous... but nothing I'd say was major spoilery. I know nothing much about the actual story, 0% about dungeons and I've avoided the supposed 'major character' spoiler that some have tripped up on. I can have a guess at who it is but I hope it's not who I assume it to be as that would be a major cop-out.

I think I'm going to love this game though. I get the impression we're going to be playing something special again rather than 'just another Zelda'.

You should have gone to the concert you would need 500 pairs

Yes something about it not coming to Australia is what makes me unable to go, I would have paid easily up to $200 to see it even for a shit seat.

It had about the same controls as every other 3D game with a dual analogue setup. They work. As Zelda isn't about ridiculous attack combos (and hopefully never will be :heh:) though, they're also as conventional and boring in combat as it gets.

Aside from that, Anouma, the Zelda team and the game testers must've played the game to death during development. If they still liked the controls that much after that, they're in a very good position to decide if these controls should be adopted by future Zeldas. A far better position than some "fans" with a predetermined opinion on motion controls at least. :p

aaaaaand the reviews are pouring in, and by god what an awesome roller coaster ride :D

Reviewing at it's finest xD

MEPtY.png

Oh yeah and something something ign gave it a 10 something something...embracing Gamespots 7.7 score

Edited by killer kirby

Gamesradar gave it a 9 but said this...

Is it better than...

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess? No

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker? No

Seeing as I personally don't rate TP I guess my lack of hype for this may very well be justified. Time will tell...

Ngamer review is up: 9.8

A huge departure for Zelda and a proper arrival for Wii's motion controls. Link's latest is rule-breaking, dream-weaving, tech-loving, heart-soaring stuff. If it Wii's last hurrah, they don't come more impassioned than this.

aaaaaand the reviews are pouring in, and by god what an awesome roller coaster ride :D

MEPtY.png

Oh yeah and something something ign gave it a 10 something something...embracing Gamespots 7.7 score

I read that review. It seems that the reviewer was just trying to do it like Twilight Princes and "waggling" in order to get it to work

Now, due to the enemy design revolving around the motion-control gimmick and being forced to use the MotionPlus—which follows you too well—you’re often pulled out of the immersion, because you’re constantly reminded that you are holding a controller whenever the controller doesn’t do what you want.

I lol'd

A 10 from IGN is pretty impressive, they don't seem to give many of those out. Lacklustre motion controls seems to point more to incompetence by that player, rather than Nintendo's part.

MEPtY.png

That's a summary of what exactly, one review?

No idea where Gamespot's 7.7 score came on, they don't seem to have reviewed it yet.