NEurope
Hero-of-Time

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

I would love to see voice acting in Zelda, but only if the story is bigger and has more dialouge, otherwise you never get used to it.

I would be perfectly happy never having voices in Zelda games. I normally pioneer for games like this moving forward in similar respects, but speech in Zelda just doesn't fit the atmosphere.

Yeah honestly I can't see Link/Zelda/Ganondorf being given [the correct] voices... well not Link, as he's never given dialogue anyway! And having everyone else talking and not the three lead characters would be a bit wierd anyway... and also a case of, well where do you stop giving out voices?!

I wouldn't mind in the slightest if they didn't talk, but maybe they could move away from the brief noises and gibberish you get from supporting characters now, and maybe develope languages for the races... so the Hylians/Gorons/Zora's etc... all had fully voiced sentences... for which you're reading the translation.

Yeah honestly I can't see Link/Zelda/Ganondorf being given [the correct] voices... well not Link, as he's never given dialogue anyway! And having everyone else talking and not the three lead characters would be a bit wierd anyway... and also a case of, well where do you stop giving out voices?!

I wouldn't mind in the slightest if they didn't talk, but maybe they could move away from the brief noises and gibberish you get from supporting characters now, and maybe develope languages for the races... so the Hylians/Gorons/Zora's etc... all had fully voiced sentences... for which you're reading the translation.

They did that for Jabun in Wind Waker and it worked quite well I thought. Although the King of the Red Lions still spoke in speech bubbles in that conversation which was a little odd.

And having everyone else talking and not the three lead characters would be a bit wierd anyway... and also a case of, well where do you stop giving out voices?!

Obviously everyone but Link would have to talk. You can't let the main characters who get the most dialogue remain mute. :indeed: Finding the right voices isn't some sort of unsolvable problem. After all Pixar and Disney create all kinds of non-human speaking characters as well.

For the distinction what to voice and what not they could also apply a rather easy rule of thump: Cut scenes without player control that develop the story have to be voiced. Player "controlled" text bubble dialogue outside of cut scenes that merely tells you "Go to place X and pick up Y" should not be voiced (or rather: limited to the usual gibberish).

I'm personally fine with "mute" characters in Zelda. But seeing some of the cut scenes from the Skyward Sword footage, I do think that a bit of well placed understandable voice acting could add a lot to the game's mass appeal. I just can't imagine that voice acting for the less important NPCs and dialogues would add anything to the game.

The only way I'll accept voice acting in a Zelda game is if it's in Hylian and not in English, Japanese etc.

Need I remind you of the Hylian sounds Valoo uttered in The WindWaker when he thanked Link for saving his tail...

Need I remind you of the Hylian sounds Valoo uttered in The WindWaker when he thanked Link for saving his tail...
umm.................

...yes?!

Yeah honestly I can't see Link/Zelda/Ganondorf being given [the correct] voices...

Surely Brian Blessed could make for a mean Ganondorf!

Surely Brian Blessed could make for a mean Ganondorf!

True, but then Joe Pasquale would have to be cast as Link.

Plus due to the darker colour of the Gerudo skin you'd expect him to sound a little more ethnic.

True, but then Joe Pasquale would have to be cast as Link.

Didn't we establish that Link has to remain mute? ;)

umm.................

...yes?!

Skip to 6:00

Unfortunately, this was the only footage I could find and there are two annoying people making noises when the noble Valoo is speaking...

Anyway, Hylian, in Valoo style, sounds like a dragon yawning:laughing:

Didn't we establish that Link has to remain mute? ;)

If you've got to have Blessed as Ganondorf, you're going to have to make the sacrifice and give Link the majestic tones of Pasquale. Then Ganondorf can call Link "Underdog" and after Link kills him he can say "You're not laughing now, are ya?"

Link does speak at 00.20

Come on!

Yeah they did that well... he sounds just as you'd expect, as it's along the lines of all the yells he makes in OOT/MM/WW when swinging his sword etc...

And not forgetting @0:10

Ah, every time I see screenshots of Wind Waker I'm reminded of how utterly brilliant it was.

The meow is so totally genius, was actually just saying about it to my mate the other night as we reminisced about how amazing wind waker was! Also how nobody now really goes on about how terribly shit the graphics are and totally like omg I can't believe they've made such a kiddy zelda jeez nintendo grow up ffs!

Regarding voice acting I think it would be good if it was done in a babblish sort of way, don't think proper real voices talking actual words would be appropriate in Zelda.

Link's "Come on!" in Wind Waker makes me smile every time I hear it :)

Am I the only one who thought this was just a noise? It doesn't sound like "Come on!" to me at all.

Well, it worked for Gordon Freeman in HL/HL2, but that's not really the issue for me. It would just break some barriers in the Zelda world for me and take away some of the magic. It's like the Zelda universe lives inside its own little bubble and conventional gaming things like speech and full motion videos would shatter this.

Am I the only one who thought this was just a noise? It doesn't sound like "Come on!" to me at all.

qtip.jpg

?

But it does. It's obscured somewhat, just like Navi shouting "Link" (the "l" sound there is also hardly distinguishable), but definitely sounds like "Come on!".

It would just break some barriers in the Zelda world for me and take away some of the magic. It's like the Zelda universe lives inside its own little bubble and conventional gaming things like speech and full motion videos would shatter this.

The question is if it's possible to extend that bubble by adding voice acting. Desperately clinging to traditions where they don't make any sense won't do so. There are always some ridiculous complaints being thrown around when it comes to Zelda. The people who shout for a deep plot and complain about having "another fire temple" for instance, probably won't care for Zelda unless it's been altered until it is no longer Zelda, but some Western RPG with Zelda skins. The complaints about the lack of voice acting however are definitely valid to some extend.

Cut scenes in Zelda are getting so cinematic, that the addition of it would be a no brainer everywhere else, as animation on such a level doesn't quiet fit with mute characters. That voice acting can be very successfully combined with a silent protagonist and doesn't need to result in stereotypical over-characterized chatterbox for a main character has been shown by Half Life and Portal. Why shouldn't Nintendo try with Zelda? It could create just as much "magic" as it takes tradition away.

Edited by Burny

I thought Navi shouted "Look" not "Link"... given that you can name Link whatever you like.

But yeah it's definately "Come On" seeing as it gets the character to follow you and all, and the fact it sounds like it!

Spoiler Free European trailer

Robin Williams' guru persona would have been better if he still had the beard :P