NEurope
Hero-of-Time

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

I've just realised I won't be home for the majority of the weekend this game is released. :weep:

All the missed minutes of Zelda goodness.

I'm glad I'll be returning from my holiday a few days before it's released. This gives me about 2 weeks to complete Arkham City and put Assassin's Creed on a very far backbench.

Voice acting.

Ahh, then this'll definitely be dual layer given link talking and all in this one. I'd like to think they've really packed lots in and so it will be dual layer, but it's quite suprising how hard it is to actually find out.

Genius idea to split the two topics for spoilers and non-spoilers. Very easy to avoid the other one now :)

So will you guys at N-E be getting a review copy?

Genius idea to split the two topics for spoilers and non-spoilers. Very easy to avoid the other one now :)

And it has been for the past four months. You've posted in this thread before, you know.

Sometimes I wonder about you.

Lol I wasn't sure this topic would last long given there's not much to talk about but I'm pleased to have been proven wrong. Keep wondering about me though :-)

I saw a very regrettable spoiler in one of the headlines on Siliconera, so be careful about that site. Explained what one of the bosses is like.

I've decided I'm going to read all the reviews though. I remember IGN was a little more in-depth about Twilight Princess than I'd have liked, but I'm just going to chance it.

Hhhmm... never really thought about it but I imagine SS would be a big game (remembering I know nothing of the game so it may be smaller than I imagine) and would be on a dual-layer disc.

I always thought Monster Hunter 3 was dual-layered but not sure now as google has failed me for once and seems to be unable to find a list of Wii games that are on DL discs :heh:

You'd think at the very least Wikipedia would have an entry for it, but even that is empty

I saw a very regrettable spoiler in one of the headlines on Siliconera, so be careful about that site. Explained what one of the bosses is like.

I've decided I'm going to read all the reviews though. I remember IGN was a little more in-depth about Twilight Princess than I'd have liked, but I'm just going to chance it.

Yes IGN seem to give away plenty of spoilers in their Zelda reviews.

I would love to watch the Gametrailers video review, but that will be just as bad, if not worse.

In case anyone cares, GamePro Germany gave it 93%.

Apparently, they criticised the aliasing, the textures, complained about lack of voice acting and something a bit spoilery

The aliasing... really? :indeed:

What does that mean?

Does it mean that recognisable characters have gotten aliases?

Yes, they're upset that Link is now known as Bob. Zelda's known as Robert. It's very confusing.

Anti-aliasing is used to smooth out polygonal edges, so they're complaining about how the game has a lot of jaggies.

In case anyone cares, GamePro Germany gave it 93%.

Apparently, they criticised the aliasing, the textures, complained about lack of voice acting and something a bit spoilery

Thanks for the heads up of the review score :) Really odd though that they complained about the lack of voice acting since the series has never had it and it's never been something to expect in a Zelda game. Bit like complaining that Mario games don't have guns in them.::shrug:

Thanks for the heads up of the review score :) Really odd though that they complained about the lack of voice acting since the series has never had it and it's never been something to expect in a Zelda game. Bit like complaining that Mario games don't have guns in them.::shrug:

If Skyward Sword didn't have orchestrated music, surely you wouldn't defend it by saying that Zelda games have always had midi music?

Truth is, voice acting is long overdue in Zelda.

If Skyward Sword didn't have orchestrated music, surely you wouldn't defend it by saying that Zelda games have always had midi music?

Truth is, voice acting is long overdue in Zelda.

No no no no no no no no.

I'd rather have my own intestines ripped out by a rabid gopher than suffer voice acting in Zelda games

No no no no no no no no.

I'd rather have my own intestines ripped out by a rabid gopher than suffer voice acting in Zelda games

You know, I don't think it would be that bad.

Link of course should always remain silent. The silent protagonist approach works incredibly well for Valve games and Metroid Prime 3. Links personailty doesn't need fleshing out. But the other characters might just as well be voiced in cut scenes. Text-bubble dialogue could still remain unvoiced. The ridiculous requests from NPCs don't need to be acted out in painstaking detail.

You know, I don't think it would be that bad.

Link of course should always remain silent. The silent protagonist approach works incredibly well for Valve games and Metroid Prime 3. Links personailty doesn't need fleshing out. But the other characters might just as well be voiced in cut scenes. Text-bubble dialogue could still remain unvoiced. The ridiculous requests from NPCs don't need to be acted out in painstaking detail.

If that were to happen, people would bitch about it not being everyone

If that were to happen, people would bitch about it not being everyone

Let them bitch. They would bitch just as much when they realized that many of the side characters simply don't make for interesting voice acting, but had to listen to them anyway.

Zelda has a lot of very cinematic scenes and today it's convention to have them voice acted. Given that these scenes have become ever more elaborate in recent games, voice acting would fit in naturally.

The only way I'll accept voice acting in a Zelda game is if it's in Hylian and not in English, Japanese etc.

The only way I'll accept voice acting in a Zelda game is if it's in Hylian and not in English, Japanese etc.

Someone will always bitch. You'll be the one who will, if Nintendo decides voice acting might give Zelda more mass appeal... :heh:

If voice acting is EVER EVER EVER in a Zelda game, it has to be on the same path as Midna's gibberish when she talked, just have npc's do more gibberish talking. To me that would add even more charm.

Agreed, Midna-like gibberish is all that's needed. I'd hate to see full voice acting, it just suit the series.