NEurope
Hero-of-Time

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

I think I'll have to avoid the spoiler-free thread from now on. Because of spoilers.

Yeah guys come on, the spoiler free thread means no spoilers at all. No comments about gameplay aspects, controls, fighting, puzzles... even difficulty. Only thing I want to read on those subjects is speculation from people who have no actual knowledge of it.

And if you need to tag it, it doesn't belong here.

Well, I read the online Edge review as I thought it wouldn't be too bad, and I'd say it isn't, really. For those who don't mind the mildest of spoilers, it's pretty good. Definitely has me more hyped up for the game!

Well, I read the online Edge review as I thought it wouldn't be too bad, and I'd say it isn't, really. For those who don't mind the mildest of spoilers, it's pretty good. Definitely has me more hyped up for the game!

Mildest of spoilers you say?

Hmmmm.... how mild, without spoiling? :D

Dunno really, does it reveal more than the basics that we've seen in trailers? Things like number of dungeons or a mentioning a new item and what it does I can live with.

How do you figure? We've gone into the effort of splitting the thread in two for a reason, I don't see the need to even enter this thread if you know any spoilers.

Some people (myself included) find a lot of the enjoyment from a game (or any media) in the surprises, in having no information about the gameplay at all before you start so that everything is fresh. It gives you more "wow, no way!" moments. So we want a place to share our anticipation with like-minded people.

There should've been no need for this meta-discussion at all within this thread, but some people can't seem to keep from opening their mouths....

Mildest of spoilers you say?

Hmmmm.... how mild, without spoiling? :D

They don't even mention who the main character is.

I may or may not have read the review.

Wow, some people are really anal in here.

You sound like Kotaku, Diageo. :heh:

Dunno really, does it reveal more than the basics that we've seen in trailers? Things like number of dungeons or a mentioning a new item and what it does I can live with.

It doesn't really do either. Mainly talks about the controls, some basic game structure, but overall it keeps it rather vague without mentioning anything too specific. It might mention an item or two briefly, more in a frame of reference than anything else, and in the case that it does it's usually something you're already expecting. Same goes for that of enemies.

Honestly, I think it's a relatively good spoiler-friendly review, and with just three and a half weeks away don't think it'll do you more harm than any trailers. There's some pictures(I copied and pasted it into word and read it from there, I swear it copied some pics/thumbs I didn't notice before). However seeing people already upset by what others have posted then maybe it isn't for you.

On the whole I'd say it's a fantastic review, 10/10. Giving it the first 10 that I've ever given a review.

How do you figure? We've gone into the effort of splitting the thread in two for a reason, I don't see the need to even enter this thread if you know any spoilers.

Some people (myself included) find a lot of the enjoyment from a game (or any media) in the surprises, in having no information about the gameplay at all before you start so that everything is fresh. It gives you more "wow, no way!" moments. So we want a place to share our anticipation with like-minded people.

There should've been no need for this meta-discussion at all within this thread, but some people can't seem to keep from opening their mouths....

Must be hard running a site on which, among others things, reviews are created then:laughing:

I'm just a forum admin, the site's not part of my jurisdiction :) otherwise yeah there would have to be a fair amount of finger-in-ears-la-la-la.

Please feel for those of us who have to parse Nintendo's 'Let's Reveal Every Bit of the Game Bit-by-Bit' press releases.

Please feel for those of us who have to parse Nintendo's 'Let's Reveal Every Bit of the Game Bit-by-Bit' press releases.

Haha, honestly I'm so glad ye newsies do such a great job so that I can ignore those press releases :heh:

Zelda totally kills Dumbledore.

:D:o *gasp* *shock* *horror*

Indeed. I do remember that with OoT, I bought a magazine with the review in it, and just glanced at the score. Didn't read a bit or even take a good look at the pictures. Then waited until Christmas when we finally got the presents, Christmas lights twinkling in the dark afternoon, opened the package, put the cart in and turned on the power...and it was friggin' magic :) Can still remember that moment in the Koriri Woods so well...

Hmm. So yes, maybe all these videos, pictures, reviews and so on really destroy part of the mystery of playing games, the wonder of finding out for yourself...I mean when reading a book, you don't read bits and pieces beforehand, but wait until you get the whole piece in your hands, and then devour it in your own delicious peace, making joyous discoveries all on your own :) It's like the whole masterpiece is unfolding before your very eyes for the first ever time...makes you really feel like a true explorer of the unknown. And that my friends, is awesome.

Comparing it to a book as you have, I'd say the Edge review is not much worse than a lengthy blurb.

It'll be interesting to see, playing a game spoiler free like this, whether the magic of games as a kid came from the novel knowing nothing about it, or because they were just better! They did have more novel gameplay/shifts(ie OoT and SM64 moving a standard into 3D) but even so, I'm looking forward very much to SS from the Edge review.

I'd say things were different for us back in OoT days too, a limited space magazine article with words and stills would in absolutely no way manage to capture or convey what I consider the beauty of an absolutely fantastic opening of Navi flying through Korkiri Forest in OoT, compared to now where there's gameplay and trailers and pictures at every other click of the button in a much vaster space.

There's less discussion and room for speculation from the magazine article you and maybe 2 kids read out of the ten of you talking about the game, whereas now it's just like 'oh man have you seen the new zelda its amazing! you haven't? oh i'll totally facebook you a video of EVERYTHING IN THE ENTIRE GAME'.

Edited by Rummy

All I know about the game is that there's a sky world and the world below. Oh and it's set before OOT. One of the reasons I don't want to look at any videos is that I saw one where it showed you how a puzzle was solved. Didn't appreciate that really. I'm going to have to buy a bumper pack of batteries for this game...

Same here. :(

When the game reviews start flooding in, I don't mind reading what the individual scores are if they are posted here. But I rather whole written reviews or video reviews weren't posted. What does anyone else think?

Anyone else worried about their launch day Wii being unable to play this? Isn't it a dual layered disc like Smash Bros Brawl?

I don't have Brawl so can't test if mine will be ok. Apparently it's as simple as cleaning the lens but that'll mean sending your console back to Nintendo.

Anyone else worried about their launch day Wii being unable to play this? Isn't it a dual layered disc like Smash Bros Brawl?

I don't have Brawl so can't test if mine will be ok. Apparently it's as simple as cleaning the lens but that'll mean sending your console back to Nintendo.

Wii Cleaning Kit

This is the first I've heard of this :blank:, is it just the idea that launch day Wiis will have been overused and need a bit of a clean? If that's the case it's probably not a problem for me, since I don't use mine much :heh:

I highly doubt it's dual-layered. The bitch that takes up the most space in video games is VA, I believe. Only Brawl, Other M and Xenoblade are dual-layered, AFAIK. For reference, Twilight Princess was just under 2 GB. Single layered discs can go up to 4.7.

VA?

I've got a launch day wii and never had problems, though I think I did take it apart for some lols once and alcohol'd the laser whilst I was there(not recommending this to anybody so don't hold me responsible for anything). I haven't used the wii all that much, but I never have problems with Brawl or Xenoblade unless I'm being a disc mangling spakker. Definitely consider trying to test the wii on dual layer stuff before launch, though, I know a lot of annoyance occured when the brawl issue appeared.

Can't find anything on tinternets to suggest what kind of disc this will be.