NEurope
Hero-of-Time

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

Jeff Gerstmann is on GiantBomb and this week he said the last time he played it it was "a hastily slapped together set of Wii MotionPlus tech demos. I assume it's a real game now.".

Using that logic, every other game is a slapped together set of controller button tech demos

Yes we do need more people like him who give games like Tony Hawk a 10/10

Also Edge gave both Wind Waker and TP a 9

Maybe Tony Hawk is good? I don't know, I'm not interested in skateboarding. Besides, I was just saying he's an honest reviewer, I didn't say I agreed with everything he said.

As for Edge, I really don't see what that's got to do with anything. I was commending their reviews, not saying they gave a low score to TP or should have said it was a bad game.

Jeff Gerstmann is on GiantBomb and this week he said the last time he played it it was "a hastily slapped together set of Wii MotionPlus tech demos. I assume it's a real game now.".

Sounds like he's still got his talents of perception then!

As for Edge, I really don't see what that's got to do with anything. I was commending their reviews, not saying they gave a low score to TP or should have said it was a bad game.

Edge to me has is one of the fairest and down to earth reviewers around.

I still love how they gave FFX a 6 FFXII a 9 and then FFXIII a 5 :D And also gave DQIX a 9. So yeah I have no complaints with them.

Edge to me has is one of the fairest and down to earth reviewers around.

I still love how they gave FFX a 6 FFXII a 9 and then FFXIII a 5 :D And also gave DQIX a 9. So yeah I have no complaints with them.

It's important, I think, that reviewers can give the "big" games honest scores, whether that means Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy, the big "Xbox" games like Call of Duty or even Dragon Quest! Yeah, sometimes they may be trying to attract attention, but it's more likely that's just what they think of the game. Whether a review is negative, positive or somewhere inbetween, honesty is the most important factor.

First review in.

98% in ONM:

Official Nintendo Magazine have awarded The Legend Of Zelda Skyward Sword their joint highest review score ever. Yes, the new issue of Official Nintendo Magazine is on sale now and it features the first Legend Of Zelda Skyward Sword review.

[...]

ONM's review states that The Legend Of Zelda Skyward Sword is the "best Zelda game ever made."

[...]

Summing up, ONM's review said "It's not something we say lightly, but the Zelda series really has never been this good."

link

Damn you. I wasn't that excited until now.

Damn youuu.

You could still convince you that this is the "official fanboy magazine of rose tinted glasses". It's not too late! ;) Or you could wait until the reviews complaining about the general SD-ness and motion-control-ness start trickling in to quench your excitement. :heh:

It's worth remembering that they gave Twilight Princess 97%...

I'd give it a 9.5/10 so I dont have any issue with there TP score. November is going to raaaaaaaaaaaaawk.

It's worth remembering that they gave Twilight Princess 97%...

Good point, there goes its credibility.

Personally I find it hard to take /100 review scores seriously anyway.

I'd give Twilight Princess a 93.43/10. I can't take any review that's higher or lower than that seriously.

My hype levels remain undisturbed, because, really... Official Nintendo Magazine? :indeed:

I don't see how anyone can trust anything called 'Official [Company] Magazine'. You wouldn't read Official Saab Magazine and expect unbiased reviews of their cars.

I'm personally waiting for the Eurogamer review as they usually seem on the money to me.

To be fair it makes little difference really, I will buy the game regardless and see if I like it myself.

Problem is, everyone is going to be so critical of the control system because it deviates from the norm...as seen with Gerstmann, some may not see it as using controls but as "tech demos"

Problem is, everyone is going to be so critical of the control system because it deviates from the norm...as seen with Gerstmann, some may not see it as using controls but as "tech demos"

At this point in the Wii's life, if a reviewer doesn't know how to review a game with motion controls, then he should just quit his job. But yeah I totally agree and i'm expecting such a backlash.

To be fair, how many games have there been where you move with the Nunchuk and use Motion Plus for the action? I can only think of Red Steel 2. As accurate as it is, it's certainly not a proven success for a game formula yet.

The best motion control on the Wii is probably in the Mario Galaxy games, as you just use the normal Wii remote to flick, shake or tilt (and point, obviously). Metroid Prime 3 was trying to do this sort of motion control, but without Motion Plus. That games suffered because of the (lack of) accuracy. Now that problem's been fixed, will it make a good game? We'll see...

Regardless, some won't like the motion controls, and I hope that's reflected in the reviews.

Regardless, some won't like the motion controls, and I hope that's reflected in the reviews.

If the controls don't work, then fair enough, mark the game down for it. On the other hand, if the controls work well and help enhance the gameplay, but the game still gets marked down because the reviewer just doesn't like motion controlled games, then that's just flat out wrong and unprofessional.

If the controls don't work, then fair enough, mark the game down for it. On the other hand, if the controls work well and help enhance the gameplay, but the game still gets marked down because the reviewer just doesn't like motion controlled games, then that's just flat out wrong and unprofessional.

Bingo. I think people will say "Yeah, the motion works, but it's just as easy to do with a button-press/analogue stick" for many things such as flight

Man, I am upset. I booked a meeting the morning this comes out, which means I won't be able to play it til late! :(

Then I might be going on holiday at the end of november, which means I have to take a break in between! Double upset :( :(

Getting excited though, just four weeks away!

I heard, not seen it yet, that Edge has given the game a 10

mind_blown.gif

If so, it might just make me less bitter that pretty much every publication's 'single obligatory obscure-ish GOTY nomination' will almost certainly go to the sequel Dark Souls rather than the game-changingly awesome Xenoblade. Not that I want to be authoritarian about it or anything.

I don't see how anyone can trust anything called 'Official [Company] Magazine'. You wouldn't read Official Saab Magazine and expect unbiased reviews of their cars.

You realise it's just a name right? It's not a publication put out by Nintendo.

I know that they are infamously biased with regards to first party games but it's still a big thing for them to say it's the best Zelda ever.

HO-LY FUCK!

lol, are you actually taking an official review score seriously?

mind_blown.gif

If so, it might just make me less bitter that pretty much every publication's 'single obligatory obscure-ish GOTY nomination' will almost certainly go to the sequel Dark Souls rather than the game-changingly awesome Xenoblade. Not that I want to be authoritarian about it or anything.

What rubbish, I can't believe anyone would think Xenoblade is more 'game changing' than Dark Souls.

Xenoblade is great but by no means game changing. Dark Souls has awesome gameplay and is a slap in the face to just about every modern game out there that is usually a pushover by comparison.

It's actually amazing that Dark Souls has managed to go mainstream despite the culture promoting hand holding, lengthy tutorials and constant checkpoint gaming today.

lol, are you actually taking an official review score seriously?

What rubbish, I can't believe anyone would think Xenoblade is more 'game changing' than Dark Souls.

Xenoblade is great but by no means game changing. Dark Souls has awesome gameplay and is a slap in the face to just about every modern game out there that is usually a pushover by comparison.

It's actually amazing that Dark Souls has managed to go mainstream despite the culture promoting hand holding, lengthy tutorials and constant checkpoint gaming today.

I'd like to think the hint of self-deprecation in my post was apparent enough to render it unfit to be taken seriously. What are you really angry about?