NEurope
Hero-of-Time

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

Just noticed that Mario 3D Land comes out on the exact same date as this? Has this ever happened before? Both a completely new Mario and Zelda coming out on the same day...

Not that I'm aware of, though there's the argument of console vs handheld. It seems a lot of shiz is kicking off around that time, maybe it's Nintendo's magic christmas date for reeping in the sales or something. They're definitely gonna have a good christmas!

Some of the Japanese Flipnote winners of the 25th The Legend of Zelda Anniversary contest.

Looking around at pre-order, I see no one mentions the soundtrack CD in the standard release. I understood that all packages would include the CD... is this not right?

Looking around at pre-order, I see no one mentions the soundtrack CD in the standard release. I understood that all packages would include the CD... is this not right?

I think only the pack that has the Gold Wiimote has the CD?

Lol, I was just considering to pre-order the LE on Game online store. 101£ they want for it :p The regular is 56, which is average, so I might order that later, but right now it's not that important. Was thinking of just walk down when the store opens so I don't have to gamble with the mail, particulary for a larger package like the LE. Burned myself on that with FFXIII, arrived on Monday.

...FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

I've just signed up to Sainsburys, had the pre-order in my basket, was inputting card details and it told me my basket was empty.

Went to add it back in, get told it's not available now.

FUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOU ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

...FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

I've just signed up to Sainsburys, had the pre-order in my basket, was inputting card details and it told me my basket was empty.

Went to add it back in, get told it's not available now.

FUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOU ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

keep checkin. its been appearing in and out of stock all day.

SHORTY

As much as I like to save money, I'm gonna stick with my ShopTo preorder, I worry that sainsburys might end up not being reliable.

I see a collectors version of the guide book has been announced. It's just like the others that have been released for Phantom Hourglass, Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks. It will feature a hardcover and have a cloth map just like the previous guides.

Just over a month until it's in our hands. :hehe:

Be interesting to see what Edge give it in their review. Most reviews went OTT in their praise of TP, 'best Zelda game evaaa' etc, but Edge ones are usually pretty spot on when assessing Zelda.

1 Month To Go

I've been avoiding these Skyward Sword threads until now because even the spoiler free topic has too much info for me. For the first time in my gaming history, with the exception of back in the gameboy days, I'm going into a big first party Nintendo game completely blind. :D

Be interesting to see what Edge give it in their review. Most reviews went OTT in their praise of TP, 'best Zelda game evaaa' etc, but Edge ones are usually pretty spot on when assessing Zelda.

Quite. They were one of the few to notice the graphics had been downgraded - "No longer the beauty it once seemed", or words to that effect.

IGN's UK review was also perceptive, with a more reasonable score.

I forgot about the infamous 8.8! That's another reviewer to listen to then.

Only out of curiosity, it was pretty much universally agreed that they did that for the publicity.

Jeff from Gamespot - one of the few reviewers who would dare to give a "big" game a score of under 9.0 and an honest review. Unfortunately, he left the site in 2007... We need more like him, not less.

Iwata Asks: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

No really spoilers only about background details on the development but i will put them in spoiler tags incase.

- dev team took a 'big detour' during development

- dev team was able to pack in many kind of gameplay

- each enemies and residents sections had a leader during development

- work began when Twilight Princess was complete

- Aonuma felt intense pressure to use MotionPlus

- the game's basic button control scheme was thrown out for MotionPlus

- the team had trouble making sure Link was hitting enemies with the sharp part of his sword instead of just bashing with all different angles

- the team studied elbow structure to try and make things work, but they decided a blent of realistic and fake worked best

- Miyamoto struggled to beat Ghirahim

- Miyamoto called the dev team late at night and told them to work on having Link stop his sword mid-swing, instead of always following through

- this lead to the heavenly strike

- adding that move also paved the way for the game's name

- the dev team added Link's ability to dash up some walls as a response to the awkward bounce-back that Link experiences when running in A Link to the Past

- the dev team says the MotionPlus item selecting allows you to pick items without even looking at the screen, simply because you know the angle at which they sit in the menu

- Miyamoto really liked this idea, with Fujibayashi saying that he received his first bit of Miyamoto praise ever for the idea

- there's a virtual string attached to the pointer hand when selecting items, so you don't move out of item range

- the creation of the beetle lead to the mechanical theme in some aspects of the game

- the rocket fist idea that came before the beetle also lead to some of the game's theme

- Aonuma is not a fan of fighting games where you have to remember button combos

- development took 5 years

- not that many new items appear this time

- the focus is on content this time around

- the team built up hundreds of interesting elements

Edited by Dante

Jeff from Gamespot - one of the few reviewers who would dare to give a "big" game a score of under 9.0 and an honest review. Unfortunately, he left the site in 2007... We need more like him, not less.

Yes we do need more people like him who give games like Tony Hawk a 10/10

Also Edge gave both Wind Waker and TP a 9

Edited by killer kirby