NEurope
Hero-of-Time

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

With E3 done and dusted many hands on reports are surfacing as are trailers, gameplay footage and screens. With this in mind there may be some of us who prefer to not know anything more about the game, hence this topic. In here you can talk about the game and speculate without having anything spoiled for you. At the same time those who want to talk about hands on impressions and the like will now be able to talk freely in the other thread.

Enjoy.

Well I know absolutely nothing shown at E3 so I think i'll avoid both threads now :heh:

I don't want to know anything, bar peoples impressions of it. Is it amazing, does it look and sound amazing, are wiimotion plus controls increidble, is there bomb bowling puzzles every 3 minutes/... these are the confirmations I need :)

I just want to know a release date so Nintendo can have my money :heh:

Good idea. I'd still like to hear opinions of people staying spoiler free so will venture on both topics... wish I could stick with this one but it'll never work. I do think massive TP spoilers everywhere didn't help its general reception.

I must say, I'm getting excited about this now, just the realisation that I'll be able to play the next console Zelda in the next five months. I've been waiting for it so long, I think I sort of pretended it didn't exist.

As for spoilers, I can understand why this thread exists. I think Nintendo's official trailers are fine to watch, but I've read some previews that stated how many swords and shields are in the game (and which type), which is the sort of thing I like to find out when I play it. I also watched the 20 minute gameplay video (my fault, I know), and that shows you how to do some puzzles in the first dungeon.

Anyway, I really like the new trailer. I love the giant birds (hope they were designed before Avatar!) and there were some cool scenes. I'm also pleased the colours are so vibrant again.

Another thing is that the tune is really growing on me. Funny how just reversing Zelda's Lullaby can produce a decent melody.

Few weeks ago i think i posted saying that i wasn't excited for this.

Well after watching the E3 trailer i must say i am looking forward to it a bit more now. Not to the point where i am like OMFG NEW ZELDA, but it is growing!

Still looking forward to OoT 3DS more but that might just be becasue we KNOW it's an amazing game and it's out in a few days! :grin:

Thanks for posting this topic.

Now we can talk about how Midna and Child Ganon reside in Skyloft without having to use those stupid spoiler tags!

Just kidding (None of this is true). Still, it'd be pretty bad to get these topics confused...

So what's the topic of conversation of this thread then, how much we're looking forward to it? Can't see it lasting too long until later in the year when release gets closer

I haven't a clue if this has been posted in the other topic as I refuse to go in there.

For a game that is so heavily focused on Wii MotionPlus technology, it's almost unfathomable to imagine The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword without it. And yet, according to the game's producer, Eiji Aonuma, that's exactly what almost happened.

During a recent interview, Aonuma-san revealed to us that after Skyward Sword had been in development for a couple of years with MotionPlus in mind, he started to wonder if this wasn't the direction he wanted to follow for the next big console Zelda title. For two or three months the game was then actually developed without the technology.

Obviously, Aonuma-san eventually came around and brought MotionPlus back into the game, but not without a little help from Katsuya Eguchi, developer of Wii Sports Resort. "Mr. Eguchi came to me and said, 'Look at all these things you can do with Motion Plus, why wouldn't you use this in a Zelda game? It would be strange not to!'"

Of course, Zelda is known for having lots of twists and turns during development, which perhaps accounts for Skyward Sword's delayed release. Until Zelda creator Shigeru Miyamoto dropped the bomb late last year that the game was only halfway done, most of us were under the impression that it was in fact very close to completion. Aonuma-san explained that while there were a few enemies that you could battle at E3 2010, it was more just a demonstration of how basic swordplay would work than a testament to how the finished product would be.

"This last year we've been testing those ideas, flushing them out, and integrating them into the game, bringing the whole package together. Tying all those elements together has been a big part of what we've done in the last year," Aonuma-san said. Judging from the Skyward Sword demos we've played, it looks like the extra time has paid off.

You know what could've been awesome?

.....heh

Skyloftians not having a duck/dragon to fly on, but huge owls which would be descendants of Keapora Geabora.

If anything I hope ol' K to the G will get some backstory!

Yeah, I'll just repost this want of mine...

I really hope we see the Rito return...

393143-250px_normal_quill_large.jpgSkett_and_Akoot.jpg

It would be awesome to have them living above the clouds in a temple carved into the top of a mountain (like the one we see Link diving from in the trailer).

And to have them flying around/alongside you in the sky (should the sky serve as part of the overworld) going about their business, to bring it to life.

If this game is set before Ocarina of Time (I believe that's a rumour kicking about), or even if it's not really, I would LOVE your companion in this game to be Kaepora Geabora...

kaeporaorly.png

... Yes!

From Ocarina of Time, you get the feeling he has more of a story to tell and a history with 'Link'.

Flying around on his back would be an absolute dream!

Either way, he should definately be included in Skyward Sword.

A younger, smaller and more agile Valoo would also make for an awesome character in Skyward Sword, and would also be a great companion/mode of transport for the skies, especially if the Rito are included.

medli20and20valoo.jpg

Hopefully, although maybe not your constant companion, these guys may still show up at some point.

Kaepora Geabora is by far the worst thing about Ocarina of Time. Each time I see him it makes me not want to carry on.

But aren't the Rito meant to be like an evolution of the Zora after they moved out of the water?

If this is taking place before OOT doubtfull we'd see the Rito else they'd have to somehow retcon Wind Waker.

Anyway was just wondering, that Gold Zelda Wiimote they showed at E3, is there meant to be a pack with Skyward Sword and the Gold Wiimote?

I just pre-ordered the game today but they didn't have the Gold Wiimote on their system.

Also have we got a confirmed release date (I really should know this but as I've been avoiding any news for fear of spoilers I may have missed this if it was announced)

I just pre-ordered the game today but they didn't have the Gold Wiimote on their system.

Why would you preorder a game four or five months in advance, without knowing any details about deals etc

But aren't the Rito meant to be like an evolution of the Zora after they moved out of the water?

I do not know where you heard this, but that made me chuckle:laughing:

I mean, ...WindWaker = Lake Hylia x 1000, and yet the Zora somehow ended up on a tiny island amidst all this water and developed wings:hehe:

I mean, ...WindWaker = Lake Hylia x 1000, and yet the Zora somehow ended up on a tiny island amidst all this water and developed wings:hehe:

No, he's right the Zora evolved into the Rito. Why do you think they still resemble a Zora?

And if was Kaepora Geabora is in Skyward Sword, it would probably be his ancestor or even the same person. The gossip stones in OoT reveal he was a Sage at some point.

Why would you preorder a game four or five months in advance, without knowing any details about deals etc

Because it's Zelda?

I was planning to pre-order Xenoblade but they didn't have that on their system and had a game I was gonna trade in and use that as the deposit, didn't want to bring it home (and risk the trade in price going down in a few weeks) so just stuck it on Zelda as they are taking pre-orders on it

They said if there is a pack with game and wiimote they'd switch it over for me. The staff know me there anyway, hell if I asked they'd prolly hold me a copy of a game without a deposit but I prefer to have something paid off :D

It is highly implied in the game that that is what they are.... as you said it's weird that the Zoras would leave the sea at that stage but that is what Nintendo seems to think they would have done. The same way that the Koroks are meant to be an evolution of the Kokiri.

Best example is when Link needs to repower the Master Sword, he encounters the spirit of sages one a Zora who is an ancestor of Meldi (a Rito) and the other a Kokiri who is an ancestor of Makar (a Korok)

Also I think Meldi at some point mentions to Link that the Rito once couldnt fly and came from the sea

No, he's right the Zora evolved into the Rito. Why do you think they still resemble a Zora?

Now that you mention it, they do indeed have some traits that the Zoras have such as those extentions on their arms.

Still, it makes little sense.

Shouldn't the Zoras thrive on the OVERLOAD of water when the Gods flooded Hyrule and NOT evolve into birdlike creatures?

What drove them out of the water? Was is carbonated?

I don't believe the Zora evolved into Rito thing. I think it was just something that got way out of hand from fans wondering why there are no Zora in the game. It really is wierd that they don't appear... they should have been popping up all over the ocean as sellers etc... and then of course had a temple... which if we're to believe the stories got removed from the game... and I guess all traces of Zora along with it. I don't remember Nintendo ever confirming it themselves.

Yes there was that whole but the Zora's needed to evolve because they like fresh water, not salt water, but that's rubbish too, as Zora's are living in the oceans of Majora's Mask.

I really don't think Nintendo would get rid of one of it's Zelda species, because there's no need to have done that, when they could have just created a new one to stand along side the Zora. Zelda always needed an air based race.

I really don't think Nintendo would get rid of one of it's Zelda species, because there's no need to have done that, when they could have just created a new one to stand along side the Zora. Zelda always needed an air based race.

It's not just the fans guessing though, as I mentioned it is implied during Wind Waker that this is what happened. In the same way that in Wind Waker the there are no Kokiri but there are Koroks (who evolved from/once were Kokiri)

The Earth Sage Laruto who is a Zora is stated to be an ancestor of Medli (the new Earth sage that Link awakens in the game) who is a Rito.

The Wind Sage Fado who is a Kokiri is stated to be an ancestor of Makar who Link awakens as the new Wind Sage and who is a Korok.

And just found it (knew I read it somewhere before) it was confirmed by Aonuma-san himself. In a book called "Zelda Box" (only released in Japan) there was a boolet with a comment from himself saying

We created the Rito as the evolved form of the Zora that appeared in "Ocarina of Time" and the Korogs as what the Kokiri became once they left the forest. They appear different, but they have inherited their blood.

Quote found on LegendAlliance and the Zelda Wiki

SO I guess we can put that to rest now can we. There are no Zora's in Wind Waker as they no longer exsist.

Yes there was that whole but the Zora's needed to evolve because they like fresh water, not salt water, but that's rubbish too, as Zora's are living in the oceans of Majora's Mask.

Majora's Mask takes place before Wind Waker, as MM is a direct sequel to OOT and WW takes place a few hundred years later (and in an alternate timeline depending on which timeline theory you go with.... though I think by now the double timeline/universe thing is widely accepted is it not?)

The alternate timeline also allows for the Zoras to no longer be in Hyrule at the time of Wind Waker yet for them to appear in "future" games (timeline wise) like ALttP which is in the original timeline.

Edited by Mokong
Automerged Doublepost

Yep, and in real life, Bull Sharks can change the amount of salt in their body, so they can travel between fresh and saltwater. They've eaten a lot of people in Australian lakes and rivers.