NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Go Vacation!

Here's a great looking game from Namco for the Wii. It's made by the guys who did the excellent Family Ski games and it looks like a more varied version of Wii Sports Resort.

A few details from Gaf.

A game called "Go Vacation" (apparently developed by Namco) will be released for Wii this year.

I think it's only announced for japan right now but I hope they will bring it to the west too as it looks surprisingly great.

Think of Wii Sports Resort's Wuhu Island but much bigger and with 50 activities (instead of 12).

The island itself seems to be (mostly) open world and you can roam to seach for new activities.

Afaik the island is divided in 4 different resorts and climate zones.

I was almost shocked when I saw the gameplay video. It looks stunning(not only graphics wise, which look btw fantastic)!

Huge variety in activities(some examples):

take a walk around the island or roam it on the back of a horse

Go surfing on a huge tidal wave (California Games style!)

Dog sledge(!) racing

Quad racing

Take a flight over the island by plane

Bobsled racing

Dancing(!)

Diving in the waters around the island (looks as good as "Endless Ocean")

Ski Jumping

Hang gliding

Rally racing

Sharpshooting(!) as a cowboy

Racing with racing cars

Skiing

Cliff Diving

Snowboarding

Tennis

Roller Skating

Light Saber fighting in Tron costumes(?) (I kid you not)

Rafting

Jetski racing (complete with Wave Race'ish wave-physics)

Sky Diving

Volleyball

Minigolf

Family ski and snowboarding is one of my favourite wii guilty pleasures. This could end up being a right laugh too.

Hopefully has a ton of multiplayer features.

Family ski and snowboarding is one of my favourite wii guilty pleasures. This could end up being a right laugh too.

Hopefully has a ton of multiplayer features.

I knew this would be your kinda scum, tapedeck! I remember you enjoyed Family Ski. :D

Looks like it's just us two then. This seems to have been lost in amongst the Wii U coverage. :(

I'm definitely interested in this too, looks amazing. :awesome:

Hope it makes it out of Japan.

I'm definitely interested in this too, looks amazing. :awesome:

No! No! You can't just hop on the bandwagon now. :D

I agree, this looks pretty damn fun, hope Namco bring it to the UK. And is it just me or did that racing segment look infinitely better than any of EA or Ubisoft's dire driving games?

Damn, that is one pretty game. Especially considering it's genre.

1:09 looked like a prettier Twilight Princess + ponies.

No! No! You can't just hop on the bandwagon now. :D
Aww man. :(

*goes to find another bandwagon*

*discovers a complain about NoE and eShop bandwagon*

*jumps in*

:laughing:

Aww man. :(

*goes to find another bandwagon*

*discovers a complain about NoE and eShop bandwagon*

*jumps in*

:laughing:

Aren't you driving that wagon? :D

More screens and trailers. It looks at though it will at least come to the US seeing as there is a box art for it.

950Dql.jpg

1306354360-1306347218-large.jpg

1306354434-raftingjp-large.jpg

1306354450-water-gun-large.jpg

1306354374-1306347171-large.jpg

1306354467-street-rac-large.jpg

1306354484-snowmobile-large.jpg

1306354517-mountainh-large.jpg

1306354537-beachspik-large.jpg

1306354557-skydiving2-large.jpg

1306354575-snowtubbin-large.jpg

1306354597-marinejpg-large.jpg

1306354610-marine2jp-large.jpg

This game looks like so much for. I especially love the character models.

Yep. Looks amazing :-D

Shame no Motion Plus mention on the box as that skydiving mode looks like Resorts. Otherwise it looks sweeeet!

Here's some more vids for this fantastic game. I hope it gets released over here, if not I suppose we could just spam Namco's Facebook and Twitter pages. :D

Speaking during a Go Vacation interview on Nintendo.co.uk, producer Kobayashi said: "I would say for anyone who is already familiar with Wii Sports or Wii Sports Resort that they should look at our game and see that it is different not just because of the sheer volume of it but also because of the exploration elements, and I hope they'll get friends and family on board to have fun and experience the game together."

Like Wii Sports Resort, Go Vacation is set on resorts on an island. Yet, unlike Nintendo's sports game you will be able to explore the island. Kobayashi added: "There are various types of vehicles depending on the different environments in each of the four resorts, allowing you to move around freely and explore all the nooks and crannies of the island at your leisure."

He also elaborated on some of his favourite events in the mini-game compilation, saying that it can get crazy with four players.

Asked what is favourite event is, Kobayashi said: "It would probably be the water gun fight. To tell you really basically how this feature works with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, you're walking around with the Nunchuk as you pump air into your water pistol, then you run up and shoot the water. You can really get into a competitive mood when you're playing it. With all four players on screen at once it can get kind of crazy!

"Another one of my favourites would have to be horse riding because it's not something you see a lot in other games and you can just imagine all four of the players or family coming together. Although I don't have kids of my own I can imagine that would be something all the family would enjoy - running through the fields together on horseback.

"I'd also like to mention windsurfing, as it's one of the activities that use Wii MotionPlus or Wii Remote Plus to let you make very specific movements, directing the sail to match the wind so you can pick up as much speed as possible for racing around."

NMS

I've also read recently during the past week that Go Vacation has some kind of Animal Crossing like aspect - design and furnish your own villa, or something. Seems like Namco have pulled out all the stops.

Still very much looking forward to this (although the fact that it was a budget title in the US, but full price over here ain't cool :hmm:).

Never got around to getting Family Ski/Snowboard, so I'm glad that those aspects are still part of this game. :grin:

Also really liking the whole exploration thing and customisable villa. :)

Shame there's no online though... :(

N Gamer gave it a 56%. :hmm: I haven't seen what the review said but it certainly has put a downer on things. I still think the game looks fantastic but if it doesn't play well then I will be giving it a miss.

The review said that the open world aspect etc is great but the whole game is dragged down by rubbish motion controls :/

They even compared some of the mini-games to the ones seen in Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz D:

N Gamer gave it a 56%. :hmm: I haven't seen what the review said but it certainly has put a downer on things. I still think the game looks fantastic but if it doesn't play well then I will be giving it a miss.

The review said that the open world aspect etc is great but the whole game is dragged down by rubbish motion controls :/

They even compared some of the mini-games to the ones seen in Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz D:

Poopiees. :sad:

Even with Motion Plus? ::shrug:

Do they mention anything about the Balance Board controls? The skating/snowboarding is what I'm most interested in.

I imagine that they've just used the same game-play from the Family Ski games... they had good Balance Board control, right? :hmm:

@RedShell - I wasn't aware it utilized motion+ but by the sounds of it none of the controls work well. I've just skimmed over it again and...

- A great game ruined by terrible controls, "One of the first things you have to do is hold B whilst flicking the remote to jump"

- Navigate the island with a variety of vehicles, would be good but once again the controls are an issue. "Control by holding the nunchuk and controller out infront of you like handlebars, uncomfortable after a couple of minutes and imprecise most of the time"

- "some parts of the game feel like they weren't tested properly."

- If anything, the game shows how far the developers have overstretched themselves in expanding the Family Ski formula"

Graphics: 8

Audio: 6

Gameplay: 4 "it's utterly compromised by some of the worst motion controls we've ever endured"

I also had high hopes for Go Vacation but the review really is scathing.

Gamespot's review doesn't seem that bad.

http://uk.gamespot.com/wii/puzzle/go-vacation/review.html

Someone on G-Faqs posted their thoughts.

Wall of text incoming!

I love this game a lot. Its as good as wii sports resort or better. Everything seems to function good so far except for the dancing. I don't get the dancing at all. I don't get it all. I can barely score at all much less get 12000 points. I love how insanely huge all the resorts are. There is so much to do in this game I can imagine getting a review up for another day at least. This game is really fun. There are so many activities in each resort. There are treasure hunts you can go on to get different outfits. You can get around the resorts in different vehicles. I will say most of those vehicles control almost exactly the same. I am amazed at how big this game is. This game gives you so many options on what to do. This game does evrything it says on the box. I highly recomend this game so far.

i have gotten all the kawaii stamps now. My impressions haven't changed since then. I now would say that wii sports resort is better than this because the controls are more precise in that game. This game beats wi sports in a lot of ways. (not overall though)

I like how huge these resorts are and all the exploring. I don't like how hard and long it is to get from place to place in the snow resort. I don't like how long it takes to get to some places in the mountain zone. I still don't get some activities, I don't get the dancing activity, the musical glasses concert, and the paragliding just doesn't work at all. Can someone else please explain how to get the paragliding right? I can't pop one balloon at all. The lady that gave me stamps suggested that there are other activities that were not recommended by her. Does anyone know where these activities are? I really want to find the sword fighting that I saw on the cover of the game. Does anyone know if any of the activites support the wii motion plus? I haven't seen one yet.

Another review

http://www.screwattack.com/news/go-vacation-wii-review

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Got my copy today. :grin:

Very much enjoying it (just as I expected to), no problem with any of the controls yet either.

The way you control the various vehicles is definitely a little bit weird at first, but I got used to it after a few minutes. The little tutorial animation tells you to move the Wii Remote/Nunchuck from side to side for turning, but I found it plays better if you just keep your arms still and slightly twist the controllers instead.

Anyway, the game looks fantastic! And simply exploring the island is fun, there are treasure chests to find, photo spots, all of the various activities are discovered this way too. I'm loving just going around on the quad bike, crashing into people and finding places to do jumps/tricks. :D

Only negative points so far would be the difficulty level, it's insanely easy. And the soundtrack, which literally consists of like 2 songs! :heh: And they play over and over, in all of the games... :hmm:

Hearing a version of

as part of the ambient sound while exploring the island was a nice surprise though. :) There seem to be quite a few nods to previous Namco games dotted around.

But yeah, I'm happy I picked this up. It's got a great vibe to it, the developers really did capture that on holiday feeling. :love: At the end of the day it's essentially a mini-game collection just like Wii Play/Sports, etc.., but obviously with a lot more content. Plus the exploration aspect makes a big difference to the experience, and makes it much more enjoyable as a single player game too. icon14.gif

Sign in to follow this