NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
McPhee

No Confidence

http://www.noconfidence.org.uk/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jun/08/david-willetts-oxford-no-confidence

I haven't seen anything on this here so I figured I'd start up a thread.

I don't honestly think the campaign will have any real effect, but IMO it's worth signing up for anyway. The new tuition fee system (along with many other new policies relating to University) are a load of bollocks. Sure, there's problems with the current system, like an over-saturated graduate job market, but pricing people out of the University system isn't the way forward.

Was outside the Sheldonian clapping the fellows as they came out -- fantastic moment -- "I Wanna Dance With Somebody"/[That famous song that's really optimistic but I forget the name] booming from a sound system. 283 to 5. A landslide "No, this is bullshit" resounding from people who actually know what they're talking about, rather than the Tories, who are only interesting in keeping the rich rich.

Cambridge will probably follow suit soon, as well as many other unis.

I love that the last time this thing was done in Oxford was to reject Maragaret Thatcher's honorary degree. The sentiment was pretty much "What the fuck is this shit? Why would we give old bag a degree?"

I was unaware of what it actually was until yesterday. I joined up. I'm not at uni (physically) atm though so...

(plus I doubt Kingston would have much to say on the matter as of yet)

http://www.noconfidence.org.uk/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jun/08/david-willetts-oxford-no-confidence

I haven't seen anything on this here so I figured I'd start up a thread.

I don't honestly think the campaign will have any real effect, but IMO it's worth signing up for anyway. The new tuition fee system (along with many other new policies relating to University) are a load of bollocks. Sure, there's problems with the current system, like an over-saturated graduate job market, but pricing people out of the University system isn't the way forward.

I still fail to see how it's pricing people out of University. Most people get tuition fee loans to pay for it (even before this) and don't have to pay it back until they're earning a decent amount of money.

What this is doing is stopping the idiots who go to university just for a party and as such will unsaturate the graduate job market. It's foolish to try and fight it. It's like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

I do agree that the cuts in funding are ridiculous though

Edited by Serebii

I still fail to see how it's pricing people out of University. Most people get tuition fee loans to pay for it (even before this) and don't have to pay it back until they're earning a decent amount of money.

Because I don't have a great job, I haven't paid a penny of my tuition fees (or the other loans you get). I would gladly have a higher paid job and pay 10% of what I earn above £15,000 a year for the rest of my life.

Because I don't have a great job, I haven't paid a penny of my tuition fees (or the other loans you get). I would gladly have a higher paid job and pay 10% of what I earn above £15,000 a year for the rest of my life.

Can't tell if there's sarcasm there or not lol

Can't tell if there's sarcasm there or not lol

No sarcasm. Even when you are repaying the loans it's still more money.

No sarcasm. Even when you are repaying the loans it's still more money.

Agreed. I have to repay a significant chunk of my loan this year because I had a fantastic year, but I don't mind because of that very reason.

People need to use their heads more in regards to the tuition fee debate.

Definitely. The government seem to know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Definitely. The government seem to know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

The UK Govt's pricing:

Criminal ~£45,000.

Soldier ~~£20,000.

The UK Govt's pricing:

Criminal ~£45,000.

Soldier ~~£20,000.

That's the most ridiculous comparison I have heard.

You have compared the cost of keeping a prisoner to a soldier's wage. They're not comparable. While I agree soldiers need to be paid more, you're missing NUMEROUS aspects.

Accommodation for the Soldier

Training for the Soldier

Equipment for the Soldier

and so forth.

That's the most ridiculous comparison I have heard.

You have compared the cost of keeping a prisoner to a soldier's wage. They're not comparable. While I agree soldiers need to be paid more, you're missing NUMEROUS aspects.

Accommodation for the Soldier

Training for the Soldier

Equipment for the Soldier

and so forth.

I'm aware of training and equipment, though they don't count; the Govt. (& nation?) is getting something out of that.

I will admit I left out accomodation, which comes to little.

The cost of keeping a prisoner isn't £45,000, that's just what's spent, there's a difference ;)

Sign in to follow this