NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

Metro: Last Light

This game was part of the third party video during the press conference...

Trailer 360/PS3

http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1174762p1.html

E3 2011: Metro: Last Light's Desolation Will Delight You

Welcome to a believable post-apocalyptic atmosphere.

... when I was tasked to cover Metro: Last Light at this year's E3, I was excited. I never got around to playing its predecessor Metro 2033 when it came out, but the book it's based on, a Russian novel written by author Dmitry Glukhovsky, was described to me as being right up my alley by a few of my friends. And after sitting through a 15 minute demo this afternoon, I came out of the darkened theater a believer. Not only is Metro 2033 going to be a game (and book) I tear through when time allows it this summer, but Metro: First Light was instantly mentally marked as one of my most anticipated games of 2012.

The book Metro 2033 has a sequel aptly named Metro 2034. But, unlike the original game, Metro: Last Light has nothing to do with the books. Instead, Ukrainian developer 4A Games has been able to explore a bit of this fictional setting's storyline for itself. Gamers are again brought back to an utterly-destroyed Moscow, where humanity has managed to survive in limited numbers by dwelling in the subway system underneath the city. And gamers are again placed in the role of Artyom, the hero from the original title.

There's more info on the 360/PS3 version over on IGN if you follow the link.

So, it looks like it's NOT in development for the Wii U then.

Metro: Last Light is no longer a confirmed Wii U title.

Global brand manager Mark Madsen said that while the port "could" still happen, it would be "correct" to say that it is no longer confirmed for the system.

"If it does happen, it won't sim-ship with the other SKUs, but if the opportunity arises we'll take a look at it."

Madsen also denied that Metro: Last Light's appearance during Wii U's third-party showreel at Nintendo's press conference at E3 last year was too premature.

"As we got along in the development process, we just really wanted to focus on what we knew, focus on PS3, 360 and PC," he explained.

Gameplay Interview

Gameplay and visuals, sound and look pretty impressive!

So, it looks like it's NOT in development for the Wii U then.
That video seemed to suggest there would be a Wii U version, but more likely at a later date.

I guess the risk might be too high for THQ...

Possibly.

How well did the first do, anyway? It just appeared out of nowhere, got hype for a week up until launch then it all just fizzled out rather quickly.

So anyone else looking forward to this? I finally played the first one via the THQ steam bundle (shortly before THQ collapsed) and was totally surprised how much I enjoyed it. It had plenty of flaws but was still one of the most invigorating & atmospheric video games I had played in years. Can't wait to see how this one turns out now.

Not coming to Wii U unfortunately @gaggle64

Sorry, I did a thread search and didn't realise this had a WiiU thread. Should've read above.

Sorry, I did a thread search and didn't realise this had a WiiU thread. Should've read above.
Don't think there's a thread for it in Other Consoles actually. I'll move it there.

Solid reviews, more than good enough for me. This would've had to have been a mess to make cancel my pre-order. As flawed as the original was it still sucked me straight in. I just can't wait to get back into that claustrophobic atmosphere of the Russian metro.

(Launch trailer)

I still have to complete Metro 2033 (and loving it so far), but I've caved in and decided to buy this on Steam. Decided I need to treat myself, since it's my birthday on Friday, and the game is pre-loading now, awww yeah!! :grin:

Has anyone read the book these games are based off? Wondering whether to give it a go, as it sounds pretty good.

Not been on my radar at all but having seen a lot of the coverage really interested so much else to play though can I justify it. Do I need to have played the original? Don't have a 360 so never played it. I do have it on Steam as part of a humble indie bundle but not got the hardware to run it...

One of the reviews says the intro to the sequel gets you up to speed on everything from the first game well enough.

Given how cheap it is I would still urge everybody go grab it - it's flawed, flawed gem of a game that's packed with atmosphere and surprises.

Played the first hour or so of this, and I'm loving it so far! :grin: It's incredibly atmospheric and it plays a lot smoother than Metro 2033. Plus the game looks fantastic, it runs really well on my PC, they've definitely scaled the engine a lot more.

One of the reviews says the intro to the sequel gets you up to speed on everything from the first game well enough.

Yeah, it pretty much sums up the entire story of the first game, so if anyone really wants to try Metro 2033 first, then I suggest do that first.

I've noticed that the story classes the 'bad' ending as cannon, where Artyom destroyed the Dark One's Hive. I was wondering how the story could progress if that happened, but it seems to be working well so far!

I actually received this a day early but I'm yet to take the clingfilm off - I have very full week ahead, think I might actually wait until after that so I can sit down a put a couple of hours in at least a couple of days in a row. I need to savour it.

Sign in to follow this