NEurope
gaggle64

Aliens: Colonial Marines - Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen

Kotaku caught up with Gearbox dev Randy Pitchford and discussed the WiiU version of the new Aliens game. It was unclear at first if the WiiU version was in fact coming but it sounds like it is indeed in the pipe, 5-by-5.

Apparently they'll be implementing the controller screen in 3 different ways and only one of them obvious:

The device will, at times, become the game's motion tracker, a device in the fiction of the Alien universe that can track the location of enemies and friendlies by their motion. Pitchford explained that players may be asked to sweep their controller around them, looking for approaching enemies, which will show up as blips on the display of the controller.

The Wii U controller will also become a fully interactive map at times. In this mode, players will be able to play with a full map of the area much like we see Private William Hudson doing in the movie Aliens.

Finally, Pitchford said that players will use the display on the controller to play a mini-game used to hack doors in the game.

Outstanding. Now all we need is a deck of cards.

Edited by Retro_Link

I'm up for this, been waiting for the 360 version so long, but now I'll be going with the Wii U version.

Isn't this, like, .....another shooter?

NO. You are totally wrong.

They are taking the best source material to create a space/sci-fi action-shooter game. This will be totally awesome.

I'm not going go to lie, when I read that the screen will be used as a tracker...I came.

My body is so ready for this.

How will we actually control the action? Dual analogue? I would...actually like to use this and the Wiimote somehow.

So excited for this. This is the only game I would ever even think about getting a 360 for. Don't need that now. Need this. Want.

Also, loved your quotes in the first post, Gaggle.

I need to rewatch Alien cause all of that didn't bother me too much. But when I read comments from Aliens fans, they have nothing but excitement to show for it.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/117/1174480p1.html

Speaking at a demo of Colonial Marines on the floor of E3, Pitchford said the title would be coming to PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii U, adding that "The game is currently running on Wii U."

Pitchford emphasized Gearbox's enthusiam for the console, saying "We love the system and we've pledged our support for it." Gearbox's previous projects include Borderlands and Halo: Combat Evolved for PC.

Aliens: Colonial Marines will ship in the spring of 2012 for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, but it is not clear whether the Wii U will be out in time for this release date.

Edited by Retro_Link

Isn't this, like, .....another shooter?

Why is everyone complaining about shooters? I mean, sure, I'd rather see Mass Effect Trilogy for the Wii.

Hmmm dunno about this. Was not a huge fan of AvP but then again this is a different developer and a damn good one too.

I find it hard to explain but most of what makes Alien scary is in the pace and the writing and I haven't found a game that has managed to emulate that yet.

On another point, I think these uses of the Umote are pretty basic. I hope they come up with more and frankly get rid of these hacking mini-games.

Why is everyone complaining about shooters? I mean, sure, I'd rather see Mass Effect Trilogy for the Wii.

Because there are just too many of them.....

^ Who cares! The more Wii U support the better... you can't be dissapointed about the Wii missing out on games and then moan when it gets them! If shooters aren't your thing fine... but aren't you a fan of The Conduit etc...? I mean if you can accept that, surely any shooters for you!

Edited by Retro_Link

^ Who cares! The more Wii U support the better... you can't be dissapointed about the Wii missing out on games and then moan when it gets them! If shooters aren't your thing fine... but aren't you a fan of The Conduit etc...?

Talking of which... perfect use of the Umote right there.

Talking of which... perfect use of the Umote right there.
Ah yes, no need for the 'All Seeing Eye' thing [is it] to make an appearance in-game, on the screen, at all now! All the scanning can be done off screen with a virtual ASE right there in your hands!

Can HVS afford to develop for HD platforms though... isn't that partly why they were such a supporter of the Wii.

^ Who cares! The more Wii U support the better... you can't be dissapointed about the Wii missing out on games and then moan when it gets them! If shooters aren't your thing fine... but aren't you a fan of The Conduit etc...? I mean if you can accept that, surely any shooters for you!

Yes, I like myself a shooter from a long time to a long time, but I just generally dislike the fact that shooters have become the biggest genre in the industry.

Just too much focus on one genre, and I don't like it.

I mean, most western developers that are bringing out new franchises/games are either 1st person shooters/3rd person shooters.....

However, I do like it when there's a different take on the shooter genre like with Portal or something humorous like that new Ubisoft game.

and Conduit::shrug:

Ah yes, no need for the 'All Seeing Eye' thing [is it] to make an appearance in-game, on the screen, at all now! All the scanning can be done off screen with a virtual ASE right there in your hands!

Can HVS afford to develop for HD platforms though... isn't that partly why they were such a supporter of the Wii.

I can only hope NINTENDO will support them as they did with Next Level Games and Retro.

Plenty of impressions of the demo if you follow the link, but here's a bit of it...

http://www.destructoid.com/e3-first-look-at-aliens-colonial-marines-203383.phtml

"This is the true sequel to Aliens," said Randy Pitchford as he excitedly pitched Aliens: Colonial Marines in his usual excitable way. "No offense to Alien 3, but that movie was more like a sequel to Alien -- a single Alien, a ragtag group of people. Aliens is about this group of badasses and a whole ton of Xenos."

Indeed, with the blessing of 20th Century FOX, the story of Aliens: Colonial Marines is to be adopted into canon -- and that includes the Triceratops Alien!

Colonial Marines kicks off with a squad of ultimate badasses crashing on Hadley's Hope, the scene of the carnage witnessed in Aliens. Although the colony was devastated by an explosion at the end of the film, it still remains standing, albeit in a serious state of disrepair.

Oh ... and then there's an Alien Queen.

A freakin' FANTASTIC Alien Queen. It moves, hisses, and rips a man in two just how one would expect it to. It looks freakin' brilliant. Or it does before it stomps right over to the player, picks him up, and jams its biting tongue into his face.

That's when I came all over the place.

The demo did a wonderful job of showing a game that pays maximum respect to the Aliens franchise and is set to deliver one of the most authentic experiences you'll ever witness. I am more excited than ever for Colonial Marines and I have high hopes that this'll be the Aliens game we've been gagging for.

Oh, and the Wii U version WILL include a motion tracker on the controller screen.

203383-queenhead.jpg

23307TensionShot_1280-620x.jpg

23308WeAreSneaky_1280-620x.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link

Are we going to be using the dual analogue sticks for this? Or, will we have the option to use Wiimote/MotionPlus.

As great as the Upad is, I would...feel a bit bleh about going back to dual analogue on shooters. It's going back a step.

I want to use the pad as a motion tracker and use the motionplus at the same time. How can I do this? With that WiiZapper type thing? Hmm.

Issues!

Don't know you were a yid stoopid?!

The screen as a sensor will be great, with the sound coming from it too :) Hope the gameplay lives up to it! There was a game on the... Comodre I think, was terrifying at the time, that had a tracker on the screen, shit myself every time it sped up!

Hmmm dunno about this. Was not a huge fan of AvP but then again this is a different developer and a damn good one too.

I find it hard to explain but most of what makes Alien scary is in the pace and the writing and I haven't found a game that has managed to emulate that yet.

On another point, I think these uses of the Umote are pretty basic. I hope they come up with more and frankly get rid of these hacking mini-games.

You no like AvP2? That first level, where you go into the base and its empty. Shit me up so much.

Also, when you have to go into the hive to rescue your friend, and then escape. I was running at full pace, turning around and trying to shoot those bastards. I was closing some of the doors on the outside, but the aliens were finding ways through.

Its actually one of my favourite all-time levels in any game. Properly shook me up. This one time, I was close to the APC and then died maybe a few feet away. I let out a noooooooooooo. I could see my health was dropping but just ran and ran, hoping to make it. Then...dead.

How can I do this? With that WiiZapper type thing? Hmm.
Yeah I think that maybe the closest, though the zappers not as good as a wii-mote nunchuck combo don't think.

Another title I can't wait for! And with great U Controller ideas too. I was going for this on PC. But now I'm going Wii U!

I'm sorry, but if this game is out on the 360 before the Wii U arrives I'm not going to be able to resist it. It looks fantastic, and I'll be more than happy to manage without the Wii U controls if I have to.

The Umote has the a camera at the top like the Wiimote, you can aim it at the screen the same way.

The Umote has the a camera at the top like the Wiimote, you can aim it at the screen the same way.

Is that in response to my post? If so, the Upad is a bit too bulky and wide to be used as a pointer device, particularly in an FPS. I think it would be too complicated, personally.

Yeah plus the pointer is on top of the U-mote, and the majority of the time it's the back of the U-mote you'll have facing the screen. I'm a bit confused as to why there's even a pointer on it!... actually does it being on the top even matter?... I think I've confused myself as to how the controller works!

How does it track your movement for the 'Pirate Arrow' demo, and The Baseball Glove demo etc...

Through the gyroscopes/accelerometers?

Yeah plus the pointer is on top of the U-mote, and the majority of the time it's the back of the U-mote you'll have facing the screen. I'm a bit confused as to why there's even a pointer on it!... actually does it being on the top even matter?... I think I've confused myself as to how the controller works!

How does it track your movement for the 'Pirate Arrow' demo, and The Baseball Glove demo etc...

Through the gyroscopes etc...?

There's a sensor bar on top of the television, still.

Although...if the sensor is on top of the Upad, how does that work?! As you'll have the top facing the ceiling.

Mind. Blown.