NEurope
gaggle64

Aliens: Colonial Marines - Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen

This footage isn't from the Wii U version you know right? All versions of this game are equally terrible.

I know, but I'm just waiting for the WiiU version in particular to sell the worst. It's waiting to happen and we all know it. :p

Can't believe it. Can't describe how gutted I am about this game. This is the equivalent of Ridley Scott and James Cameron both taking turns to shit on my desk. After promising to buy me dinner first.

Unless its delayed to give us an incredible version.

Don't shatter my dreams, guys... let me have it for a few weeks longer.

Unless its delayed to give us an incredible version.

Don't shatter my dreams, guys... let me have it for a few weeks longer.

How hilarious would that be? If the WiiU version was the ultimate and definitive version of the game.

What are the WiiU specific features of the game? Has anything even be said?

Motion tracker on the GamePad.

Oh yes, and a reworked story, new voice cast, improved textures and lighting, better animation, 1080p locked at 60fps. :laughing:

Motion tracker on the GamePad.

Oh yes, and a reworked story, new voice cast, improved textures and lighting, better animation, 1080p locked at 60fps. :laughing:

Also, only ONE developer working on it. Gearbox Software.

How hilarious would that be? If the WiiU version was the ultimate and definitive version of the game.

It's probably gonna be something like...

Ridley Scott and James Cameron both taking turns to shit on your desk
...but now with an added hint of walnut. WiiU: It's So Darn Rad.

You can get the motion tracker on the screen. Or a map, I think.

not sure if anyone cares

Aliens: Colonial Marines Wii U version "postponed indefinitely" #1

Unconfirmed, but it aint looking so hot...

According to Jason Schreier's reply to his own article on Kotaku:

We heard from a tipster about a month ago that the Wii U version had been "postponed indefinitely." We reached out to Sega, and they denied it. I'll let you guys fill in the blanks there. :)

Also Amazon no longer lists a Wii U version of the game.

http://www.amazon.com/Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Xbox-360/dp/B005THAX5Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360800008&sr=8-1&keywords=aliens+colonial+marines

Jason Schreier

@Jasonschreier

Asked Sega if the Wii U version of Aliens: Colonial Marines is still happening. "We are not commenting on anything right now."

Edited by liger05

Hopefully it will get the Ninja Gaiden treatment. It's amazing they released the game as it is as if they thought "maybe no will notice" hahahaha... then eveyone just tries to throw each other under the bus...

I think it's hilarious lol.

Who Made Aliens? Here’s What We (Sorta) Know

The short version claimed in the post is that Gearbox kept delaying Aliens in favor of other projects (Borderlands, Duke, etc), and Sega finally cracked the whip. Gearbox, however, decided to outsource so it could keep focusing on breadwinners like Borderlands 2, which is where TimeGate, Demiurge, and Nerve entered the picture. Then things allegedly got very, very messy.

The Reddit post explains:

“Somehow the schedules for [Aliens' codename] Pecan and Borderlands 2 managed to line up, and GBX realized that there was no fucking way they could cert and ship two titles at the same time. Additionally, campaign (which was being developed by TimeGate) was extremely far behind, even as Pecan’s Beta deadline got closer and closer. In April or May (can’t remember which), Pecan was supposed to hit beta, but GBX instead came to an agreement with SEGA that they would push the release date back one more time, buying GBX around 9 [month] extension.”

“About 5 of those 9 months went to shipping BL2. In that time, TimeGate managed to scrap together 85 percent of the campaign, but once Borderlands 2 shipped and GBX turned its attention to Pecan, it became pretty apparent that what had been made was in a pretty horrid state. Campaign didn’t make much sense, the boss fights weren’t implemented, PS3 was way over memory, etcetcetc. GBX was pretty unhappy with TG’s work, and some of Campaign maps were just completely redesigned from scratch. There were some last minute feature requests, most notably female marines, and the general consensus among GBX devs was that there was no way this game was going to be good by ship. There just wasn’t enough time.”

Unfortunately, Sega was allegedly ready to unchain its fiercest legal hedgehogs on Gearbox, so, the unverified claims say, the developer had no choice but to rush what it had through certification – which brings us to where we are today.

Bet Sega wished they killed this than Obsidian’s finished Aliens RPG, PG games and others.

So from Gearbox saying that they loved the WiiU and that the WiiU version would be the definative version.... to the game not coming out at all.

Even if the game sucked as much as the other versions I still find that a bit of a disgrace.

It's like maybe they were thinking, "We'll release these other versions first, see what people think, fix any minor issues for teh Wii U version then release that"

Then when the other versions appeared to be broken with much more than a few "minor" issues they then just gave up :(

RIP Colonial Marines on Wii U - Game Over Man, Game Over!

Oh well, I would still have got it when it hit the £20 range as my friend has it on PC and says it's not as bad as people are saying, sure it's average but not terrible. He also said 4 player co-op is still fun and described it as L4D with aliens.

But now we're not getting it at all? Hardly a shock, but still a little disappointing.

I played an hour or so of this last night on the 360 - it isn't terrible, but it certainly isn't very good either. The enemy AI is tragic and the graphics chug along like an absolute horror story. Everything is full of tearing, glitches and the whole experience has a very unpolished feel to it.

My best comparison would be to a 360 launch game in terms of graphics and maybe Halo 1 on Xbox in terms of actual gameplay.

If you can look beyond the technical goofs, there's an okay game just wanting to be loved. Maybe it just needed a few more months of development time - the appreciation for the franchise is definitely there. I only played single player and really think it would be a lot more fun in co-op - this game feels like it was made for a collaborative experience.

Gather three Aliens loving friends together and you'll probably have enough fun to justify a runthrough. I'd advise renting against buying though. Best not to encourage this type of behaviour from developers in future.

Rumours of the Wii U version being cancelled have been denied by SEGA.

It's still coming.

Don't know whether it's been delayed or not though; if it has hopefully they're replacing it with the Demo version! :p

Don't know whether it's been delayed or not though; if it has hopefully they're replacing it with the Demo version! :p

steve-carell-1.gif

tumblr_ks1y6aWWYy1qzuaedo1_400.gif

Groundhogday.gif

I don't... what?... All the Demoed gameplay looks awesome.

ahh i thought you were making a reference to Rayman and that they were going to delay the wiiu version and give us a demo of it (as in the crappy release version)

but the original demo version then hell yeah

my friend has it on PC and says it's not as bad as people are saying, sure it's average but not terrible

Definitely this. Made a little demo (...) video of the multiplayer, the aliens are a blast to play as:

Yes, it's lovely that the game has a multiplayer, but it's missing the point entirely. This was touted as the unofficial sequel to Aliens. They've got Michael Biehn and Lance Henrikson on board to do the voice acting, which shows you how high they were aiming for.

This game didn't even have a multiplayer until it was late into its development. The disappointment is mainly with the lack of atmosphere, which makes the films what they are and separates the franchise from being your ordinary "monster movie" or space-flick. The scene in Aliens where Ripley makes her way into the hive to find Newt is nervy because of the lighting, the inability to make out really what's in front of you, the fact that you don't know what is around every corner. She is effectively blind. And scared because of her previous encounters with the Aliens, which killed her crew in the first film and annihilated a squad of marines in the sequel.

Who cares if the multiplayer is good or not? If you wanted that, you should have just picked up any of the previous AvP games, which already feature more than decent multiplayers, especially the second. What was supposed to set this game apart from previous games and shooters was the single-player campaign, which was effectively "playing the movie". To illustrate just how far this game has fallen short, look at the trailer from above which details just how different the game appears from what is promised.

Even by removing some of the lighting effects, it changes the tone of the game completely. How would the atmosphere of the films compare if every corridor was brightly lit and you could see EVERYTHING? Even then, that's only one aspect. There are so many more.

So, no. Normally I'd be polite about this and say something positive, but not this time. This is a series which I am passionate about and have loved ever since I first laid eyes on it. It's already been dragged through the gutter with rubbish such as Alien Resurrection and AvP: Requiem. This game just adds to that. Very disrespectful to the fans for how the development of this game has taken place, including the complete farce with regards to the WiiU version, which we know next to nothing about.

Sure, you guys clearly had huge expectations of this game. Well, I didn't. Maybe the single player is messed up, but that doesn't mean the multiplayer isn't functioning well and fun to play. Just saying that some of the "critics" out there seem to have rated this based on their personal rage and disappointment, and not the actual game. 4/10 this is not...

Sure, you guys clearly had huge expectations of this game. Well, I didn't. Maybe the single player is messed up, but that doesn't mean the multiplayer isn't functioning well and fun to play. Just saying that some of the "critics" out there seem to have rated this based on their personal rage and disappointment, and not the actual game. 4/10 this is not...

My friend who actually got the game would agree with you. He says it's definetely not a 9 or a 10 and certainly can't be considered a 'must have', but he is enjoying it - especially the multiplayer co-op.

I think the big issue here is Gearbox have pulled an epic bait and switch producing a demo that was clearly NOT gameplay as it claimed to be. They mocked up a superb looking demo which fooled a lot of people - both consumers and gaming press.

Hence we all thought we were getting a AAA product that would feel like a true part of the Alien universe. Instead, Gearbox subbed out many of the parts and produced a game that is average and falls well short of the expectation they themselves built with a demo that was effectively one big lie.

I think the big issue here is Gearbox have pulled an epic bait and switch producing a demo that was clearly NOT gameplay as it claimed to be. They mocked up a superb looking demo which fooled a lot of people - both consumers and gaming press.

Hence we all thought we were getting a AAA product that would feel like a true part of the Alien universe. Instead, Gearbox subbed out many of the parts and produced a game that is average and falls well short of the expectation they themselves built with a demo that was effectively one big lie.

Yeah, I agree. I didn't see the demo reels until having already bought the game, and the difference really is quite big. Quite sad, as the demos looked really good...