NEurope
gaggle64

Aliens: Colonial Marines - Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen

I've found a positive review but then look who reviewed it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/feb/12/alien-colonial-marines-game-review

4/5 stars

Edit:

Another positive review.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpinchefsky/2013/02/12/review-aliens-colonial-marines/

8/10

Can you really trust newspapers for reviews though? These reviews fly in the face of dedicated gaming sites.

I think I have my answer.

7064a0e621c7437894dbd3ce86e2cb89?s=136&r=pg&d=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fassets%2Fimages%2Favatars%2Fgeneric_profile_image_136.jpg

Carol Pinchefsky, Contributor

I mean business about science fiction and geek culture.

FAIL!

Edited by Wii

The phrase "GAME OVER, MAN! GAME OVER!" has never been more suitable. :D

I say we take off and nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

'We're on express elevator to hell, going down!'

Annnd with that my pre-order is cancelled, gonna watch the films on Blu-Ray instead for my Aliens fix. :D

aww man those reviews.....time to cancel my pre-order and wait for it to be sub £20

Well, when I see it for a bargain price it might still be worth £15!

There's one good review from a games site that gives it 9/10...

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-aliens-colonial-marines/

... but that's one good review out of twenty-three recorded on metacritic, something tells me it's not exactly representative. :p

The best bit about that review is the comments section.

The review itself is atrocious and doesn't tell you a single thing about the game itself that couldn't be gleaned by looking at the back of the box and making some informed guesses. The fact the entire site is plastered in advertsiing for the game says it all.

To quote GI.biz takes on that EGM review...

Woeful. Heinous. Subpar. Dents in the hull. Hits outweighing misfires. 9 out of 10. Obviously

The score doesn't even match the words which is a feat in of itself given the words say so incredibly little.

Spot the odd one out

Edge have given it a somewhat more positive review with a 5/10 rating. Whilst Metro/Gamescentral/Digitiser come in with 4/10

Edited by Captain Falcon
Automerged Doublepost

I don't understand when visually this game got so bad/plain average!

This looked really good, the rain, lighting etc...

First Gameplay/Walkthrough

Great atmosphere!

They do a good job of tricking you with moving scenery etc...

Now that same indoor section where it's hammering down with rain outside, just doesn't anymore! And this is the PC version!

I'm really upset by this.

The game had a ton of potential that just seems to be wasted :(

While the reviews are disappointing, this game could still be enjoyable when doing 4 player co op.

Shame we aren't hearing much about the Wii U version, whether it has voice chat etc.

Good man! :D

It can be tough at times. The best part about the game is the fact that if one of your characters dies, that's it. They are gone. It makes you care about each one. :p

And quite possible to save them all too, especially when you've mastered using L and R properly.

i212wUcwcU0eE.gif

Why is it walking like that? :heh:

Why is it walking like that? :heh:

I think it's just 1 of the many glitches within the game.

i212wUcwcU0eE.gif

Man in a rubber suit and wearing rollerscates is wheeled over to attack Veronica Cartwright - terrifying.

Above - hilarious.

I've found a positive review but then look who reviewed it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/feb/12/alien-colonial-marines-game-review

4/5 stars

Edit:

Another positive review.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpinchefsky/2013/02/12/review-aliens-colonial-marines/

8/10

Can you really trust newspapers for reviews though? These reviews fly in the face of dedicated gaming sites.

I think I have my answer.

7064a0e621c7437894dbd3ce86e2cb89?s=136&r=pg&d=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fassets%2Fimages%2Favatars%2Fgeneric_profile_image_136.jpg

Carol Pinchefsky, Contributor

I mean business about science fiction and geek culture.

FAIL!

You do realise that the people who review for 'newspapers' are the sorts of freelancers who also generally review for gaming websites?

Wait, of course you don't.

Hell, I could probably count more of those freelancers I can trust than dedicated gaming sites.

And I'm not even touching your appalling ad hominem thing.

I refuse to believe that the game has suddenly become terrible. Never known anything like this. Aside from the delays and the tacked on multiplayer, the game has looked mostly great. How can it suddenly have turned so sour?

Will never forgive Gearbox for fucking this up if it turns out to be true.

Well, spent yesterday playing the pc version, it's not 4/10 bad. More like 6/10 or 7/10. Multiplayer is actually pretty fun.

(And yes, I hate the fact that we have two separate topics for this same friggin' game! Totally unnecessary division of discussion... >_>)

(And yes, I hate the fact that we have two separate topics for this same friggin' game! Totally unnecessary division of discussion... >_>)

If the game was actually good, the split would be necessary - the people waiting for the Wii U version probably wouldn't want a thread full of spoiler tags and discussions about playing the game.

I refuse to believe that the game has suddenly become terrible. Never known anything like this. Aside from the delays and the tacked on multiplayer, the game has looked mostly great. How can it suddenly have turned so sour?

Will never forgive Gearbox for fucking this up if it turns out to be true.

If rumours re to believed Gearbox might not have had a huge roll in it's development.

Possibly the game was never all that good... all the great stuff we'd seen previously had come from very scripted demo walkthroughs, and trailers of the PC version, and which the devs can bullshot.

But yeah, the graphics have got noticeably got worse, even for the PC version, and fuck knows how all these glitches have come about!

Having said that, if the game is full of stuff like the video above, it could be the greatest game of all time for comedy value! :D

If rumours re to believed Gearbox might not have had a huge roll in it's development.

Normally when a game turns out to be a bit pants, all the devs are quick to state how little was down to them whereas here, everyone is trying to state how much is their work as if it's something to be proud of.

I guess the question is, having said it was mostly them from the get go, would GearBox prefer to be thought of as liars or crap devs?

Fantastic comparison!... Really is crazy!

It's almost like the Halo remake, where you can switch between the two versions of the game, in terms of the difference between them!

Edited by Retro_Link

Fantastic comparison!

(aside from the fact that after the first minute they get confused between Demo and Final... although tbf, they got it the way round that it should have been)

There's a fixed version of the video

Incredible. That demo was the game that I had wanted. How was this allowed to happen?

Of course, when it flops on the WiiU, we'll just hear how WiiU doesn't sell hardcore games. It should rightfully fail on all systems. This shouldn't have been allowed to happen. :weep:

Of course, when it flops on the WiiU, we'll just hear how WiiU doesn't sell hardcore games. It should rightfully fail on all systems. This shouldn't have been allowed to happen. :weep:
This footage isn't from the Wii U version you know right? All versions of this game are equally terrible.