NEurope
gaggle64

Aliens: Colonial Marines - Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen

There's no way you can create the same suspense and tention of the Alien films in a game. By virtue of the fact horror is based on the unknown and you need to see your target to shoot in an FPS, it'll probably never work.

Like I said, re-skin Dead Space and you're on to a gold mine.

True. I think an alternate source of suspense and tension could work in the game though. In the films it was fear of the unseen/ unknown, but I think the tension in the game will come from the fact that each individual has finite resources (you can either hold a gun or a locator, for example) and the requirement for coordination between each character class to succeed and take down an opponents.

The shitty thing is I really love the Dead Space series, but it seems as if the third one is taking a massive detour and scrubbing the game of its character.

ANyone else notice a total lack of a Wii U logo at the end of teh video?

I guess we won't be getting it on time with the other systems so :cry:

There's no way you can create the same suspense and tention of the Alien films in a game. By virtue of the fact horror is based on the unknown and you need to see your target to shoot in an FPS, it'll probably never work.

Like I said, re-skin Dead Space and you're on to a gold mine.

This is the biggest load of crap I've ever read! Have you ever played Doom 3, maxed out on a gaming rig, lights off and using a quality headset? Creeping down dark corridors and hearing noises and not knowing what's coming is very atmospheric.

An FPS is perfect for Aliens - if they do it right.

Horror done in the first person can be far more involving than horror in the third person. As soon as you play a game in the third person there's a massive disconnect between you and the character.

Look at how atmospheric Metroid Prime was - that was due to the fact it felt like it was you doing the exploring. Games like Bioshock, FEAR and Amnesia also benefited from being in the first person.

Problem is Doom 3 is a horror game first and an FPS second. Alien:CM is an action FPS first and a IP reliant horror a distant third.

A third person game can sustain the horror much better when the action kicks in than a first person game. You might think otherwise, but then you are allowed to.

Aliens: Colonial Marines - Tactical Multiplayer Trailer

Still no sight of a Wii U boxart at the end of the video.

Ive been looking forward to this game for a very long time. Loved the film franchise growing up (Aliens still remains one of my favourite times).

After watching a few videos on the game it really does seem to capture the look and feel of the films brilliantly. My only dilemma is whether to get it on the Wii U or PS3.

How the Gamepad is implemented into the game will prove to be a big factor - using it as a tracker with that very distinctive pulsing sound would be amazing. Switching between what you can see on the pad and what you can actually see in the shadows on your tv would really ramp up the tension. But then I assume the online and DLC will be better on the PS3.

Hmmmm........both maybe lol

They have said they are. Why doubt that

Why doubt that they're the developers on the Wii U version? I read that they weren't on Eurogamer.

Why doubt that they're the developers on the Wii U version? I read that they weren't on Eurogamer.

It's rarely good news to find that one version has been sent out to another studio to essentially 'port'. Not only has this lead to a delay but I have a nasty feeling it could be a lesser version too.

It's rarely good news to find that one version has been sent out to another studio to essentially 'port'. Not only has this lead to a delay but I have a nasty feeling it could be a lesser version too.

That's my worry. I was all set to buy this on the Wii U but if it's just a port I'll probably pick it up on PC like I originally planned to do.

I'm also concerned that Gearbox, who were raving about the Wii U, have now outsourced the Wii U version of the game.

I was sort of hoping that @Serebii would reply back with another article proving the Eurogamer one to be incorrect.

That's my worry. I was all set to buy this on the Wii U but if it's just a port I'll probably pick it up on PC like I originally planned to do.

I'm also concerned that Gearbox, who were raving about the Wii U, have now outsourced the Wii U version of the game.

I was sort of hoping that @Serebii would reply back with another article proving the Eurogamer one to be incorrect.

Researching into it. It's the first I've heard of it.

This is out next week for PS360 - and still no reviews.

Let's not worry about it being a port - let's worry about it being shit.

Aliens: Colonial Marines Cinematic Trailer "Contact" Extended

Aliens: Colonial Marines Opening Cinematic

But reviews aren't always on the money. ZombiU got loads of bad reviews but was amazing.

I've been reading the user impressions of Gaf and it sounds like a bit of a mess. No surprise really, given the development hell the game has had.

Is there any chance the Wii U port will be any better seeing as Gearbox didn't handle it and it has more time to get things right before release?

Is there any chance the Wii U port will be any better seeing as Gearbox didn't handle it and it has more time to get things right before release?

They will no doubt try and market as improved with the gampad making it the better experience.

I've been reading the user impressions of Gaf and it sounds like a bit of a mess. No surprise really, given the development hell the game has had.

What happened in development? I knew it took 5 years but I didn't realise it had major problems.

As for the game, I'll likely still get it on the Wii U unless the Wii U version is worse in any way. I love the universe and I'm less picky about games than most people. Plus the multiplayer is meant to be good fun.

What happened in development? I knew it took 5 years but I didn't realise it had major problems.

Wasn't it put on hold for Duke Nukem Forever? I may be wrong, but it was delayed initially at around the same time.

^I'm not sure if that's true, but I love the idea that DNF's absolute dominance regarding DELAY POWER was so mighty that the game ended up with the ability to delay games that previously had been completely unrelated to it. It's beautiful.

Let's hope it hasn't also infected this game with the stench of shit.

Considering the quality of the Borderlands games, it's safe to say that the stench of DNF was from all the previous development problems.