NEurope
gaggle64

Aliens: Colonial Marines - Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen

I think interest is low because we haven't heard new stuff for ages and also because it's not out for so long. I'm sure come next year we'll all be excited for the game again.

Hmm, I'm not so sure. This game has possibly missed the boat, for me. What we have to remember as well is that there will be other shooters that will come around before this comes out, like ZombiU. I also worry that they've spent too much time on this, almost like over-baking a cake.

Meh, will see. Still pissed it's so far away. Can definitely see myself just giving it a miss now. Also, the more I think about it, the more I don't really want to play a shooter with dual analogue, again.

My personal feeling is that if I were a 360 or PS3 owner then this game would look average amongst the competition. But that is purely based on what we have seen rather than a playable version.

Let's be honest, it doesn't look like it's breaking any real ground.

I think @Firece_LiNk is right tbh... they're are gonna have to do some major work to rebuild the hype up for this game.

Q1 is absolutely packed next year; every single game that's getting delayed at the moment is ending up there, and I think this game is just gonna get lost there now. I remember being pretty blown away by the initial couple of trailers/walkthroughs of this game, but all that's gone now, even the game doesn't somehow appear quite as impressive (probably because we've seen some incredible looking new games at E3) and now I'm not really that interested.

This truly looks great. I'd love to see what they're planning to use the tablet for. I just hope they won't make it super-linear, CoD-style.

I must admit, that trailer looked awesome, It's grabbed my attention once again. However it's a good thing this isn't available from launch. I think it should be released after March/April as there are too many titles that interest me from October straight through to the end of Q1 2013.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/10/12/aliens-colonial-marines-nycc-panel-will-play-host-to-a-special-guest/

Aliens: Colonial Marines NYCC panel will play host to a special guest

An Aliens: Colonial Marines panel is being held at NYCC this weekend, and Gearbox along with SEGA has announced a special quest will be sitting in on the discussion.

Called “Designing the Videogame Sequel to ALIENS – Aliens: Colonial Marines and the challenges of scale and canon,” the panel participants will consist of Gearbox’s Randy Pitchford, Brian Martel, Mikey Neumann, and John Mulkey.

The panel will be moderated by Gary Whitta, and the special guest is none other than actor and Aliens synthetic, Lance Henriksen.

Gearbox and Henriksen will share insights into the game’s development, how the team used the franchise’s mythology, and “what it means to create a video game sequel to one of the most talked about cult classics of all time.”

The panel takes place Saturday, October 13 in Room 1A07 at the Javits Center from 11:00 am -12:00 pm.

I am curious to how this game turns out! Aliens is such a fun film, and a game following after the film's story could be interesting to play.

Edited by are1981

Really looking forward to seeing some footage from the Wii U version of this game.

Feels like Gearbox have been working on the Wii U version for a while, so really hope it's the definative version in every regard.

Really looking forward to seeing some footage from the Wii U version of this game.

Feels like Gearbox have been working on the Wii U version for a while, so really hope it's the definative version in every regard.

That's a really nice trailer. Haven't heard anything from this game in so long.

I hope this is like the mode from AVP2 where when you die, you play as the Alien. Properly shit scary stuff that mode and was by far my favourite. Nice to see a variety of aliens. Haven't read up on them but I'm happy to keep it mysterious until release.

This game looks absolutely terrible. The survivor mode trailer did it no favours and they really need to fix the Xenomorph running animation - ouch.

Seriously hope I'm wrong about this, I want it to be good as much as all of you.

Playing Mass Effect 3 has reignited my anticipation for this game. The multiplayer looks like I should be good too.

I'd be surprised if this game was mediocre, but really, I don't even think it's going to be that good.

I suspect if it had been more like Dead Space it'd be a lot more promising.

I'd be surprised if this game was mediocre, but really, I don't even think it's going to be that good.

I suspect if it had been more like Dead Space it'd be a lot more promising.

As in third person?

Dead Space Extraction was really good in First Person, but then that has a few other psychological elments, zero G moments, and multiple characters to mix things up.

This game has to deliver on atmosphere, but yeah will that be enough.

Why do the aliens all have glowing green spots on them? I was really looking forward to this, but these trailers are actually a little off putting!

Why do the aliens all have glowing green spots on them? I was really looking forward to this, but these trailers are actually a little off putting!

Theres only one breed of alien that has the glowing green spots on them in this game.

I think playing this in 4 player co-op mode will be amazing.

I'm looking forward to hearin all those sound effects! And havin the game pad as the motion sensor will be great.

As in third person?

Dead Space Extraction was really good in First Person, but then that has a few other psychological elments, zero G moments, and multiple characters to mix things up.

This game has to deliver on atmosphere, but yeah will that be enough.

Yeah, third person. IGN put sums up my expectations pretty well, 'It ultimately comes down to an unavoidable fact: the game has to show you the xenomorph.' And while that'd still be true in in third person, Dead Space manages to pull it off, probably because it's a survival horror with platforming and puzzle elements. I think Alien should have gone this route, not run and gun.

I'm the biggest Alien fan OF ALL TIME (Kanye West gif) and I couldn't be any less excited about this.

It's just totally missed the boat in terms of release date. It's been in development for so, so long that any excitement for it has simply died out. The more I see of the game, the more it diverts from its original path. The original game didn't have co-op play, it was initially a single-player game that seemed to get across well the theme of isolation. The introduction of co-op play goes against this. The game WAS loyal to the film Aliens (indeed, the whole franchise) and now it has diverted from that path by introducing more and more ideas that don't really have much of a place in the universe. Suicide-bomber Aliens? That last trailer which feature the exploding head thing just...it kills me inside.

Basically, they need to back up about 12 months and take what game they had, perfect it, and release it the fuck into the wild already.

Well, let's put it this way:

How loyal to the Bond franchise was Goldeneye? REALLY? And in particular: how loyal to the MOVIE was Goldeneye? Do you remember the part where Bond knew about the Goldeneye satellite to begin with? Remember how Bond actually was in Severnaya during the Goldeneye attack?

I still believe this game has potential to be completely amzing, although it seems a bit like it's Left4Dead with Aliens.

Well, let's put it this way:

How loyal to the Bond franchise was Goldeneye? REALLY? And in particular: how loyal to the MOVIE was Goldeneye? Do you remember the part where Bond knew about the Goldeneye satellite to begin with? Remember how Bond actually was in Severnaya during the Goldeneye attack?

I still believe this game has potential to be completely amzing, although it seems a bit like it's Left4Dead with Aliens.

Certain parts of the Goldeneye game would need to be changed to make it more accessible as a game. Some parts naturally work and fit, like the Archives and Tank sections. Some parts will need to be changed to make it more fun as a game. Look at the facility level. It doesn't play exactly like the film (except for the end part) but it's altered to make it more playable.

Goldeneye still remains true to the film. Your important characters are still there. It has the atmosphere of the films, the stealth aspect, as well as the shoot-out-ability that is still relevant to the series.

So, although it alters a few things here and there, it doesn't actually change or rework the formula. Aliens has mostly stuck to it, but there are certain things that are included which...don't actually fit. Is there a real need to create different classes of Aliens that don't exist in the films? Well, personally, I'd say no. Unless those classes could theoretically exist in the franchise/film. Which, I would say some of the classes don't.

As for co-op, it only annoys me because it just means the game has changed (even if it is slightly, that's debatable) from what was initially offered. The multiplayer modes basically look like the AvP games. I don't want that. I want Aliens (the film) in game form. Not another AvP.

I think the classes are a great way to make the multiplayer more fun. Without them I think it would get stale very quickly.