NEurope
daftada

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

According to last night's meeting, this will be available on cart and as digital download. That sounds perfect to me - I played other AC titles for about a year after release, and swapping out discs every day with my latest game (not to mention the Freeloader on GameCube...) was always a pain.

Nice, DD will be perfect for AC. Like you said it'll always be there. Sometimes I only went on Wild World for 5 minutes or something so it'll be nice not having to swap cards.

As you know, all of my remarks and explanations on our digital business are kept and made available for public viewing on our IR site inside Nintendo’s official website. Unfortunately, as some people seem to have a misunderstanding, I would like to once again sum up my comments here.

First, we clearly distinguish digital distribution of packaged software from add-on content and, when it comes to making packaged software digitally available, we do not intend to offer any products that the consumers deem incomplete.

Second, we sell add-on content so that the consumers can play a software title for even longer and on a deeper level and, when we sell this add-on content, we are making a proposal to consumers to pay for the content our developers have additionally created. In other words, as we have repeatedly confirmed, Nintendo has never conducted and will never conduct what is now widely known (in Japan) as a “gacha-type charging business” (capsule toy vending machine business), which asks consumers to pay money without knowing what kind of item shall emerge as a result of their payment, even if such a business model might temporarily yield high profitability.

Nintendo does not believe such a business model can establish long-lasting relationships with our consumers. We hope that everyone understands our policy, and we will continue to make efforts to avoid such misunderstandings as, “the next ‘Animal Crossing’ might be a game which relies upon add-on content sales.”

Very glad to hear this. Nintendo really do seem to be making that turn that was needed when it comes to DLC/online gaming.

Yeah, I think this is one I'd definitely prefer as a download. I'll probably get NSMB2 at retail, but I'll get Demon Training and Animal Crossing on the eShop.

With them being games that you play a little of every day, they're perfectly suited to DD!

I reckon Nintendo's making the right approach here regarding DD. It's all about offering the consumer as much choice as possible and with them leaving the price of DD games in stores completely up to retailers, everybody wins (especially us, when retailers drop the price of DD games along with retail ones! :D )

Your right this does sound like a good game to download!

Mind you, what the the size of these files be?

Your right this does sound like a good game to download!

Mind you, what the the size of these files be?

AC and Demon Training will likely be very small (AC GCN and Wild World were only 32MB! And the Wii one was something like 150MB)

Actually, quite a lot of 3DS games are very small. Here's a list of currently known game sizes (taken from GoNintendo/Neogaf)

128MB Card

Brunswick Pro Bowling (Crave Entertainment)

Bust-A-Move Universe (Square Enix)

Cubic Ninja (Marvelous AQL)

Frogger 3D (Konami)

Mahjong Cub3d (Sunsoft)

Nicktoons MLB (Take Two Interactive)

Petz Fantasy 3D (Ubisoft)

PilotWings Resort (Nintendo)

Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection (Crave Entertainment)

Puzzler Mind Gym (Ubisoft)

256MB Card

Cooking Mama 4: Kitchen Magic (Majesco)

Dream Trigger 3D (Bandai Namco)

Dual Pen Sports (Bandai Namco)

Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters (WB Games)

Happy Feet Two (WB Games)

Nano Assault (Majesco)

Naruto Shippuden 3D: The New Era (Takara Tomy)

Pac Man Party 3D (Bandai Namco)

Rabbids Travel in Time 3D (Ubisoft)

Rayman 3D (Ubisoft)

SpongeBob SquigglePants (THQ)

Steel Diver (Nintendo)

Sudoku: The Puzzle Game Collection (Konami)

Super Monkey Ball 3D (Sega)

Tetris Axis (Nintendo)

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (Ubisoft)

Wipeout 2 (Activision)

512MB Card

Asphalt 3D (Ubisoft)

bit.trip Saga (Aksys Games)

Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion (Crave)

Cave Story 3D (Nippon Ichi Soft)

Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D (Ubisoft)

Crush3D (Sega)

Driver Renegade 3D (Ubisoft)

Generator Rex: Agent of Providence (Activision)

Harvest Moon 3D: The Tale of Two Towns (Marvelous AQL)

James Noir's Hollywood Crimes (Ubisoft)

LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (WB Games)

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Disney)

LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (LucasArts)

Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (Sega)

Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet (THQ)

Michael Jackson: The Experience 3D (Ubisoft)

Nintendogs + Cats (Nintendo)

One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP Episode 1 (Bandai Namco)

Pac Man & Galaga Dimensions (Bandai Namco)

Pokémon Rumble Blast (Nintendo)

Shinobi (Sega)

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure (Activision)

Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo)

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (Ubisoft)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo)

The Sims 3 (Electronic Arts)

The Sims 3: Pets (Electronic Arts)

Zoo Resort 3D (Marvelous AQL)

1GB Card

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy (Bandai Namco)

Captain America: Super Soldier (Sega)

F1 2011 (Codemasters)

Madden NFL Football (Electronic Arts)

Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo)

Need for Speed: The Run (Electronic Arts)

Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D (Konami)

Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 3D (Konami)

Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracles (Level 5)

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (Capcom)

Ridge Racer 3D (Bandai Namco)

Sonic Generations (Sega)

Star Fox 64 3D (Nintendo)

Transformers: Dark of the Moon: Stealth Force Edition (Activision)

2GB Card

Blazblue Continuum Shift II (Aksys Games)

Dead or Alive Dimensions (Koei Tecmo)

Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights (Konami)

FIFA Soccer 12 (Electronic Arts)

Kid Icarus: Uprising (Nintendo)

Monster Hunter Tri G (Capcom)

One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP (Bandai Namco)

Samurai Warriors Chronicles (Koei Tecmo)

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivir Overclocked (Atlus)

Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (Capcom)

Tales of the Abyss (Bandai Namco)

Tekken 3D: Prime Edition (Bandai Namco)

Thor: God of Thunder (Sega)

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D (Ubisoft)

WWE All-Stars (THQ)

4GB Card

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (Square Enix)

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D (Konami)

New Love Plus (Konami)

Resident Evil Revelations (Capcom)

Hell some of those games are smaller than eShop titles! (Mighty Switch Force is something like 300MB odd) And SD cards are dirt cheap. I don't envision it being a major problem.

Wii U games on the other hand...

That's good then, I was just thinking that if it meant swapping out an SD card, you might as well buy the retail version.

Wow, I never considered the possibility of Animal Crossing as a downloadable title! But yeah, it actually does make a lot of sense. icon14.gif

Kind of wish this was around for nintendogs + cats now. That's another game that would benefit greatly from being always available without the cart.

Hmm... I wonder if Nintendo will add previously released retail games to their DD plans. :hmm:

Not that I'd re-buy a game just for that. :heh:

Not even sure if I fully like the idea of DD for retail titles, the Cranky Kong part of me still wants to own the game box/cart/manual etc... :grin:

Anyway, that's the way things are going, so I guess I should contemporise. :laughing:

I never thought of this being a digital download before today, but it does actually make a lot of sense. In order to check up on your town/village, you'd just turn the 3DS on and jump right in. No need to replace whatever is in the cartridge slot and pop animal crossing in there after retrieving it from where it was kept beforehand.

For these games where you only play in short bursts, I can see DD being a huge advantage. Hmm.

Who knew two posts in this thread could completely make me turn my opinion on DD Games the other way round.

Animal Crossing 3D is a day one download for me!

Who knew two posts in this thread could completely make me turn my opinion on DD Games the other way round.

Animal Crossing 3D is a day one download for me!

Yeah, I'm a lover of physically owning games. It's just nice to look over at a shelf and see it there. There's something lovely about cover art and logos and the back of the box.

But, Animal Crossing done digitally seems to make more sense this way. If there was only one title I would download, I guess it would be this one.

I wonder if the next WiiSports game will come as a free download on the WiiU.

Given the choice I'd always prefer to have something tangible (the expensive costs don't help either), but I don't think twice about downloading digital only software. As soon as the choice of physical media goes away, we won't struggle in any way to make the shift .

Just occasionally nostalgia will pang a little. All 2nd hand book shops will become antique book shops over night :)

It's just nice to look over at a shelf and see it there. There's something lovely about cover art and logos and the back of the box.

Well said, having the physical cases is lovely especially if the box art is great, a lot of 3DS games have great box art designs aswell!

This will definitely a release day download for me! although I played animal crossing DS, I really liked it but my character was deleted countless times to the point where I just stopped playing. being able to play this like other eShop titles is a real plus, just knowing that you can access it whenever make you want to play it more!

Now I can't wait for this, actually I've said this for quite a few titles now, 3DS is awesome!

I actually prefer not having a physical game (clutter)... apart from the price. At the moment I can buy something, sell it on and the experience might have cost me about £10 overall. With that in mind, I'm keen on downloadable games, but I'd only get them if they were significantly cheaper than the physical version.

Wii U games on the other hand...

We'll probably be buying a portable hard drive for that.

I am not downloading any games I like getting them at the shop

Gah, I dunno in all honesty...

Downloadable games would be so perfect... FULL Nintendo games, all stored on my 3DS? It just makes so much sense... and yet there is this niggling part of me that still loves to buy the physical release... That said, a lot of you have presented so many compelling reasons to ditch physical...

I dunno >_>

As much as I like the idea of just downloading a full 3DS game, I'd miss the simple pleasure of pinging the cart out the top of the unit!

A lot of it is the price. If I can buy it cheaper (or at the LEAST the same I can buy it online for) then I'd think about it. But they never will!

No matter what the price is, I still want that retail version haha, I want to be able to play my Animal Crossing game on newer consoles or other 3DS's when mine would break

Must be a 2013/2014 release then...? ::shrug:

Tbh, with Mario 2, Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario, the 3DS line-up has me pretty excited already. :)