NEurope
Retro_Link

Zelda Wii U [Tech demo]

Something to keep in mind about Nintendo and visual impact.

They have not had any experience with programming for consoles with anywhere near this much power yet.

So they literally have years of experience to catch up on.

To be honest if this was made solely by NoJ, it's definitely not bad for a first attempt, but obviously we can expect far more polished games come launch.

I swear to you Dante, that clip made me so, so joyous. It literally brought a tear to my eye and my heart is glowing. I honestly feel pregnant from happiness.

I've been watching several clips and demos of this. Not only does it blow me away graphically, but it also as great controller integration, showing just how this new pad will add an extra dimension to gaming!

For the sake of embedding a video which shows off the interactivity of the demo:

Maybe Nintendo should go look at Tomb Raider and Uncharted to see what people get wowed by graphically.

They should definitely not. There are enough pseudo-realistic games around. :p

This is their style and even if it took them years to fully utilize all the shaders and what else they got now to their maximum effect, there is something to be said about Nintendo games looking unique.

Even if Nintendo decided to make something comparable to an Uncharted game, they won't get the people drooling over Playstation games to "convert". So what's the point in throwing your game's identity away just to cannibalize a bit on someone else's market and getting rid of some of your own at the same time?

Edited by Burny

Zelda shows us that the new controller is perfect for this series. Graphically, it looks amazing as well. Just got to hope that they make it an actual game, and not leave it as a tech demo (i'm looking at you Spaceworld).

Zelda shows us that the new controller is perfect for this series. Graphically, it looks amazing as well. Just got to hope that they make it an actual game, and not leave it as a tech demo (i'm looking at you Spaceworld).

So all the work they're currently doing with wiimotionplus and how it's THE WAY to play Zelda. And that's getting abandoned for a glorified DS bottom screen :)

PS I realise this is just a tech demo!

So all the work they're currently doing with wiimotionplus and how it's THE WAY to play Zelda. And that's getting abandoned for a glorified DS bottom screen :)

PS I realise this is just a tech demo!

Who knows, perhaps when the WiiU comes out, we'll get a choice on what controls we would like to use. So, Motionplus may not be forgotten with the series still. Who knows, perhaps Motionplus could be used still and the new controller could be the bottom screen like the DS incarnations of Zelda.

Possibilities are endless.

For the sake of embedding a video which shows off the interactivity of the demo:

Now that is awesome! Just seeing Link's shield as he walks down the corridor has me more excited than anything else I've seen for half a decade.

Are they taking the mick, though, saying that spiders are "mature" and not something you'd expect in a Nintendo game? Zelda always has spiders in it.

Quite! Although you won't find me complaining about that! As far as Zeldas are concerned, I want them to pretend motion controls didn't happen. Even if they offer motion controls as an option, that'll negatively affect the game in terms of design, as the players using the Wii remote won't be able to do half the things the rest of us will.

Oh, I so hope this is a real game. It's too good to waste.

Are they taking the mick, though, saying that spiders are "mature" and not something you'd expect in a Nintendo game? Zelda always has spiders in it.

Don't mind the people talking in the video. They guy who filmed this and posted it on Neogaf said they were just fooling around. Drunken on E3 excitement, likely. ;)

It's a demo btw, not a game.

I missed alot of the specs on this thing. Have they mentioned how far away from the console you can take the controller?

Can i play Zelda HD on my toilet?

Can i play Zelda HD on my toilet?

This brings about a serious question:

Won't games that utilise the screen for controls be not be playable with the TV screen off?

No? The game is still running on the console. The actual tv-screen shouldn't matter. It is just recieving a signal that is already running on the console.

I might have misunderstood the question.

I absolutely Love that Adult Link design. It's not that different from the one in Twilight Princess, but there's something about it that makes it more the Adult Link design I've always wanted.

No? The game is still running on the console. The actual tv-screen shouldn't matter. It is just recieving a signal that is already running on the console.

I might have misunderstood the question.

I think what he;'s saying is that if the controller screen is used as an integral element to the game design then will streaming be possible? Not is it possible of the tele is off.

I hope most games let you do it. Obviously the tech demos can't because the game is using both screens. But games like Zelda which just it as an inventory, I hope you can still stream it and the inventory becomes the pause menu or whatever.

I think what he;'s saying is that if the controller screen is used as an integral element to the game design then will streaming be possible? Not is it possible of the tele is off.

I hope most games let you do it. Obviously the tech demos can't because the game is using both screens. But games like Zelda which just it as an inventory, I hope you can still stream it and the inventory becomes the pause menu or whatever.

OR!

The inventory stuff will then get streamed to a 3DS, making your western toilet experience, a Japanese toilet experience with 3 screens in a tiny cubicle :3

Shit banter I wouldn't pay much attention to it.

Quite! Although you won't find me complaining about that! As far as Zeldas are concerned, I want them to pretend motion controls didn't happen.

+1 !

I absolutely Love that Adult Link design. It's not that different from the one in Twilight Princess, but there's something about it that makes it more the Adult Link design I've always wanted.

That's the twilight princess link. It's an asset demo afterall.

^ It's clearly an improved Twilight Princess Link... the hair is better, the face is clearer and more detailed. To me Link looks a lot better.

^ It's clearly an improved Twilight Princess Link... the hair is better, the face is clearer and more detailed. To me Link looks a lot better.

Yeah but it's still Twilight Princess Link, just as that's HD TP versions of ArmoGohmma, the Temple of Time and the same visual style for the item select screen.

I know I'm always going on about it, but I'm sure they made a better Link model in 2004 than actually ended up in the finished game (he seemed "flatter" and less detailed):

the-legend-of-zelda-gcn-20041123071034713.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-gcn-200405110014050.jpg

So, take that model, spruce it up a bit and display it in HD. It was nice to see something that even surpassed their original vision.

OK but still, if you watch it from 43secs, when he's in the light...

... all the extra detail means he looks considerably different to/better than...

twilight_princess_link.jpg

^ which I wasn't a fan of. But the one in the video I really like.

Edited by Retro_Link

Oh yeah, I meant to back you up, Retro, no argue against you. They've taken their best-asset version of Twilight Link and spruced it up. It all looks so much better.