N-Europe

Mario Party 9

Hero-of-Time

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

Been eagerly awaiting a Mario Party Europe release date for a while, so good news it's getting a release the same time as USA. I was concerned they might have given us Boom street, and pushed Mario party back till later in the year.

Fingers crossed for lots of cool unlockables, and gameplay that matches some of the earlier parties that doesn't repeat the mistakes of number 8.

I have always had a bit of a soft spot for the Mario Party series.

I loved the DS version and played all of the console versions apart from 8.

Really looking forward to this but do wish it had an online function.

Also agree with those that have mentioned the car - wtf?!

It's worth buying for the box alone though I think haha! :o

Oh sweet, this one might actually be good then! :p

Don't get your hopes up too high! :p

More information,

It's being developed by Nd Cube:

The company is now headed by Hidetoshi Endo, who was the former President of Hudson Soft. In addition, the key employees of the Mario Party team at Hudson have also joined the company. Nd Cube released Wii Party for the Wii console in 2010, and are currently developing Mario Party 9 for the Wii set for release March, 2012.

:)

I actually enjoy the Mario Party series but haven't played one since mario party 5 (one of my favourite gamecube games)

It's a shame my Wii is currently broken!

Don't get your hopes up too high! :p

More information,

It's being developed by Nd Cube:

The company is now headed by Hidetoshi Endo, who was the former President of Hudson Soft. In addition, the key employees of the Mario Party team at Hudson have also joined the company. Nd Cube released Wii Party for the Wii console in 2010, and are currently developing Mario Party 9 for the Wii set for release March, 2012.

:)

I actually enjoy the Mario Party series but haven't played one since mario party 5 (one of my favourite gamecube games)

It's a shame my Wii is currently broken!

You have a good choice, Mario Party 5 is by far the best in the series! I've had many fun times on that :grin:

And I got Wii Party a few days ago, I'll play it later this week so hopefully it holds up well. Though I don't think anything will put me off getting Mario Party 9 anyway :p

• 2 weeks later...

Got my copy of ONM earlier in the post.

They have reviewed Mario Party 9.

They gave it 86%!

The overall verdict suggested that they had learned their lesson from previous games and that this was a 'refreshing revamp'.

I have picked some bits out of the review that explain how the game works but have spoilered them in case people didn't want to know and would rather wait to get the game. They're not even spoilers really, but just in case...!

The way the game works (which I didn't know) is that you travel around in a vehicle and each player takes a turn to be the 'captain'. Therefore when you roll the dice as captain, whatever square you land on only affects you - even though you are travelling as a group.

They have also done away with coins in this game and now it is all stars (as normal) and 'mini stars'. The mini stars are collected as you travel across the map and you can be tactical when it is your turn to ensure you are the one who gets the mini star, or try to get it so you leave the next player in a sticky situation when it is their turn.

This time round there are also some boss battles - halfway through a stage and at the end. The overall aim is for all of the players to take the boss down but there are points to be had by who is the most effective in doing it and who lands the final hit etc.

As the maps draw to a close the Bowser squares are now dotted about a lot more frequently, which makes the end of each game very tense as it can result in a change of fortune very quickly.

There are a total of 78 mini games with ONM saying the good far outweigh the number of bad.

To focus more on single player they have also added some mini game exclusive modes. One such mode is called 'Step It Up' which has you climbing a staircase every time you win a mini game and 'Garden Battle' which adds strategy, allowing the player to pick from a selection of plants with each mini game win - the aim being to fill your garden before the other players.

They also talk about the type of mini games on offer although they are all things that have probably been seen before with other mini game based games the Wii has offered.

I think it looks and sounds amazing. I have wanted a good Mario Party for years and didn't think it would happen on the Wii but it seems like it has come right at the end of it's lifetime. Hopefully it won't be a forgotten rare gem as can happen in such instances...

I have whacked my pre-order down on the strength of this review and can't wait for it to be released! :D

Woah! Holy shit, no coins?! That's madness!

I like the sound of those extra Bowser spaces at the end of the game :D Nothing beats winning by complete bullshit deus ex machina! :bouncy:

All in all, it sounds good. I've had a good vibe about this one ever since it was announced. Seems like it could be the best Mario Party since the N64 ones!