NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

I am not thrilled at all by the idea of two Smash Bros games... why? They'd have to be totally, totally different... I just find the idea confusing and annoying. I can't quite picture it yet, but we'll see.

CHARACTERS

As for Guests I'd like to see Bomberman and Megaman for sure. Any others? Maybe a Square Enix character like someone from the retro FF or even Lara Croft. Prof. Layton is a good suggestion too!

And there's still bags more Nintendo could offer. How about - King K. Rool, Paper Mario (with an entirely different move set), Tingle (I'm serious), Tom Nook (using axes, spades, nets, etc), Andy from Advance Wars, Isaac, Ridley. Meh... the usual stuff.

I'd like to see Ridley (look at the Melee intro - he's not too big in that) and Krystal* in it. I also want Toon Link and Gannondorf to have unique movesets.

One thing I've really wanted from Smash Bros. is to have alternate models for most of the characters. The alternate models will be based on similar/alternate versions of the characters but have exactly the same moveset as the main characters.

Such have having different suits as Samus, lots of different Mario suits, Daisy/Roselina for Peach, Waluigi for Luigi. I'd want them to go completely wild with it and have lots and lots of options.

*It's not so much the character, but the Staff would make for a brilliant moveset.

No, just no......

Waluigi is too much of an awesome character to get the moveset of Luigi...

If anything it should be the other way around, but I like Luigi's moveset too much for that.

No, give Waluigi what he has deserved over these past years being a sidekick to Wario; a full-fledged game and a unique moveset!

I'm still hoping that Daisy and Waluigi are in Luigi's Mansion 2, but I doubt it...:(

Edited by Fused King

Project Sora director Masahiro Sakurai discusses all things Smash Brothers during the latest segment of the popular Iwata Asks.

As I’m sure the majority of you are aware the game is coming to both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. A lot of questions about the game remain unanswered though, especially the way that the two games will interact with each other. Anyway, here’s some of Sakura’s thoughts and musings regarding the highly anticipated game.

-Internal talk about creating a new Smash Bros. first started a bit after the release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl on Wii in 2008.

-This was about the time Nintendo first asked Sakurai to make a 3DS game. Iwata realized that fans would want a new Smash Bros. for the 3DS, but he was unsure if it would be okay to ask Sakurai to make another Smash Bros. immediately following Brawl.

-When Iwata first mentioned the development of Wii U to Sakurai, it seems that Sakurai immediately realized that they’d need to make Smash Bros. for both platforms.

-Iwata had actually intended to ask him if he’d like to make the game for 3DS or for Wii U.

-Sakurai had actually begun thinking about what he’d do with the next Smash Bros. while he worked on Kid Icarus.

-He felt that it would be wrong to make a mere extension of Super Smash Bros. Melee (GameCube) and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. He did not feel that it would be right to just increase the volume, adding 50 characters or doubling the stages for instance.

-He also felt it would be wrong to just improve the visuals. This is why he felt that selecting to make the game for the console just because it would have greater performance would be wrong.

-Making a portable version had its appeal for him, as they’d be able to do a number of new things. At the same time, there would be limits, as they’d be handicapped in some areas when it comes to offering the usual enjoyment areas of Smash Bros.

-Specifically, Sakurai feels that a portable system makes the game a more “individual†experience in that, compared to a console, it’s easier to make players attached to the data that they’ve built up and collected. The fact that you’re carrying the hardware with you makes for a more personal experience.

-The difficulty here is that the current Smash Bros. games haven’t relied on rewards, collecting money or raising your character’s level. There’s no element of gaining experience to make your character stronger, Iwata noted.

-Adding the notion of experience would pose a dilmena, explained Sakurai, as there are some players who would get into such a game, while others would not like it. Iwata added that placing a focus on experience would also make the game lose its instant play quality.

What Sakurai hopes to do is have the 3DS version of Smash Bros. allow players to build up their character through battle and rewards, then take their custom character to the Wii U version to face off against everyone. He feels it could be nice if they can make the “personal†portable space and the stadium-like “public†console space mesh together.

Iwata summed it the basic idea nicely: players would spend time on the 3DS version, building up their character and collecting stuff, then show off their skills on the Wii U version.

-Sakurai noted that as the Wii U is an HD system, this version could offer 60 frames per second visuals, high quality graphics, dynamic effects, and smooth character movements.

-While it is important to have both versions of the game be enjoyable on their own, Sakurai feels that connectivity between the two versions will make the experience even more enjoyable.

-Closing off the little section offering vague hints about the new Smash Bros. games, Sakurai said that his aim with the 3DS version is to offer players a slightly

different experience from conventional Smash Bros. games. He believes that there is merit in having skilled and unskilled players play together, so one emphasis will be on elements of players helping one-another.

I love the sound of the bolded section.

One thing I'd like to see is more stuff like Poke Balls/Assist Trophies, but with like...a MASSIVE range of things that they do/that come out.

Also, not quite related, but does anybody ever wonder if Sakurai could be the next biggest thing to follow Miyamoto? I mean, he's not in the same league yet, but when I found out the man who'd brought me Kirby also brought me the fantastic Smash Bros series(something I didn't learn until Brawl was on the way/out), I did begin to wonder. Smash Bros is a game absolutely like no other.

I thought Snake and Sonic were awesome in Brawl. Much better implemented than, say, Toon Link (who is a slightly modified clone), Ganondorf (who still needs his own moveset) or Jigglypuff (who lacks everything that made her fun in Melee)

Indeed. The only improvement made to Jigglypuff was that it was harder to commit suicide with Rollout.

Sing was just as useless as before, and Rest also became a death sentence.

Pound seemed to be off too, though I think that's because of the games stiffer physics (which also make Rest strange to try and hit with).

I have to say that I enjoyed Toon Link; though cloney, he was a nice upgrade from Young Link. I don't think Ganondorf's moveset will change much now.

If anything Ganondorf needs his Melee moves back. He is my favorite Smash Bros. character and having him nerfed for Brawl hurt a lot. Although I suppose it might be more balanced now ;)

One thing I'd like to see is more stuff like Poke Balls/Assist Trophies, but with like...a MASSIVE range of things that they do/that come out.

Also, not quite related, but does anybody ever wonder if Sakurai could be the next biggest thing to follow Miyamoto? I mean, he's not in the same league yet, but when I found out the man who'd brought me Kirby also brought me the fantastic Smash Bros series(something I didn't learn until Brawl was on the way/out), I did begin to wonder. Smash Bros is a game absolutely like no other.

I like his ideas, that's for sure. I just hope he works on more than just Kirby and Smash Bros, though. Kid Icarus Uprising looks awesome, at least.

@Kurtle&Adthegreat: Don't get me wrong, I love using Toon Link (better then Regular Link) and Melee!Ganondorf (favourite character in the game), but I think they should have their own movesets.

The same thing should be said about Wario. They utterly and completely ignored the Wario Land series in Brawl, and that's just wrong.

I am not thrilled at all by the idea of two Smash Bros games... why? They'd have to be totally, totally different... I just find the idea confusing and annoying. I can't quite picture it yet, but we'll see.

I'd love for Nintendo to make it possible to carry your home games with you. Just imagine playing Smash on your Wii U, then you're gonna go for a train trip, so you wirelessly transfer your Wii U game save to your 3DS, continue playing on the train, then transfer your save back to your Wii U when you come home.

-What Sakurai hopes to do is have the 3DS version of Smash Bros. allow players to build up their character through battle and rewards, then take their custom character to the Wii U version to face off against everyone.

Iwata summed it the basic idea nicely: players would spend time on the 3DS version, building up their character and collecting stuff, then show off their skills on the Wii U version.

I really do hope that this doesn't mean that if one can kick ones behind on any Smash Bros. in general, one now no longer will be able to do so because 3DS owners can level-up and bring their over-powered characters over to the Wii U version - where one would then be at a handicap. Would this be so that the not-so-experienced can feel experienced by cheating the experienced? :nono:

Or will Wii U-only owners also be able to level-up?.. Though, arguably, 3DS owners would still be at an advantage as they can level-up on the go, where home console-only players can only level-up when they're back at their homes. :nono:

Or maybe this could be a possible indication of a new mode? Custom Character Mode: You take you custom characters on a little RPGish adventure (SubSpace Emissary sort of thing), levelling up and you can battle it out against other players, similar to how Pokemon online would be/is, but ofcourse in brawl-style?

Fuck it, even if I'm at a disadvantage I'd smash my way through them all! Afterall, that is my fun, my pleasure,... difficulty. :cool:

Edited by Beverage

I agree; I've always found the idea of a handheld Smsh Bros a bit silly without the handheld version being completely different; or at least quite a bit different.

Maybe a handheld version should be a bit more Jump Superstars-esque.

I agree; I've always found the idea of a handheld Smsh Bros a bit silly without the handheld version being completely different; or at least quite a bit different.

Maybe a handheld version should be a bit more Jump Superstars-esque.

Did you read what Hero' posted? It suggests the games could well enough be very different.

Did you read what Hero' posted? It suggests the games could well enough be very different.

Yes; and I know.

From those tidbits, it sounds like the 3DS one is focused on singleplayer and the Wii U one is focused on multiplayer.

I echo these points about Ganondorf being better in Melee than in Brawl. :(

Although, on the flip-side, I find it easier to play as Samus in Brawl, for some reason.

I wish there were more "simpler" levels in Brawl. But, when I play it, I actually like it more than I think I do. I like Snake's stage, all of the Metroid stages, the Wind Waker boat level. There's a few annoying ones like Mushroom Kingdom (although it looks nice) and Donkey Kong's Retro stage. They're shitty. But then, there were some in Melee which blew hard, too.

-What Sakurai hopes to do is have the 3DS version of Smash Bros. allow players to build up their character through battle and rewards, then take their custom character to the Wii U version to face off against everyone.

I really do hope that this doesn't mean that if one can kick ones behind on any Smash Bros. in general, one now no longer will be able to do so because 3DS owners can level-up and bring their over-powered characters over to the Wii U version - where one would then be at a handicap. Would this be so that the not-so-experienced can feel experienced by cheating the experienced? :nono:

Or will Wii U-only owners also be able to level-up?.. Though, arguably, 3DS owners would still be at an advantage as they can level-up on the go, where home console-only players can only level-up when they're back at their homes. :nono:

Or maybe this could be a possible indication of a new mode? Custom Character Mode: You take you custom characters on a little RPGish adventure (SubSpace Emissary sort of thing), levelling up and you can battle it out against other players, similar to how Pokemon online would be/is, but ofcourse in brawl-style?

Fuck it, even if I'm at a disadvantage I'd smash my way through them all! Afterall, that is my fun, my pleasure,... difficulty. :cool:

That's actually a valid point, but I do expect them to make the distinction between WiiU owners, and 3DS owners.

If they cannot, then here's your reason to buy a 3DS:awesome:

And you might "smash your way through them all!" but you will bow down to the King!

I sincerely don't want to buy the game twice. But would be forced too since I like the series too much.

The thing with Melee Ganondorf was that....he was like a perfectly fitting glove. Like all the other characters are gloves, and you can wear them, but you don't feel 100% confident, but with Ganondorf it fits perfectly and you feel completely safe in the knowledge that this glove WILL work to the best of its ability, and if your hands get cold or wet, then its user error or carelessness and no fault of the gloves.

If anything Ganondorf needs his Melee moves back. He is my favorite Smash Bros. character and having him nerfed for Brawl hurt a lot. Although I suppose it might be more balanced now ;)

He's my favourite character too, especially when playing Melee, but I'd love to see Ghirahim playable in the next Smash Bros.

He's my favourite character too, especially when playing Melee, but I'd love to see Ghirahim playable in the next Smash Bros.

I think he prefers Demon Lord Ghirahim.

He's my favourite character too, especially when playing Melee, but I'd love to see Demon Lord Ghirahim playable in the next Smash Bros.

Fixed. I hope he didn't see that. :bowdown: