NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

DLC doesn't get rated by PEGI etc does it? Seems like a sneaky way to keep the age rating down, if true. ;)

Pretty sure it does, but its counted as a separate rating from the main game. The US trailer was rated T, even though Smash 4 is rated E10, so it'll be sold with a higher age rating than the base game.

So yeah, sneaky way of getting away with it ;)

Pretty sure it does, but its counted as a separate rating from the main game. The US trailer was rated T, even though Smash 4 is rated E10, so it'll be sold with a higher age rating than the base game.

If they do a special package of the game with all DLC (I refuse to use the term "Game of the Year Edition"), then that'd be a T though

Indistinguishable Fire Emblem character number 7 :indeed:

I'm only counting six...

I'm OK with Corrin, he's no worse than Roy in Melee.

Plus, Manakete characters are cool and will help him differentiate himself.

Bayonetta alone carries this Direct! So hyped for Feburary!

(Cloud's fun to play as! Deceptively quick! Midgar stage is dope!)

Edited by Glen-i

I came home from work and finally had the opportunity to watch the Direct around midnight. Unfortunately, directly underneath the video on the Nintendo site there was mention of Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta. Immediately, my anticipation vanished :hmm:

For a start, I wondered who on earth Corrin was (and don't really seem to care much either way not that I know ::shrug:) and Bayonetta has never appealed to me in the slightest and I find her character extremely irritating :blank:

I couldn't help but be disappointed but the game is jam packed with characters as it is, something which was highlighted in the presentation, so it's no big deal that the latest round of DLC probably won't be purchased. I have, after all, only bought Ryu and his stage for Wii U and 3DS out of everything released.. and the K. Rool Mii costume :heh:

Cloud could become a lot more interesting to me if I pull my finger out and finally get around to trying out my PS1 copy of Final Fantasy VII. I've definitely been getting drawn towards it ever since his reveal last month so would presumably downlaod him as a character if the game delivers, much like how I suddenly wanted a Shulk amiibo whilst playing Xenoblade Chronicles :grin:

I thought some sleep may have helped me try and find a positive from that Direct but it didn't help.

I honestly can't believe we have another FE character in the game. At this point it may as well be called Fire Emblem Fighting + Friends. The guys over on Radio Free Nintendo are going to have a field day over this one.

In last weeks episode they were saying there better not be another sword user announced and James made the point that the FE universe has people with Axes and Lances, so how about using one of those? I look forward to hearing what they have to say.

Cloud we all knew about anyway, so his showing had very little impact.

Bayonetta is easily one of my most hated game characters across any platform. Seeing her in the game done absolutely nothing for me.

The Direct was quite fitting really. For me, it was a seriously disappointing Direct, which has rounded off what has been a seriously disappointing year from Nintendo.

For me it wasn't brilliant either, but getting Ryu earlier in the year was all I really ever wanted anyway.

Overall I think the DLC is pretty good from a variety point of view. Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta do all seem to be characters that they have put a lot of thought into creating different and interesting move sets that are appropriate to the character.

In last weeks episode they were saying there better not be another sword user announced and James made the point that the FE universe has people with Axes and Lances, so how about using one of those? I look forward to hearing what they have to say.

Could not agree more with this, even if Corrin does seem to have more effort than the other FE characters.

I was hoping for the return of local tournaments though. :(

You know, it's times like this that you wonder if you're living in a fairytale world. The first Bayo was a commercial flop and chances of a sequel were more or less completely zero.

Out of absolutely nowhere, not only do Nintendo save the series with a big budget sequel (that again doesn't sell very well) and then goes ahead and gives it the Amiibo AND the Smash Bros treatment!

At this rate, she may even get a bloody 3rd game! :D

Someone calling the shots at Nintendo has damn good taste in games! And to you, I salute you! Godspeed, saviours of quality games : peace:

Speaking of which, that was a real gut punch from Sakurai to all those publishers and developers who screw people with fake DLC that was cut out of the base game. Godspeed you crazy crazy, wonderful man! :D

It really says a lot when Cloud feels like a second rate character now with this announcement :laughing:

What do you think about her deformed (how ironic :heh:) look in Smash Bros. though?

I would've been all over a Bayonetta amiibo if it was using the correct proportions, but chibi-Bayo? :grin:

If you compare to how she appears in Bayonetta 2 (with the scale adjusted so that her shoes are the same size) you can see how much bigger her head is in the smash version:

X8OLE6h.jpg

And if you scale it so that her head is the same size, she ends up looking tiny!: :D

bXOID1j.jpg

Reminds me of this:

Pic :laughing:

Still amazed/hyped that she's gonna be in the game though. :)

And you're right, the chance of there being a Bayonetta 3 just increased quite a bit too! :yay:

The best news from this direct is that they are done with the game and can now focus on Smash NX (whether that's with Sakurai or someone in charge).

They need Smash out within the first 18 months of NX's launch - it MUST be system seller. Get it out early and I'm sure it will make a difference.

What do you think about her deformed (how ironic :heh:) look in Smash Bros. though?

I would've been all over a Bayonetta amiibo if it was using the correct proportions, but chibi-Bayo? :grin:

If you compare to how she appears in Bayonetta 2 (with the scale adjusted so that her shoes are the same size) you can see how much bigger her head is in the smash version:

X8OLE6h.jpg

And if you scale it so that her head is the same size, she ends up looking tiny!: :D

bXOID1j.jpg

Reminds me of this:

Pic :laughing:

Still amazed/hyped that she's gonna be in the game though. :)

And you're right, the chance of there being a Bayonetta 3 just increased quite a bit too! :yay:

She does look a bit weird in Smash. I get that they can't make her that tall for gameplay purposes, but still... On the other hand, it actually reflects her original concept art...

cho_001.jpg

... so that's pretty cool :)

Anyway, I'll gladly buy the hell out her Amiibo. I'd buy it even if it looked like like the toy from the map screen...

BS.jpg

And you know that you would too ;)

The best news from this direct is that they are done with the game and can now focus on Smash NX (whether that's with Sakurai or someone in charge).

They need Smash out within the first 18 months of NX's launch - it MUST be system seller. Get it out early and I'm sure it will make a difference.

I wouldn't be surprised if just re-release this version but have all the content on disc.

I think to call Corrin a sword user is a little misleading, yes she does have a sword, but it was clear that isn't what she really is, more she just happens to have one. Thought she looked great personally; but so many fire emblem characters is a bit much.

Happy with Bayonetta, sufficiently mental. Would've preferred Bomberman though.

I wouldn't be surprised if just re-release this version but have all the content on disc.

This is what i think, launch with a championship edition or whatever name they call it. Hope we can play with our smash game and DLC too with NX players. Chances of this happening?

This is what i think, launch with a championship edition or whatever name they call it. Hope we can play with our smash game and DLC too with NX players. Chances of this happening?

Given the stupid amount of DLC for the game, it could really do with a GOTY edition or whatever you want to call it.

I've just tallied up and to buy all the DLC stages and characters comes to just over £40. This is without any of the Mii outfits as well. Obviously there were small discounts if bundles were bought but it's still a hefty amount. If a game ever needed a season pass, this was it.

One video game, The Saboteur, came with a DLC code which removed the bras from burlesque dancers.

Glad that Corrin made it in. She's not really done anything since that one hit, but it was a pretty catchy song.

🎵Girl put your records on!🎵

Given the stupid amount of DLC for the game, it could really do with a GOTY edition or whatever you want to call it.

I've just tallied up and to buy all the DLC stages and characters comes to just over £40. This is without any of the Mii outfits as well. Obviously there were small discounts if bundles were bought but it's still a hefty amount. If a game ever needed a season pass, this was it.

I have quite a passionate dislike for all these 'Game of the Year' editions. How did that term ever become the norm..? ::shrug:

I get your point, though, and don't think it would be a bad idea to use it as a basis for the NX version. I'm not sure I'd buy it if it was just a release with all of the currently released DLC but if they called it something like 'Super Smash Bros Ultimate' and added a couple of new single player modes and events, I'd certainly be compelled to dip in again :smile:

To be honest, quite a few Wii U games would maybe benefit from rereleases on NX as a lot of people will have missed out on them. They might help to plug the inevitable software droughts :heh:

An 'ultimate edition' for the NX is the only way I'll ever get any of the DLC (past Mewtwo which I got for free). There's no way I'm paying more than a fiver for a character that I'm not even sure that I'll enjoy playing with, not that I play Smash that often anyway. It's just not worth it. Fair enough it's all been developed post release, but compared to Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors, it's extortionate.

She does look a bit weird in Smash.

She looks NORMAL in Smash! Her head was tiny in her original form, disturbingly so. Now it's all proportional.

Could not agree more with this, even if Corrin does seem to have more effort than the other FE characters.

Robin would like a word with you... Easily the most interesting FE character so far.

Time will tell whether Corrin can claim that crown.

Although, judging by the reception he's getting, most of you won't ever find out.

Against my better judgement I ended up buying Cloud this evening. It was a bit of a hassle actually getting him though. I bought him, downloaded him but he didn't show up on the character select screen. I then restarted the software but still he didn't show up. A quick google later and I found I had to attempt to play an online match, get a message about their being an update, restart the software and then the update would download. What a mess. :shakehead

I love using him. I've only had a bit play around with him on the Midgar stage and already I feel like I could easily switch between him and Link. Gutted there aren't more music tracks. Having just the two is a bit weak. :(

Looking forward to picking him up myself. Shame about the tracks - presumably they are all FF7 tracks. I was hoping for some FF6 tracks as well. (Stupidly...)

Against my better judgement I ended up buying Cloud this evening. It was a bit of a hassle actually getting him though. I bought him, downloaded him but he didn't show up on the character select screen. I then restarted the software but still he didn't show up. A quick google later and I found I had to attempt to play an online match, get a message about their being an update, restart the software and then the update would download. What a mess. :shakehead

Really? My WiiU just downloaded the update overnight.

I then got Cloud, waited about 30 seconds and got going.

Just like every other character I got (All of them, no regrets!)

Really? My WiiU just downloaded the update overnight.

I then got Cloud, waited about 30 seconds and got going.

Just like every other character I got (All of them, no regrets!)

I wasn't the only one having this issue. It was due to others asking on Reddit and Gamefaqs that allowed me to get it sorted.

I had the same thing happen with either Mario Kart or Hyrule Warriors DLC. Can't remember which one it was now. Either way, I had to force the update, rather than it updating itself.

Yeah, Wii U & 3DS DLC/updates can be super flaky. It's only ever worked properly for me once. Every other time I've had to close and reopen the software.

I'm sure the process will be a bit more streamlined with NX though.

I actually don't even bother using Sleep Mode anymore.