NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

Bit annoyed, Zavvi sent me through a 24hour 15% off code and it wouldn't do anything for this! I tried again on Saturday and the bastard then told me the code was expired >:( Determined to get it cheaper than cheap dammit! Can't believe this is actually hitting just next Friday, gonna stuggle holding off playing for a week!

I get to play Smash a lot on my morning and evening train journeys. I honestly think that most of the single player modes are very underwhelming, with the exception of one of my all-time favourite modes, the Home Run Contest.

Here's my current record with Old Manondorf:

I can explain the technical reasons as to why voice chat could hamper the Smash experience, since it doesn't use extrapolation in play, if you wish :p

I think saying you're not getting it because of that is a bit...much. Lack of it in no way impedes gameplay or makes the game worse.

If you don't mind, please do... but rather than just say why, please back your argument up with actual figures showing just how much of an effect voice chat has on a game. You see, I just don't see that it would have too much of a detrimental effect on the game.

Also, without being able to chat to my friends, multiplayer games just feel a little soulless. They're not worse per se, but they're not as fun!

I guess that's a no then Serebii? You can't actually show that's it has much of an effect, at least one that isn't negligible.

...I believe I posted it before, shall do some hunting, but from memory and it was based on that service that exists. It starts off negligible, but at 4 player, it builds up to a constant stream, and the processing for it could also impede the processing of the game. In most games, this would be negligible due to how games process online, with extrapolation etc. but with Fighting games which don't use that would then have their performance impacted. It'd be negligible for fast connections, but when you connect to someone far away or with a comparatively poor connection, it would impact things.

Will hunt those numbers for you...

Any chance you've found those numbers? Because I'm having doubts they exist.

It doesn't matter. Even if it were possible, would it have been included? It's a cultural thing. Nintendo don't do fully comprehensive online play for anything and it would be even harder to pull off with Smash Bros. I'd let it go.

I'll let you in on a secret regarding how he'll come by those numbers.

Listening to ign and theyre raving about it, almost perfect, except the board game is a bit naff... I'm glad I stopped playing the 3ds version as they mentioned something I was worried about - none of them initially felt excited as they'd played through it already, but that very quickly the game just showed how incredible it is... Can't wait. Need to organise a smash party!!!!

Edited by dazzybee

Listening to ign and theyre racing about it, almost perfect, except the board game is a bit naff... I. Glad I stopped playing the 3ds version as they mentioned something I was worried about - nine of them initially felt excited as they'd played through it already, but that very quickly the game just showed how incredible it is... Can't wait. Need to organise a smash party!!!!

Yeah, Jose fairly tore into the board game mode. :D

zlCfzSqfchs6qHjNWe

Pic of the day. You can play co-op in all the games in Stadium mode!! In Home-run Contest, you can either work together or compete by taking turns launching Sandbag.

zlCfzSqfcuk_cHYthp

The batting order gets determined randomly to make it fair for the poor person that has to go first. Target Blast and Home-run Contest are games that you play over and over again, but you might find unique ways to play when you only have one shot at victory.

Edited by Serebii

The 1.04 update is out now!

Quite a few character specific glitches have apparently been fixed, but still no word about any intentional stat changes, so the jury is still out on that front...

Edit: Whelp! Looks like stat changes have indeed been made. Supposedly Ness' down throw has been made weaker, amongst other changes.

For better or worse, the modern era has infected Smash :( I'm not happy about these post release changes being made, but what can I do about it?

I guess nothing is really sacred anymore :(

Edited by Dcubed

Awesome. It's always nice to see Nintendo embracing the good side of patches and DLC.

Awesome. It's always nice to see Nintendo embracing the good side of patches and DLC.

Depends if you think of it as a "good" side or not...

For me, this is tantamount to rewriting history. Imagine if we had this tech back in the day when Pokemon first came out in Japan and patches could've been installed remotely.

If that was the case, the game we know today as Pokemon Red/Green would not exist today. It would've been overwritten by what we know today as Pokemon Blue and that original version would've been lost to time forever...

Surely I am not the only one who would've been outraged by that!?

If that was the case, the game we know today as Pokemon Red/Green would not exist today. It would've been overwritten by what we know today as Pokemon Blue and that original version would've been lost to time forever...

Actually, it would be quite the opposite. When servers are dead, it will become difficult to get the patched version, while the original version would be easily obtainable.

Not to mention that patches can be refused and can be deleted at any time (but would affect the ability to play online).

Ness' down throw was buggy anyway in that on some characters it did no damage so I'm alright with that change. The only change I don't like is that now if you jump off the stage with Bowser's side B and both players are on their last stock it counts as a loss for Bowser. It might not seem too bad but now whenever Bowser grabs you, you can actually force him to go off the stage and make him lose so he gets punished for actually landing the grab that has 0 range.

Actually, it would be quite the opposite. When servers are dead, it will become difficult to get the patched version, while the original version would be easily obtainable.

Not to mention that patches can be refused and can be deleted at any time (but would affect the ability to play online).

True, but any re-release or re-print that they would do (and they will in the future at some point), would be using the latest version.

Likewise, people are archiving the update files (I am, to some extent, at least anyway), but only the latest one will allow for local multiplayer - at least without somehow hacking the game to allow earlier versions to play locally again.

It's the versions that are caught in the middle between the beginning and the end that will truly be the ones that suffer :(

I just wish that there was an easy way to revert and choose the version that you want to play...

I too would be outraged, because it would also probably mean that the perverted old man outside of the gym would be replaced by the lame "PC" version. :shakehead

So we would've never seen this:

:laughing:

As for this update to Smash, well I've not played it yet, but I'm willing to bet I won't even notice the difference.

I mean, as long as the characters all have the same moves (although they're free to remove Mario's FLUDD ;)) then I don't see the problem. ::shrug:

There seem to be a lot of people over at Neogaf obsessing over how certain characters moves do like 1% less damage than before or something, methinks that might be a bit extreme. :geek:

Anyway, got the update downloading in Sleep Mode at the moment, will check it out soon.

Do we know if this also fixes that glitch where some people got lifetime bans to the online mode?

Depends if you think of it as a "good" side or not...

For me, this is tantamount to rewriting history. Imagine if we had this tech back in the day when Pokemon first came out in Japan and patches could've been installed remotely.

I would be more pissed at losing Pokémon Blue: Green was even buggier, not much reason to play it, other than the different sprites!

Oh great... They nerfed Greninja... His Up smash takes longer to finish.

I knew I was going to hate this update... I'm so relieved that I pulled off the 9.0 run before he was hit by that.

On the plus side, it seems like Shulk does more damage all around.

I'm still bitter though.

I would be more pissed at losing Pokémon Blue: Green was even buggier, not much reason to play it, other than the different sprites!

But that's exactly why you should play it!

Or at least, watch the 4 minute speed run of it on Speed Demos Archive.

Edited by Glen-i
Automerged Doublepost

zlCfzSqqBXM0j4gN8q

Pic of the day. We've added Masterpieces in the Wii U version--this is where you can look back on what fighters did in the past!! You can actually play the games too.

zlCfzSqqBvgrgIPpLx

Some of the Masterpieces aren't unlocked at the beginning of the game. It's impressive that there are even games from the Game Boy. Some games have different starting points, while others come loaded with save data.

Some of the Masterpieces aren't unlocked at the beginning of the game. It's impressive that there are even games from the Game Boy. Some games have different starting points, while others come loaded with save data.

Which means that they have a GB/GBC Virtual Console emulator already up and running on Wii U... meaning that they could bring GB/GBC games to the Wii U VC any time they wanted to...

Which means that they have a GB/GBC Virtual Console emulator already up and running on Wii U... meaning that they could bring GB/GBC games to the Wii U VC any time they wanted to...

Makes sense though. Next handheld and console are absorbing Wii U architecture. If they want the VC to be cross gen and finally cross platform, as has been suggested, it's best for them to have the GB emulation working on the Wii U. The 3DS is useless now for creating it.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 8-Player Smash! (UK Ad)

I'm disappointed Nintendo have just gone with a copy and paste ad for all regions, I don't like this ad. They put more effort into the 3DS version of ads. Notice there's 2 girls in the video? They're also the first 2 K.O'd as well. Sh1t and sexist. Way to go Nintendo.

I'm disappointed Nintendo have just gone with a copy and paste ad for all regions, I don't like this ad. They put more effort into the 3DS version of ads. Notice there's 2 girls in the video? They're also the first 2 K.O'd as well. Sh1t and sexist. Way to go Nintendo.

Yeah but to be fair... #smashingnicelookingbirds

I don't think the truth's sexist, Wii.

(I'm kidding, that was a joke, and it was also highly sexist, sorry)

I saw that ad on the TV t'other day, I thought it was quite a good idea though - many people already know Smash but the 8 player thing might really appeal(I've always had more than 3 potential others to play with, so being able to go up to 8 is great...though someone's gonna be using wiimotes/propad/gamepad ;) )

The 8 player aspect is good. I just don't like corny Kinder style ads.

And do the new Gamecube controllers come with extra long cords? I used extensions on the old controllers but I just see long unbroken cords.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost