NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

I think you get Bowser Jr by completing classic mode with Bowser on a high intensity, above 6.0 at least? not sure about ROB, I just got him randomly while working my way through classic mode with every character. I always play on at least 6.0 intensity, higher if it's a character I'm better with.

I'm not sure about the other characters but pretty sure Bowser Jr is just random. I haven't done classic mode with Bowser, I was testing my new Mii character today on the normal Smash solo mode and he popped up at the end of that battle.

I'm not sure about the other characters but pretty sure Bowser Jr is just random. I haven't done classic mode with Bowser, I was testing my new Mii character today on the normal Smash solo mode and he popped up at the end of that battle.

I unlocked him by playing as Bowser on level 7 intensity. I was confused when I did this at first using level 6 as the character I faced at the end of completion turned out to be Dark Pit. But then I read somewhere that you get three unlockable characters for the first three times you play Classic. I played another round with Bowser, this time raising the intensity to 7 (most guides tell me it has to be 6) and was able to unlock him. I guess this confirms not having to beat Classic at a very specific level of intensity; just the level required or higher.

On aesthetics: any one else miss the announcer from Melee? I never liked the announcer's voice from Brawl, and I hate how the new games are like a slightly evolved form of Brawl in terms of design. Take the new design of Fox, for example. Back when Melee was out Fox was my main, and his subsequent redesign killed most of the charm for me. Even now his voice seems neutered compared to what it was in Melee (listen to him shout "Fire!" when performing Up-B to get what I'm talking about).

@arab_freak totally agree with you on the character front. Melee just felt so much more 'Nintendo'. Starfox was the one we knew and loved from 64, Mario had his super happy italian voice and no tacked-on FLUDD crap, and Melee's announcer was just heavenly. I never like the Brawl announcer and this one seems to be the same, or very similar.

Same as DK actually. With the DK rap in the background, his big grinning teeth and agility, he seemed a lot more like the actual Donkey Kong from Country and 64. Now he just feels like a generic ape with a tie.

I've had a few hours on this today, i feel i won't be putting it down for a long while. Managed to unlock Falco, Wario and Ness earlier. Trying to unlock Falco with the Villager was a little tricky, i was doing one of the challenges at the time. But none the less, i'll be trying online mode later see what that's like.

Yeah Ness doesn't sound his normal self! When pressing up on the dpad to activate his "OK!" And cheeky nod, :heh: he doesn't sound as assured / chirpy as he did in Melee. Small things. Same with his PK Fire.

Don't really have a problem with the announcers voice though.

They changed Sonic's "You're too slow!" taunt. :(

I miss Villager's Japanese name and Palutena's "Teleporto" from the Japanese version.

I miss Villager's Japanese name and Palutena's "Teleporto" from the Japanese version.

We have no sympathy on this one as you got the game early, so quit whining. :heh:

So much potential fun ruined by unpredictable netcode. When it works it's great, when it doesn't it's like fighting against an extra opponent. Pray for improved Wii U online.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Some games work fine for some, while others don't.

As for who was getting lag, I swear all of you crackers sound the same! :D should have known it wasn't you as I didn't have a screeching coming down the headset. You really need to find the other one! :)

Racist! :)

I need to find that headset, are they pretty good, or is it worth buying a proper one?

Really loving this game at the moment, trying to get through classic and all-stars with all characters, but it's gonna take a while :P.

Only thing is that I'm missing people to play with. I see there are alot of active players here, so where would be the best place to share my request for challengers? Is there a thread somewhere that is active?

I've unlocked all the characters. a nice roster. Am liking the alternate "costumes" for Bowser Jr! The stages are alright, but none stand out as fantastic to me, and it feels like there should be more. The game is a not better than I expected though and shall give me my Smash fix until the WiiU version is released!

Edited by somme

Yeah, why are we not organising matches in here? Does being able to join friends from home screen only work if they're in friends games? Or can you do it if they're playing anyone?

Seeing so much talk about unlocking characters - what happened to the spoiler thread?! Can't read this one like this!

Nah, same here. I think I know all the characters now, and the last ones were surprises for me. Please keep on using spoiler tags for future discussions about unlockables. At least for a little while longer!

After complaining earlier, went and had an awesome lag-free few hours on this earlier in With Friends. The fact it's so awesome when it works makes every laggy match so much more infuriating.

zlCfzSg_7pMGuB5KP2

Pic of the day. Conquest mode is now open to overseas players. This is when things finally get serious. We've increased the frequency for updates, too. The Global Smash Power rankings will get interesting with more players involved. Connect online, and keep updating your status. This screenshot is the result from the last Conquest challenge. (image is from the Japanese version)

Edited by Serebii

I played this for 2 hours straight last night...

...in the Sound Test. :heh:

What a fantastic selection of music. :bowdown: Started to really notice the compression after a while though, which is a shame but completely understandable given how much content there is.

Still, I'm looking forward to listening to the music on the Wii U ver. (which should be much higher quality) and to those soundtrack CDs from Club Nintendo. :)

I played this for 2 hours straight last night...

...in the Sound Test. :heh:

What a fantastic selection of music. :bowdown:Started to really notice the compression after a while though, which is a shame but completely understandable given how much content there is.

Still, I'm looking forward to listening to the music on the Wii U ver. (which should be much higher quality) and to those soundtrack CDs from Club Nintendo. :)

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who noticed. I was playing it with the 3DS hooked up to my surround system and there is like no bass to anything!

Everything sounds very tinny. The compression reminds me of the sound quality you got in Melee, but with less bass and higher highs and less fuzziness to everything :heh:

It's not like you cant get good sound quality out of the 3DS either, some games sound really great! (like Kid Icarus Uprising and A Link Between Worlds). Shame that they didn't spend a bit extra on a larger Game Card for higher quality audio, but I suppose that they're heavily memory constrained as it is, so that would probably be impractical to actually have running in-game anyway...

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who noticed. I was playing it with the 3DS hooked up to my surround system and there is like no bass to anything!

Everything sounds very tinny. The compression reminds me of the sound quality you got in Melee, but with less bass and higher highs and less fuzziness to everything :heh:

Yep, and any attempt to beef-up the bass a bit just ends with distortion. :shakehead

It's not like you cant get good sound quality out of the 3DS either, some games sound really great! (like Kid Icarus Uprising and A Link Between Worlds). Shame that they didn't spend a bit extra on a larger Game Card for higher quality audio, but I suppose that they're heavily memory constrained as it is, so that would probably be impractical to actually have running in-game anyway...
Yeah. It probably doesn't help that I'd been spending a lot of time with KORG DSN-12 recently too, which is phenomenal. :awesome:

Shame that they didn't spend a bit extra on a larger Game Card for higher quality audio, but I suppose that they're heavily memory constrained as it is, so that would probably be impractical to actually have running in-game anyway...

Yeah, playing a slightly less compressed, higher quality music file while fighting would probably strain the already-taxed CPU. I don't pay much attention to the quality of the music when I'm playing anyway since there's already a bunch of other sound effects/voices/grunts during the battles. Maybe this could have been a feature exclusive to the New 3DS models coming out.

But either way, I still don't see a reason why there shouldn't be a separate batch of high-quality audio files made for the sound test (I know it won't fit on the game cart. SD Card master race :awesome:).

This has become my new "play on the way to work" game at the moment. Must have put in about 4-5 hours since Friday and over the weekend. Havn't unlocked anyone new apart from the ones i've already listed, but have unlocked a new stage and various trophies. And completed a few challenges whilst i was at it, think i've done about 20 or so.

With the compressed sounds, i can see Nintendo releasing the soundtrack digitally at some point.

Weird that Lucina is an unlockable character. All the other announced characters are available right from the start...

Well, except Mii Fighters, but they don't count as unlockables ;)

Just had some online matches with @\-Dem0\- and @Josh64, did any of you guys have any custom characters set up? Demo landed tons of sweet knees with the Captain :D

Just had some online matches with @\-Dem0\- and @Josh64, did any of you guys have any custom characters set up? Demo landed tons of sweet knees with the Captain :D

I really do love a good ol' Knee. Down Throw->Knee...oh yeh :heart: