NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

Ehhh, really not feeling the 'SETTLE IT IN SMASH!' - maybe if it was even just a bit more lightly played it could work, but really I think those Japanese adverts were excellent, hoped to actually just see more of that for us in the west. Give's a subtle 'will blow you away' sort of vibe(even though it's obvs related to the way you die, but if you don't know that then...well, you don't know that :p)

I think they are alright. They show off what the game is and what it does in a humorous way. I really like the "TORNADO!"-outburst and the DK-impression on the bus.

zlCfzSeXgWUhGA07O5

Pic of the day. PAC-MAN makes an appearance on the PictoChat 2 stage. We've included this as an element from Pac-Pix, which was released in 2005. It was quite revolutionary.

zlCfzSeXgcw9VUO3WQ

There are a lot of new elements in the PictoChat 2 stage. In this screenshot, it looks like there is depth to the stage…or like there isn't. The illusory nature of the drawing is meant to challenge your perspective.

Woah! Even Pac Pix gets a reference!? That's awesome! :D

Love that game! It's so underrated!

Probably should have brought this up earlier but this is a thing on Sunday that I'm thinking of going to - may be of interest to any London or other EGX folks(it's come up in the thread for that in GG) - Murr and Dcubed may be in attendance. I, Marcamillian and whoever else decides to come in my car likely to be there.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xRg5TdoNiHmXQbU2qRYIuaYKgOUkOlA3H4e5NV2iM9c/edit

Smash Bros. Online Is Pretty Strict

yew8ivrfncyowoamkihm.jpg

Here's the big warning screen you'll see if you flip through the Online portion of the manual for Super Smash Bros. 3DS, which comes out next Friday in the United States (and is out already in Japan).

It's... strict. As you can see, you'll be penalized on the Nintendo Network for disconnecting from games, idling, etc. You'll be able to report or block other players for similar "bad behavior," the manual says... but if you report too much, you'll be suspended, too. Sakurai's got an IRON FIST.

http://kotaku.com/smash-bros-online-is-pretty-strict-1638749492

I wonder if the last part also applies to 1on1-matches... :)

Edited by MindFreak

That "attacking one person excessively" rule has to be one of the most ludicrous things I've ever seen. :blank:

It might as well say don't play the game. :heh:

Imagine if MK8 had penalties like "don't drive too fast", or "don't use too many items". :laughing:

zlCfzSejVEg5tMK8Ud

Pic of the day. We've prepared many hats for Mii Fighters...but a lot of them are humorously designed, so it might be hard to coordinate them with flair. You could, of course, choose to not wear the hats at all... It makes me wonder--how is everyone planning to dress up their Mii Fighters? Well, one thing is for sure: the ninja headband worn by the Mii in front should look good with anything.

I'm sure it'll be fine, you can't focus 100% on 1 person in a 4 way battle cause the other players will get in your way and you'll have to deal with them.

Byb_jzcCUAEsE93.jpg:orig

BycQdocCYAAlsL1.jpg:orig

Pic of the day. Here's a stage exclusive to the Wii U version: Gamer. Don't let Mom find you while you're duking it out!!

zlCfzSeucN4V4xSoxU

If Mom does spot you, she'll scold you and blow you away!! ...I've never seen a fighting action game as chaotic as this one.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

Awesome! :D Great to see more stuff from their more recent games! And also great to see more crazy stages rather than the flatter ones like Smashville and Battlefield :)

I wonder if we'll get a NintendoLand stage as well...

Edited by Dcubed

Wow, where is this stage from? Rhythm Tengoku/Heaven?

It's from Game & Wario.

My God! The amount of reviews ragging on Smash 3DS for not being the Wii U game is pissing me right off! :mad:

I'd hope that they'd just be able to rate it on its own terms, on its own merits as a standalone game, but of course impartiality is too much to ask these days...

You've even got some reviewers referring to it as "The 3DS port"! Morons don't even realise that it's a completely different game from the Wii U one :shakehead

It does seem like it falls into two camps through, the negative reviews complain about the circle stick and crowded action on the 3DS screen and the positive are just happy to have smash on a portable.

The Eurogamer one said they thought that at the end of the day smash was just a mediocre fighting game.

That hurt a bit, because I generally agree with their reviews, but it has been EDGE's position for a long time.....

(Definitely not completely different though). It is essentially the same game brah.

Completely different stages and modes.

All they share is the same character roster, items and base physics engine.

It does seem like it falls into two camps through, the negative reviews complain about the circle stick and crowded action on the 3DS screen and the positive are just happy to have smash on a portable.

The Eurogamer one said they thought that at the end of the day smash was just a mediocre fighting game.

That hurt a bit, because I generally agree with their reviews, but it has been EDGE's position for a long time.....

The demo alone is enough to tell you what to expect from how it controls and feels, you don't need anyone else to tell you otherwise. If you think they're talking bollocks (which I do), then they're talking bollocks.

Edited by Dcubed

Yes, I don't agree with the point about the mediocre fighting game. I do a bit about the controls (hand cramps) and the chaotic action occasionally on the small screen.

Still getting it of course, just used to the mixed reviews now.

Yes, I don't agree with the point about the mediocre fighting game. I do a bit about the controls (hand cramps) and the chaotic action occasionally on the small screen.

Still getting it of course, just used to the mixed reviews now.

The reviewer comes across as a guy who has never played a Smash game before and is walking in, expecting it to play like Street Fighter...

He's got no clue.

I don't think one can compare smash bros to a SF, KOF, Soul Calibur etc.

I am a big fighting game fan but I don't really class Smash Bros in the same genre as those games.

Anyone expecting Smash Bros to be like those needs a reality check.

The reviewer comes across as a guy who has never played a Smash game before and is walking in, expecting it to play like Street Fighter...

He's got no clue.

I had the same thought.

People in the comments think it's the same game as the Wii U one too, and think it should be free with the Wii U one a la Crossbuy, or be £10 only.

A couple of reviews are acting like this is a hollowed out version of the Wii U one.

I even saw one review complaining that you had to unlock characters...