NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

Why? There are many other characters that deserve to be in the game unlike Sonic, 1st party and 3rd party wise.

Not sure if sarcasm...

Sonic needs to stay.

I'm going to second kk, but possibly in a more literal sense, why does sonic need to stay? Like...actually?

Because he's a classic character, is as well recognised as Mario, his moves were great in Brawl, they both get along in the Olympic games so it would be nice to see them both stay in a proper game.

He just feels like he belongs.

yeah sonic needs to stay..

as you said he is a classic character like mario, and i think megaman really should make an appearance also,

characters like jigglypuf and game&watch they can remove and replace with some other cool nintendo characters like the one from golden sun, and i hope they put someone from final fantasy in it, when final fantasy 7 came out with cloud i always wanted him to fight against link, (but that will never happen)

I never liked removing characters that have their own unique movesets. They should all be safe from getting removed, even if they're ignored from the story mode and the unlock thing is play 1,000 matches or something.

I'd rather the game returns to being 'Nintendo only' characters; perhaps addition of DLC characters to celebrate forthcoming releases but, no a return to straight N-mascots for me.

I guess they're fair points, though tbh I felt Sonic really was one of, if not the, weakest characters in Brawl; hence I would not mind his removal at all.

I know I joked earlier, but they really should try taking the Smash Bros formula and using it in another game. I heard TMNTSmashUp/whatever it was did a poor job of ripping it off, but I was quite suprised that more games haven't already. Just imagine, a proper new Smash Bros game; but then also have the same formula for like...a whole bunch of 3rd party characters! Drop the Bros cos that's mario territory, keep the Smash, and open up the game to offers from other companies; I bet they'd all be jumping to get their characters in it!

I guess they're fair points, though tbh I felt Sonic really was one of, if not the, weakest characters in Brawl; hence I would not mind his removal at all.

I think Sonic was really a combo character, but that mixed with his speed made it hard for me to control him.

A good Sonic player would be like: swoosh -> hit, smack, hit -> swoosh -> smack down -> etc. . .

Sonic did also steal Captain Falcon's spotlight in being the fastest character :o

I think Sonic was really a combo character, but that mixed with his speed made it hard for me to control him.

A good Sonic player would be like: swoosh -> hit, smack, hit -> swoosh -> smack down -> etc. . .

Sonic did also steal Captain Falcon's spotlight in being the fastest character :o

Yeah, had to feel a bit bad for ol' Cap, especially with his somewhat nerfed punch too! Myself and most of my smash brothers generally felt the same about Sonic, too fast to control and too weak to do much unless you could smash people at, compartively, rather high damage. Tbh, there's some fairly bum characters about(arguably, I know) but I think even then sonic was our most...useless? He has benefits in places, and is ok if you like an item game(a bit like my self), but I just felt I could do more with any other character than him.

Sonic was great fun to use, one of the few characters that doesn't feel floaty or anchored all the time. Captain Falcon was worse to control than him, actually, his movement was what was nerfed.

Not to mention, almost everything Sonic does was taken from his games, so they got that part right.

I'm indifferent towards Sonic. The character design, the moves and the Sonic based stage were all well done. It's slightly jarring thought when you're playing in a game with Sonic there or in his level, part of you remembers the Megadrive days of yesterday, the competitive nature between Nintendo and SEGA. It still doesn't entirely feel right to me seeing Sonic on a Nintendo platform, let alone in Smash Bros.

On the plus side, like I mentioned, they implemented him very well into the game. ALL of the characters should have that same treatment. I'd rather see the game become more streamlined with every character and stage counting. There were just a few characters that seemed to be there for "fan service" rather than actually being useful. Only a few, mind.

The Metroid stages were fantastic, though. :)

In a item game Sonic could rack up a good few kills with his final smash, and he can get it pretty easily too since he can jump so high and get to places really quickly.

People play Smash Bros. with the items turned off???

Next you'll say that they'll avoid all the interesting levels. And the majority of what makes the game fun to play.

Next you'll say that they'll avoid all the interesting levels. And the majority of what makes the game fun to play.

On a competitive level that's pretty much a given, but when I play with friends and we do 1 vs 1 we usually turn them off because it can favour one player extremely.

It is fun to turn off certain items because of their over-poweredness and have fun with, say, the Bumpers or the Smoke Balls or the Gooey Bomb :laughing:

Ah, how I love Smash Brothers.

When are we going to get some cockteases from Sakuria in the Dojo, ...WHEN?!?!?!?!?

Sakurai's in a tough spot if he has the final word on characters that should be included. I feel that loads of new characters with their own universes from different developers could definitely be included.

For example:

Megaman

Amaterasu

Layton

Zack&Wiki

Simon Belmont/Alucard

With the exception of the Okami and Zack&Wiki universe, which isn't that big a franchise in terms of games, the other 3 definitely have a legacy and their pasts are intertwined with NINTENDO's.

In any case, there aren't many main characters from NINTENDO franchises that haven't been used yet, I believe.

Edited by Fused King

I think Nintendo mopped up the last few franchises with assist trophies. There may be one or two which have only appeared as normal trophies or something (like Mach Rider).

I think Nintendo mopped up the last few franchises with assist trophies. There may be one or two which have only appeared as normal trophies or something (like Mach Rider).

Yeah, Assist Trophies are cool, but to do it to Isaac or Waluigi.

Utter Poppycock, I say!

Edited by Fused King

Because he's a classic character, is as well recognised as Mario, his moves were great in Brawl, they both get along in the Olympic games so it would be nice to see them both stay in a proper game.

He just feels like he belongs.

The Olympic games to my recollection aren't that great and should probably have never been made. Also, Sonic is all nostalgia and non-geeks have no clue who he is, mainly because of the low quality of most Sonic games released in the last... let's say 10 years.

We turn off smash balls sometimes, and a couple of the others that feel a bit overpowered like the firecracker. Also turn a couple stages off of random. I couldn't stand to play smash with NO items though. Well, I could, but it wouldn't be as fun for me.

Also, Sonic is all nostalgia and non-geeks have no clue who he is, mainly because of the low quality of most Sonic games released in the last... let's say 10 years.

Sonic (and the games) is still very popular outside of geeks.

The Olympic games to my recollection aren't that great and should probably have never been made. Also, Sonic is all nostalgia and non-geeks have no clue who he is, mainly because of the low quality of most Sonic games released in the last... let's say 10 years.

You're pretty much wrong on all 3 accounts.

How do you guys feel the tablet could potentially innovate the game? My only idea is maybe for asynchronous gameplay (if that's the word) where whoever is in control of the tablet can manipulate the stage or introduce new items into play.

Include levels based on tetris and Pokemon Pinbal and let the gamepad holder play through those games while the other four fight (hit a player with an l-block or pinball to cause damage for example).

Or (more likely)

Melee had an option for one player to control the camera, SSB Wii U could take this one step further and give one player control of making items appear or manipulating the stages.