NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

Depends on how they're setup as there's quite a lot that can be customised.

Mine is set to run until the 8th of august and you can play upto 100 matches in it. I'm online right now if you or anyone else is up for some games. :)

So if I went online now, who would I be playing against? I thought there'd be like FA Cups but with everyone having to be online at the same time.

So if I went online now, who would I be playing against?
Probably nobody. :heh:

About 10 people have joined my tourney, but yeah, someone needs to be online and searching for a match in order for anyone else to play.

Not exactly the best system, however...

I thought there'd be like FA Cups but with everyone having to be online at the same time.
For that you'd need to join one of the regular Tourneys. A new set (with various rules) opens up every 5 minutes, and everyone plays their matches at the same time. :)

The spectating aspect could be better, but at least it's possible to watch replays of the other games, if you choose to stick around after getting knocked out.

Can you post on miiverse and it take you directly to that tournament?

The big flaw with the tournaments is what are the chances of people being on at the same time? Most tournaments will be completely pointless. I'm in one now, waiting, no one there, and I can't even back out. Infuriating.

I will say that the knockout tournaments seem great though, always busy. And exactly what I want tournaments to be. Can these be user created? Basically can we organise an n Europe kncoout tournament?

And there is a specific promote tournament button, but it doesn't link to the tournament, so what's the point? I don't get it. Is it as weirdly shit as it seems? So you promote tournament, but no one has no way whatsoever to actually go to your tournament.... So bizarre.....

I tried this with the GameCube-controller yesterday - a friend of mine got hold of the adapter while on vacation in Germany! - and it made such a difference. I mean, I'm not bad with the Pro Controller but this.. this was just so natural and different and well-known. I need the adapter in my life. :(

Rumours going around of Layton's voice actor saying he recorded some sessions for Smash.

I'd be ok with this, but if they were doing Level 5 characters, I'd have expected Jibanyan

Rumours going around of Layton's voice actor saying he recorded some sessions for Smash.

I'd be ok with this, but if they were doing Level 5 characters, I'd have expected Jibanyan

Had to do a search for Jibanyan so that's probably why that character wouldn't be included :heh: - the first Yokai Watch game isn't even out yet over here yet is it? - so I can understand why they'd go with Professor Layton as he's instantly recognisable. : peace:

I'd be surprised to even see Layton in smash though quite honestly, many other characters I would have chosen before him, I understand his popularity but still he's still very recent in terms of the history of videogames.

Yep, me too. No idea who the hell Jibanyan was.

Goes to show really. Pretty sure the majority of Ninty users would say Prof. Layton was the first Level 5 character they can think of.

If he's like Wii Fit Trainer and constantly gives you pointers of how to be a true Gentleman, than that's more than enough reason to go for it.

Also obligatory "Puzzle solved" Final Smash.

But I'm not gonna get too excited for this until something more concrete shows up.

He could just be having some fun with the guy on Twitter (since he originally denied it), but I'd love to see Layton in Smash!

His final Smash would be a series of sliding block puzzles that other players have to solve in 5 seconds to reduce the amount of damage they take!

I'd be surprised to even see Layton in smash though quite honestly, many other characters I would have chosen before him, I understand his popularity but still he's still very recent in terms of the history of videogames.

Tell that to Shulk...

He could just be having some fun with the guy on Twitter (since he originally denied it), but I'd love to see Layton in Smash!

His final Smash would be a series of sliding block puzzles that other players have to solve in 5 seconds to reduce the amount of damage they take!

So basically the most overpowered Final Smash in the history of all Final Smashes?

Ain't nobody solving those nightmares in 5 seconds!

Edited by Glen-i
Automerged Doublepost

Don't get me wrong, Layton would still be good for smash but so many other older Nintendo characters could have been included, then again I suppose a lot of people who have only recently started playing games then possibly wouldn't recognise a really obscure Nintendo character yet Layton would be an easy sell.

I don't mind Shulk being in Smash because Xenoblade Chronicles is one of those anomalies, a really popular JRPG which has a load of likeable characters perhaps for all the wrong reasons, but they have charm.

Layton has charm as well of course, it's probably just due to the fact that I've never properly played a single game in the series... not even one... even when I got one for free... I don't know, something about the frequency of how the games were released I just didn't like and as a result never invested any time or money in them. :blank:

I feel the same about Yokai Watch, I don't dislike Level 5, in fact they are an amazing studio but I always feel that they could be doing a lot more with some classic Nintendo franchises... if only they were allowed to! I'd love to see them bring an old IP back to live with their unique visual style, but perhaps it's just something that will never happen. :heh:

Anyway, more characters for Smash, always a good thing! : peace:

Level 5 will have run Yo-kai Watch into the ground before it hits its stride here (like they did with Layton, Inazuma Eleven etc.) so Jibanyan, while it'd be a hit in Japan right now, may not be the best option.

But I can see it in Japan. Yo-kai Watch has sold a total of 8 million games in Japan so far since 2013. That's an incredible amount. Jibanyan is almost Pikachu levels of recognised there

Rumor time. New challenger approaching.

Rumours regarding Shovel Knight's inclusion in the Super Smash Bros. roster have been doing the rounds for quite some time, but we've managed to unearth some fresh evidence which suggests that Yacht Club Games' famous character is indeed about to take a bow in Nintendo's famous fighter.

We've been in touch with multiple sources within the video game retail sector - which we sadly can't name as it could lead to their dismissal - who claim that Shovel Knight is indeed about to make to his Smash Bros. début, and there will be an amiibo figure to accompany this grand event.

If you cast your mind back a little, you'll recall that Nintendo recently held a ballot to decide which characters the public would like to see added to the game, and admitted that even non-Nintendo characters could be in the running. In our own poll, Shovel Knight came second.

You might have seen rumours posted recent regarding a Shovel Knight amiibo on a Spanish retailer's site, and while the mocked-up image of the figure has led some to assume it's fake, the fresh info we've been handed would suggest that it's actually very, very real.

Yacht Club itself has been teasing a "megaton" reveal on its site this week, as well as promoting the upcoming Plague of Shadows DLC. A press release regarding the DLC seems to hint at "exclusive" content coming to Nintendo systems:

We've heard the cries of bringing more exclusive content to Nintendo platforms. It might not be quite what you expect… but keep an eye out for another MEGATON announcement soon!

The expansion will be shown off at the forthcoming PAX event, and it is understood that Nintendo has booked Wii U kiosks with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U installed on them. Could the two companies be using PAX as a platform to announce Shovel Knight's addition to the cast of Smash Bros.? We're speculating a little here, but the stars do seem to be aligning quite nicely.

Meh, I don't approve of this. We don't need any more third party characters and Shovel Knight is far from iconic enough to fit the bill.

Meh, I don't approve of this. We don't need any more third party characters and Shovel Knight is far from iconic enough to fit the bill.

I agree. It's not even like he has specific connections to Nintendo.

As cool as it would be, I can't see it happening. He's nowhere near high profile enough to appear in Smash. Maybe as a trophy (like Commander Video), but that's it.

Not to mention that Shovel Knight has yet to see release in Japan either.

I agree. It's not even like he has specific connections to Nintendo.

Well he did debut on Nintendo platforms, much like Mega Man did...

Only third party character I'd accept now is Bomberman

Yup! He is by far THE 3rd party character most deserving of a place in Smash! (and he got my vote in the Smash Ballot ;) )

Edited by Dcubed

I'd take Shovel Knight over Bomberman any day of the week. Who cares about a character revolving around explosives when there are about 10 items that will no doubt do a better job anyway?

giphy.gif

Well he did debut on Nintendo platforms, much like Mega Man did...

The Steam version came out the same day, so not really... ?

Mega Man has a much deeper history on Nintendo consoles as well (plus Capcom helped with development so he gets a pass).

A trophy or support would be fine, but I don't think he deserves to get a character slot.

Only third party character I'd accept now is Bomberman

What about this guy?

latest?cb=20121226200328

Even his latest incarnation was exclusive to Nintendo for a brief spell.

Only if it's that version.

In which case, they better give us a skin for Mega Man and Pit to match.

Mega Man has a much deeper history on Nintendo consoles as well (plus Capcom helped with development so he gets a pass).

That was Namco, not Capcom.

I don't even know who Shovel Knight is.

That was Namco, not Capcom.

I don't even know who Shovel Knight is.

You know Namco helped Sora with this version of Smash but you 'don't even know who Shovel Knight is'? Oh dear. :nono:

They should get Toki Tori and/ or Scrooge McDuck added in when they are at it.