NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

Finished a match on the Miiverse stage with Charizard's Final Smash, so why not:

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

Got some practice drawing Alain, too. :)

Sakurai did :heh: I have no input whatsoever regarding economies of scale, but I do know that Sakurai said development on additional characters would start after the game was released. And the claim is rather plausible.

Feel free to dispute the price, but this quote reads more like a conspiracy theory. Nintendo ain't Capcom (who has a history of including finished characters on-disc as DLC).

Ah, my comment was mainly in the context of the concept of economies of scale - but part of it still does apply. Whilst the bulk and meat of the work for 'development' may have started post release - does that count as the start of it? It was planned before surely(like...they knew they were gonna do it after release, it wasn't a brand new fresh concept that struck them then) - so where does it count as 'starting'? On the EoS front, it's relevant, but I wasn't meaning to suggest they were fully working on it before and just spinning this to suggest otherwise. I do however maintain that aspects of it such as planning and possible design may have started beforehand.

Glad to see Roy return. He was my favourite in Melee. The pricing is OUCH! Not buying this. €30+ for both bundles, with a lot of dross filler like the Mii Fighters costumes. I haven't enjoyed this version as much as the others. Maybe I have Smash fatigue.

Ryu has no place in Smash Bros. I love Street Fighter but Capcom can go hang themselves from a tree as far as I'm concerned when it comes to the Wii U. Who paid who for this to happen? Who does it benefit? Been over this before but we haven't had a main series SF since the SNES. That said it looks like they've done a great job in incorporating him into the game.

There needs to be a season pass and a much better price for me to bite.

Are people still playing the 3DS version of this?

Or is everyone just exclusively playing Wii U?

I loved the demo for 3DS but dunno how I'd feel about it over the Wii U.

I unlocked everything in the 3DS version ages ago, but I still play it more than the Wii U version because I smash with friends at the local Pokémon League twice a week.

(And also because most of my Wii U playtime is occupied by Splatoon these days.)

I do. I still maintain that Smash 3DS is a better game than Smash WiiU.

Better stages, the ridiculously fun Smash Run just elevate it higher.

Only issue is no-one here plays it online, (The nutters) so unless you've got friends who also have it, it's gonna be a bit lonely.

EDIT: That said, the Miiverse stage is a great laugh. I kinda went a bit nuts with making "support" posts.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

Edited by Glen-i

Just saw the price of the new characters and stages. It's just too much for me to pay as a casual player of SSB. Some sort of season pass offering a chunky discount would have been handy.

Only took them 6 months eh!

Did notice it back in on some retailers recently from all the notifications I setup, so it's nice to see them still attempting to address it. Just a shame on the delay and prevalence of the third party ones that probably sucked up the market.

And if you need another reason other than Smash Bros to get this. It works very well with Dolphin and Nintendont.

The official one? How much work does it take to get it working, if any?

It's easy to setup with Dolphin if you're on a Windows machine and even supports rumble. https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=How_to_use_the_Official_GameCube_Controller_Adapter_for_Wii_U_in_Dolphin

Nintendont supports it with no configuration, also has rumble support.

Ahh cool. I was mostly just after the info - I've got a 3rd party one with a PC switch and mostly I use linux mostly atm. I do do my ever limited PC gaming on my actual windows machine but even then I'll tend to just use a 360 pad - it's good to know I have the possiblity of a GC pad though.

I thought this day would never come! Anyone buying two for eight player matches? Don't think I'd ever have eight people gathered to play Smash, or enough controllers...

I thought this day would never come! Anyone buying two for eight player matches? Don't think I'd ever have eight people gathered to play Smash, or enough controllers...

I was always tempted to get a second one for potential 8 mans - specifically held off getting another 3rd party one so I might get an official one when they came back round. Just something about having the 'official' one kinda hums with me.

Details from Sakurai’s new Famitsu column, only “several more” Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS DLC characters planned

Masahiro Sakurai once again published a new column in the latest issue of Famitsu. In his piece, Sakurai writes about the new downloadable content that came to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS.

Details from the column can be found below. If you’d like a full translation, head on over to Source Gaming.

– Sakurai mentions that the 3DS “isn’t suited for successive downloads, and there are people who don’t have Wi-Fi in their homes and go to convenience stores to connect, so we made sure to put a lot of forethought into the process.”

– He’s amazed that Ryu is in Smash, and was excited to work on him

– Sakurai put a bunch of effort into the small details

– When putting Ryu in Smash, there are limits based on the number of buttons and the control scheme

– Composer Yoko Shimomura and illustrator AKIMAN each played a little bit of Ryu in Smash

– Shimomura exclaimed “Even I can do a Shoryuken!”

– AKIMAN was shocked, saying “are you sure it’s okay to make performing a Shoryuken so easy?”

– The thing that left an impression on Sakurai when making Roy was recording his lines

– Same actor from Melee (Fukuyama) was used

– Fukuyama remembered details from the recording session for Melee extremely well like the names for characters, and even the other actors

– Sakurai was happy about this since he’s an actor who’s done a ton of projects since Melee

– Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were made before the ballot was created

– Sakurai “had a grasp on their popularity and demand, though”

“From now until the end, it is going to be fan service”

– Since Sakurai can’t keep the team together forever, there will only be several more characters

– Sakurai asks for fans’ patience in making more content

http://nintendoeverything.com/details-from-sakurais-new-famitsu-column-only-several-more-smash-bros-wii-u3ds-dlc-characters-planned/

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/06/25/ryu-roy-and-lucas-join-the-battle-sakurai-famitsu-column-vol-481/

"Fan service" from now on? Dead or Alive and Senran Kagura characters here we come! :heh:

"Only several characters" is a very odd phrase, as the first two words seem mutually exclusive.

Those that have checked out the meet up thread recently might have seen me mention a new custom stage that I made, well here it is:

Yep, it's based on that wonderfully bizarre/slightly creepy thingamajig from Mario Paint (and WarioWare: D.I.Y.), Baby Face. MPface.gif

As I mentioned in the other thread though, the stage is somewhat broken. :heh: It's pretty much impossible to play using Stock rules, as all players initially spawn inside the face and getting out isn't easy... even at 999%! ;)

But that's where the fun comes in. Because if you play with the rules set to Time, you'll always end up in sudden death, and unlike normal sudden death (which usually lasts just a few seconds) in there it can go on for ages. So once the Bob-ombs start appearing, you're guaranteed even more carnage! :awesome:

Here's a GIF of the last 15 seconds from a battle inside the Baby Face with @Sprout. I wasn't recovering at the end there to make it easier for him to KO me (like he needs help for that :p) we might have been playing for hours otherwise! :laughing: Oh, and this was after almost 3 minutes of Bob-omb filled sudden death mayhem:

I've really been getting into Smash again since the latest DLC, so much fun! :)

: peace:

Bonus GIF of a Gust Bellows only match, where Sonic (@Phube) gets caught in the crosswind! :D:

The High Price of Smash Bros. Ryu, Roy, Lucas DLC Bundle

I haven't bought any of the DLC. To me it's too expensive. I'll wait until they're done with it all because there will be at least one more bundle added. And I'd like to see a season pass that's reasonably priced. There's just too much fluff in there as part of the bundles adding to the price that I couldn't care less about, e.g. the various Mii Fighter costumes.

Does anybody else follow the competitive scene for this game? There was a big tournament at the weekend, it's good fun to watch. I had it on one screen while I played Wooly World in the other.

Smash Bros. Wii U version 1.0.9 is now available.

Information:

As of July 2, 2015, new update data for the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U game has been made available for download in the Nintendo eShop. Users will be required to download this update prior to using the software's online multiplayer features. Because of this, we strongly recommend that all Super Smash Bros. for Wii U players download and install this update data.

Update Details:

This update also includes the previous game updates.

Ver. 1.0.9 [Released 07/02/15]

• Adjustments have been made for a more pleasant gaming experience.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13305/~/how-to-update-super-smash-bros.-for-wii-u

Edited by Wii

Does anybody else follow the competitive scene for this game? There was a big tournament at the weekend, it's good fun to watch. I had it on one screen while I played Wooly World in the other.

I very minorly do for Melee/PM and I went to Meltdown for the first time in forever on monday where I promptly got thrashed at Sm4sh - what was the tournament on the weekend? My mate tends to follow stuff a lot more than me, but I don't think he's mentioned any Smash4 stuff.

Big FGC tournament in Florida called CEO. Dunno if you know the big names, but Leffen caused a big upset and took the Melee tournament while Zero (who's practically unbeaten since winning the invitational at E3 last year) won Smash4 despite the Diddy nerfs.

Watch the finals of the tournament here: https://www.youtube.com/user/VideoGameBootCamp

Big FGC tournament in Florida called CEO. Dunno if you know the big names, but Leffen caused a big upset and took the Melee tournament while Zero (who's practically unbeaten since winning the invitational at E3 last year) won Smash4 despite the Diddy nerfs.

Watch the finals of the tournament here: https://www.youtube.com/user/VideoGameBootCamp

Ahh excellent. Yeah Leffen got brought to my attention a few months back, and watching/seeing some competitive Sm4sh is something I think I wanna get into having seen some of the stuff at Meltdown.

God, Leffen is bloody great. He's the Kanye West of Smash..such a panto villian.

Zero needs to be dethroned though; he's FAR too good. Great to see so much variety in character usage.