NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

Ryu seems tough to master. Sakurai was right when he said he's all about combos - he's not a 'brute force' fighter as you might presume on first sight. Rubbish in the air too.

Amazing effort with Ryu, the attention to detail is stunning. Great addition.

I'm surprised somebody else in this forum also beat that game

:cry:

Might give it a replay soon with the English patch, found it works with my existing saves as well.

They put a lot of attention with Roy as well, although Sakurai mentioned this in the Direct but Roy's Final Smash is his critical move from Binding Sword.

In comparison to what is offered in comparison to the Mario Kart 8 DLC, i'm actually surprised the Smash DLC costs this much. And not in a good way surprised either. Yes i know there is a lot of work gone into each character and stage etc, and yet Nintendo still don't do cross-buy right. I'll wait for a bit before picking this up, may go for the Dreamland stage at some point. Not in a rush to get any DLC though.

:cry:

Hello, Jonnas.

Look at The Official Fire Emblem Thread.

Now back to me.

Now back at The Official Fire Emblem Thread.

Now back to me.

Sadly, I'm 25 now, so please stop bumping a thread I made when I was 15 and making me feel old. =P

Look again.

My post is now diamonds.

I'd like to apologize to the both of you for me having bad memory.

And also, holy crap, you really edited that original post! Sprout, you legend :grin:

I found a Mii face I like for the Inkling

QKYkGXK.jpg

At first glance I thought the nose was her mouth...

Did someone say just under £20 for all the DLC content for one version of the game?? Absolute madness. Slightly sad they've decided to DLC out Smash like this. What's the individual costs of the characters(Mewtwo, Roy, Lucas?) - is there a 'character bundle' available? What's all the other DLC too??

@Rummy: I was having a look yesterday.

Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy & Ryu were just under £17 if bought individually.

I understand the development costs however SSB4 never grabbed me like the previous incarnations, so I can't justify the spend.

I doubt I've put more than 5 hours into it!! maybe I should get Lucas to see if I can reignite interest?

@Rummy: I was having a look yesterday.

Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy & Ryu were just under £17 if bought individually.

I understand the development costs however SSB4 never grabbed me like the previous incarnations, so I can't justify the spend.

I doubt I've put more than 5 hours into it!! maybe I should get Lucas to see if I can reignite interest?

Feeling a similar feel myself - it's a popular game/franchise and they can totally milk folks for it which is a bit sad. I understand 'DLC' takes work - but were these 3 characters really worth 50% more of what I originally bought??

Yeah, the prices are just irritating, so surpsing, and disappointing. I'll wait for a season pass with everything in it!

I get the feeling those who are calling the character DLC "expensive" are failing to see why it's that price.

Just look up other fighting game character DLC and you may start to see that Smash is actually quite fair.

Cheekily nicked from GAF.

To those decrying the DLC price let's look at some other fighting games' characters prices:

Mortal Kombat/Injustice: $5

With a season pass for $15 for first 4 characters (Injustice had two more) in both games. Mortal Kombat X has 4 characters and 16 costumes for $30.

Skullgirls: $5

Dead or Alive 5: $4

Street Fighter 4: First pack was $15 for four characters. Two were versions of characters already on the roster and the other two were twins. Second pack was $15 for 5 characters. Four were the remaining street fighters from the game Street Fighter characters x Tekken (which ran on the SF4 engine). The fifth was a in story a clone of an existing character.

Persona 4 Arena: $5

Guilty Gear Xrd/Blazblue: $8

Nintendo is going as low as possible with $4 a character and only a buck more for a completely new model in a different game.

Mario Kart 8 has really warped your sense of fair pricing.

(Personally, it would have been nice if there was some kind of bundle pricing, but oh well)

I think it's because people think "Oh it's just a character" without realising the level of work that goes into the characters

I might purchase Ryu for 3DS and Wii U along with a Mii costume, as I seem to mostly use my Mii when I play, but I don't feel compelled to purchase the rest of what is on offer :smile:

If you're not that interested in the offerings, it's going to seem expensive. When you consider that I've never really fully embraced the franchise, other than a bit of a binge a couple of months ago, then £26 doesn't seem like a good investment for a few characters, costumes and stages :heh:

For me, it's two things:

- I'm probably not going to use the new characters that much (perhaps except Lucas), and they almost certainly won't make me put more than an hour or two into the game at the moment.

- The game came with 45 characters from the beginning for a price of about £30 (I think it cost about £40 on eShop where I bought it). Then £3 seems quite expensive for 1 character...

I think half or 2/3 of the price would be fair, and levels should be half at most! They would easily make money on the DLC even at half price (yeah, yeah, it's a business, if they can sell at this price it's better for them).

For me, it's two things:

- I'm probably not going to use the new characters that much (perhaps except Lucas), and they almost certainly won't make me put more than an hour or two into the game at the moment.

- The game came with 45 characters from the beginning for a price of about £30 (I think it cost about £40 on eShop where I bought it). Then £3 seems quite expensive for 1 character...

I think half or 2/3 of the price would be fair, and levels should be half at most! They would easily make money on the DLC even at half price (yeah, yeah, it's a business, if they can sell at this price it's better for them).

Your first point is fair enough, if you're not going to use it, that's perfectly OK.

The second point is a bit iffy...

Have you ever heard of "Economy of Scale"? Just in case you haven't...

In microeconomics, economies of scale are the cost advantages that enterprises obtain due to size, output, or scale of operation, with cost per unit of output generally decreasing with increasing scale as fixed costs are spread out over more units of output.

So in other words, it's cheaper to make around 40 characters at once, then it would be to make 40 characters one after the other.

If it weren't for economy of scale, Smash's actual price would be well over a hundred quid.

You can't apply that kind of reasoning to content that started development after the game was released. It's never that simple.

Bought the characters and level, I'll grab the Mii costumes later. I still feel like I owe Nintendo for how little they charged for the Mario Kart 8 DLC, so I'm happy to pay a little extra for stuff in other games. Anything to keep this welcome wave of post-release support going.

That said, cheaper is always better. I did leave the Mii stuff out to keep the spend below £20.

I think it's because people think "Oh it's just a character" without realising the level of work that goes into the characters

50% more than the original game for 3 extra characters? Buy a game for £35 and expect to pay half that extra on top for 3 more characters?

The second point is a bit iffy...

Have you ever heard of "Economy of Scale"? Just in case you haven't...

So in other words, it's cheaper to make around 40 characters at once, then it would be to make 40 characters one after the other.

If it weren't for economy of scale, Smash's actual price would be well over a hundred quid.

You can't apply that kind of reasoning to content that started development after the game was released. It's never that simple.

@Glen\-i - I really don't think economies of scale are applicable in this context. Seriously. Go read up a lot more about the concept. It refers to a whole product(generally physical) on a larger scale - it wasn't coined with the idea of digital DLC extensions to games. Even then - I'm not even sure how applicable you can really make that.

Who even said the content started development after anyway? When is the 'start' of it also? Do we believe this was never ever planned and completely struck up out of the blue afterwards?

Showing my support for more Nintendo/CAPCOM opportunities by buying Ryu. No Street Fighter love on Nintendo home consoles for so long now. :cry: I did love Tatsunoko though. ;)

The return of Hyrule castle from the N64 hit me right in the childhood. That's my teen years spent on that stage. Hours spent throwing bombs and dodging whirlwinds. Can't wait to play that one. Dreamland will do for now (missed opp. For Melee's Fountain of Dreams music though).

I'm loving the additional content that comes in these packs (SF2 Ken OST FTW). It's clearly made with a lot of love and is completely optional on an already joyous game.

Now give me more Sanic...

Showing my support for more Nintendo/CAPCOM opportunities by buying Ryu. No Street Fighter love on Nintendo home consoles for so long now. :cry: I did love Tatsunoko though. ;)

The return of Hyrule castle from the N64 hit me right in the childhood. That's my teen years spent on that stage. Hours spent throwing bombs and dodging whirlwinds. Can't wait to play that one. Dreamland will do for now (missed opp. For Melee's Fountain of Dreams music though).

I'm loving the additional content that comes in these packs (SF2 Ken OST FTW). It's clearly made with a lot of love and is completely optional on an already joyous game.

Now give me more Sanic...

Wait, the fountain of dreams music is in it.

It's called Gourmet Race (Melee)

Check out My Music.

Wait, the fountain of dreams music is in it.

It's called Gourmet Race (Melee)

Check out My Music.

Whaaaaaat...

When it finishes installing... :yay:

Whaaaaaat...

When it finishes installing... :yay:

Yeah, there's six Kirby tracks on Dream Land, including a new remix of Ice Cream Island.

Tracks from Kirby 64 and Triple Deluxe also make an appearance.

Who even said the content started development after anyway? When is the 'start' of it also? Do we believe this was never ever planned and completely struck up out of the blue afterwards?

Sakurai did :heh: I have no input whatsoever regarding economies of scale, but I do know that Sakurai said development on additional characters would start after the game was released. And the claim is rather plausible.

Feel free to dispute the price, but this quote reads more like a conspiracy theory. Nintendo ain't Capcom (who has a history of including finished characters on-disc as DLC).