NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

What are you on about? You seem to be remembering this very wrong. Oo

Mega Drive had SF2! And the controller was even better for it too! (which can't be said for pretty much any other game)

Hell, the mega drive controller set the standard of what fighting game pads would look like. And it was huge for the md too, I remember it being constantly sold out (and my moron of a father ended up buying rise of the robots instead which went on to be the only game I ever had for the MD because he didn't like videogames... *sigh*)

Let's not forget Europe was the only region where MD ended up beating the SNES, too.

I'll never understand it, though... SNES is the king of all consoles!

6 buttons versus 3. Your argument begins and fails on that very point. The SNES controller was a perfect match for Street Fighter.

The only Street Fighter game that Genesis got was the 'Special Champion Edition', whereas the SNES got World Warriors, Street Fighter 2 Turbo and The New Challengers. The World Warrior sold something ridiculous like 3.5 million units outside of Japan and Turbo also sold 2 million outside of the Japan too.

Huge, huge games and certainly the reason why many people picked up a SNES.

Again... What are you on about? The special champ edition is literally identical to turbo.

I don't think "only" having the best version available for 16 bit consoles is anything to laugh at.

The MD controller was garbage for SF. There weren't enough buttons to accommodate all of the moves so you had to press start to switch between punching and kicking. It wasn't until Sega released a 6 button pad that the game actually became playable.

You just blew my mind right now. I never had any idea there was a 3 button version of the md controller. Oo

What the fuck?

6 buttons versus 3. Your argument begins and fails on that very point. The SNES controller was a perfect match for Street Fighter.

I didn't even know there ever was a 3 button pad. I had the 6 button one, which is identical to my sf4 pad and 600% better for fighters than the snes pad. All fighter pads are based on that design. Standard shoulder button controllers are horrible for fighters.

My childhood is collapsing right now. This is like the first time I saw the original xbox controller years after being done with my xbox and it's S controllers. Ignorance is bliss, I guess...

Edited by Oxigen_Waste
Automerged Doublepost

Again... What are you on about? The special champ edition is literally identical to turbo.

I don't think "only" having the best version available for 16 bit consoles is anything to laugh at.

You just blew my mind right now. I never had any idea there was a 3 button version of the md controller. Oo

What the fuck?

I didn't even know there ever was a 3 button pad. I had the 6 button one, which is identical to my sf4 pad and 600% better for fighters than the snes pad. All fighter pads are based on that design. Standard shoulder button controllers are horrible for fighters.

My childhood is collapsing right now. This is like the first time I saw the original xbox controller years after being done with my xbox and it's S controllers. Ignorance is bliss, I guess...

The standard controller only had 3 buttons, so in order to switch between kicks and punches you had to press start lol. I think the 6 button controller launched alongside the Genesis version of Street Fighter, which came out a year later on Genesis due to an exclusivity agreement.

I remember reading that they got around their agreement with Nintendo by releasing a slightly different version on the Genesis (I think it was literally a title swap) but I'm not sure.

Oh, and the SNES version had the best soundtrack :)

I owned both a MegaDrive and a SNES as a kid and had access to both Street Fighter Two Turbo and Special Championship Edition. It didn't work that well on the MD as the controller was cack for it. Sorry, OxyWaste. I am talking about the original default three button controller. Never got around to trying it with six buttons, that might have made it better.

I can't remember any gameplay differences off the top of my head, stuff like performance. Kinda wish I had the six button pad now, gah.

I do remember as a kid finding it confusing distinguishing between all of the different iterations. It can actually be quite off-putting for a lot of gamers as you haven't really got time to look at each version individually and work out which is the better one. I hope that this is something that Capcom phase out. Just one version of the game and make updates to it via DLC.

OK, I think it's time someone took this thread back to Smash Bros.

Yesterday, I beat Solo WiiU 9.0 for the first time!

But I didn't just beat it...

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

I still can't believe I pulled that off! Yay for Customisations!

Now I just have to beat it without losing a life...

(On the plus side, you can tackle that one in co-op, meaning you don't have to fight Master Fortress)

I've got 25 challenges left to go now.

Oh, and the SNES version had the best soundtrack :)

Also, the Turbo edition came in a limited edition tin box with a pin badge. God tier stuff back in the day. That's when tin cases were special. :D

Oxigen is definitely right.

I still have SF2 Championship edition AND Turbo with new challengers on the mega drive, and whilst the 3 button pad wasn't much cop, the 6 button version is the original fightpad.

I also had SF2 on the SNES. My mega drive versions saw far more play time.

Translated excerpt from Masahiro Sakurai's latest Famitsu column:

"It’s a huge undertaking to create a fighter, so I think we can’t make them in large quantities. I’d also like to feel refreshed when the project is over. However, since we have decided to tackle [DLC] once, I’d like to offer as much fun [content] as possible. It will take a while from now, but please look forward to it."

So from Mewtwo being the only DLC to now wanting to create as much DLC as possible. If it carries on as started I'm going to leave it. I'd rather a set bundle price than paying individual prices for God awful costumes like the monkey suit. Could be Sakurai's last hurrah as he mightn't be back for the next installment.

Translated excerpt from Masahiro Sakurai's latest Famitsu column:

"It’s a huge undertaking to create a fighter, so I think we can’t make them in large quantities. I’d also like to feel refreshed when the project is over. However, since we have decided to tackle [DLC] once, I’d like to offer as much fun [content] as possible. It will take a while from now, but please look forward to it."

So from Mewtwo being the only DLC to now wanting to create as much DLC as possible. If it carries on as started I'm going to leave it. I'd rather a set bundle price than paying individual prices for God awful costumes like the monkey suit. Could be Sakurai's last hurrah as he mightn't be back for the next installment.

Good thing that the costume packs are optional, then.

God awful costumes like the monkey suit.

You monster. :cry:

(I crushed some of my friends yesterday with my newly monkey-fied Swordfighter. It was glorious.)

Also... Not sure what you mean by

I'd rather a set bundle price than paying individual prices

considering there IS a bundle. I should know - I bought it.

You monster. :cry:

(I crushed some of my friends yesterday with my newly monkey-fied Swordfighter. It was glorious.)

Also... Not sure what you mean by

considering there IS a bundle. I should know - I bought it.

There's a bundle for the manky costumes, Mewtwo is separate from that. What happens for costume pack 2 or the next DLC characters? Hyrule Warriors and MK8 have a set price that covered us for all the upcoming DLC, not pickpocketing here and there as they go along.

Eh... I'm not sure a season pass would make too much sense in this case considering most of the DLC only appeals to those who use the Mii Fighters a lot. And even separate season passes - one for the DLC characters and another for all the costumes - wouldn't make sense considering we have no idea how many fighters/costumes we're getting or who/what they'll be.

Hardly comparable to Hyrule Warriors or Mario Kart 8 where we already knew the general scope of DLC we'd be buying for the season pass price.

Edited by FireMeowth

Super Smash Bros Director Sakurai Calls DLC These Days A Scam

Some DLC is well worth your money like the Mario Kart 8 downloadable content and some simply is not. Super Smash Bros creator Masahiro Sakurai isn’t happy about the current downloadable content that we are peddled as he says developers are actually providing us with an unfinished product at launch. Sakurai feels that the product delivered to us at launch should be 100% complete and shouldn’t require us giving additional cash post launch.

These days, the “DLC scam” has become quite the epidemic, charging customers extra money to complete what was essentially an unfinished product. I completely understand how aggravated players must feel. After all, a game should be 100% at the time of release, and I would be livid if it were split up and sold in pieces.

Why, then, do you think so many titles provide premium DLC on or shortly following a game’s release? It’s because that’s the easiest way to make money.

After all, if you wait too long after a game’s release to distribute additional content, players will already move on to the next title. Even long tail titles–that is, ones that perform consistently well over an extended period of time–make more money the earlier they come out.

Moreover, we decided to release other characters as well because part of the fun of Smash is the anticipation: “Which character will join the fray next!?” If we keep distributing content, we can maintain that excitement, and I think that’s a really great thing.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/04/23/super-smash-bros-director-sakurai-calls-dlc-these-days-a-scam/

I agree with Sakurai but even Nintendo are guilty of this practise. Though they may have only entered the fray recently and it may seem inconsequential to some.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/04/23/super-smash-bros-director-sakurai-calls-dlc-these-days-a-scam/

I agree with Sakurai but even Nintendo are guilty of this practise. Though they may have only entered the fray recently and it may seem inconsequential to some.

With what games are Nintendo "guilty" of that practice? Iwata said from the outset that they will not do DLC like that.

Please enlighten me

With what games are Nintendo "guilty" of that practice? Iwata said from the outset that they will not do DLC like that.

Please enlighten me

Does Mario Golf ring a bell?

Please enlighten me

Mario Party 10, Super Smash Bros., Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush and Splatoon. Yoshi's Woolly World will no doubt be the same. Say what you want but it's day 1, paywalled DLC and if you don't have a key, you're not getting it. It's right there on the disc. Pretty much all the recent games and they'll keep pushing the boat until they hit an iceberg.

Edited by Wii

Does Mario Golf ring a bell?

That game got inexplicably delayed, but they did slice the price considerably so when you did end up with all the DLC, it was the same price as a regular game. It was priced well. But yeah, Mario Golf is the exception.

Mario Party 10, Super Smash Bros., Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush and Splatoon. Yoshi's Woolly World will no doubt be the same. Say what you want but it's day 1, paywalled DLC and if you don't have a key, you're not getting it. It's right there on the disc. Pretty much all the recent games and they'll keep pushing the boat until they hit an iceberg.

That's not DLC you nitwit. Those are amiibo features. They are intended to be there and used for amiibo. It's not them holding back content for DLC release later.

Good god you're an idiot. That is not comparable with what Sakurai said at all. You're just trying to start a fight, and I, like a fool, took the bait.

Edited by Serebii

That game got inexplicably delayed, but they did slice the price considerably so when you did end up with all the DLC, it was the same price as a regular game. It was priced well. But yeah, Mario Golf is the exception.

That's not DLC you nitwit. Those are amiibo features. They are intended to be there and used for amiibo. It's not them holding back content for DLC release later.

Good god you're an idiot.

"A rose($H1T) by any other name would smell as sweet(rancid)." Or as the other saying goes "a rose(DLC) by any other name is still a rose(DLC)."

It's DLC. It's locked away content on the disc that you can't access unless you pay Nintendo extra money(amiibo), hence DLC. And mind your manners, you did get the fool bit right.

"A rose($H1T) by any other name would smell as sweet(rancid)." Or as the other saying goes "a rose(DLC) by any other name is still a rose(DLC)."

It's DLC. It's locked away content on the disc that you can't access unless you pay Nintendo extra money(amiibo), hence DLC. And mind your manners, you did get the fool bit right.

DLC is downloadable content. This is not downloadable content.

The statement being made was that it's not right for companies to develop things and hold it back to be released as downloadable content. This is not the case with the amiibo stuff. With the amiibo stuff, the content was created in line with the game and released with the game as a perk for the amiibo. Without the amiibo existing, those features would not exist in the game.

You're a troll. Stop it.

Oh sorry, I shall refer to it as paywalled content in future though I did reference it earlier.

Without the amiibo existing, those features would not exist in the game.

Like those kind of "extra" features never existed before amiibo? Who be trollin'?

We should be thankful SM3DW and NintendoLand came out before amiibo or we'd have had the invincibility leaf and the plaza prizes respectively as "perks" of owning amiibo. And every other feature before amiibo came along. Now all these things are perks? Please!

Incidentally, the 1.0.7 patch is out. Fixes the Global Smash Power issue with Mewtwo

Oh sorry, I shall refer to it as paywalled content in future though I did reference it earlier.

Except that it being paywalled isn't what Sakurai was complaining about, thus making your entire argument here void and stupid.

He was complaining about developers holding back on content developed for the game and releasing it later as DLC. That's not what the scenarios you bring up do. So either you're just trying to start arguments, which is likely, or you're so unbelievably stupid you cannot comprehend the two different kinds of content.

Like those kind of "extra" features never existed before amiibo? Who be trollin'?

We should be thankful SM3DW and NintendoLand came out before amiibo or we'd have had the invincibility leaf and the plaza prizes respectively as "perks" of owning amiibo. And every other feature before amiibo came along. Now all these things are perks? Please!

I'm saying these specific features wouldn't have existed. Especially with Smash and Mario Party, which you decided to include in your insane rambling

It's all the same, it's content you can't access on day 1 without paying extra. To-may-to, to-mah-to.

It's all the same, it's content you can't access on day 1 without paying extra. To-may-to, to-mah-to.

It really isn't, and it isn't what Sakurai was referring to. While we can argue it's bad to have a "paywall" for amiibo content (which is another discussion), Sakurai was talking about hold back game content for DLC release much later. Your argument is flawed as it's ignoring the premise of what Sakurai actually said

Good god you're an idiot.

You're a troll. Stop it.

Dude, c'mon, keep it civil.