NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

Finally got Smash today. There are a lot of small anoying things - like having to remember to select my customised control setup every time I change mode (Why did they default the R/ZR stuff the way they did? Madness), or the kinda slow start up. Also Classic isn't very "Classic" at all, lacking stuff like Break The Targets, the giant matchups, the metal match. But Master/Crazy orders makes up for that as an excellent mode that will keep me amused for a while.

I like how it feels a bit more weighty than Brawl, but I dunno if its me not being used to the controls (definitely still need to get a GC adapter...) or just the game, but it feels a wee bit slow right now.

Other thoughts: they have too many fighters unlocked by default, I'd rather the fun of unlocking them all and not having so many to choose from straight off. It's gonna take forever to get accustomed to them all! Oh, and the credits game is excellent.

Finally got Smash today. There are a lot of small anoying things - like having to remember to select my customised control setup every time I change mode (Why did they default the R/ZR stuff the way they did? Madness), or the kinda slow start up. Also Classic isn't very "Classic" at all, lacking stuff like Break The Targets, the giant matchups, the metal match. But Master/Crazy orders makes up for that as an excellent mode that will keep me amused for a while.

I like how it feels a bit more weighty than Brawl, but I dunno if its me not being used to the controls (definitely still need to get a GC adapter...) or just the game, but it feels a wee bit slow right now.

Other thoughts: they have too many fighters unlocked by default, I'd rather the fun of unlocking them all and not having so many to choose from straight off. It's gonna take forever to get accustomed to them all! Oh, and the credits game is excellent.

It's definitely 'heavier' than Brawl but still much lighter than Melee. There's actually a custom item that you unlock which turns up the gravity to Melee levels.

It's definitely 'heavier' than Brawl but still much lighter than Melee. There's actually a custom item that you unlock which turns up the gravity to Melee levels.

Wait what? How do you unlock this?

Wait what? How do you unlock this?

Not sure (I don't own the game yet) but there are a lot of videos online of what it does to the gameplay, for example:

Combined with the 'smooth lander' item (which effectively L-cancels moves like in melee), the game becomes significantly faster. Looks fantastic too. That Mario is insane!

Edit: Here's one of Captain Falcon:

That combo between 0:21 and 0:26...Awesome.

Too bad it messes with Mega Man's and Sonic's recoveries.

I like Smash 4 the way it is, it's basically what Brawl should've been.

Too bad it messes with Mega Man's and Sonic's recoveries.

I like Smash 4 the way it is, it's basically what Brawl should've been.

Yeah I love how it feels like 'proper Brawl'. I also love how Yoshi is amazing in it..can't wait to play online with him when I get the game!!

Played my first 'Smash Tour' last night... What the hell was all that about?!!? :confused:

I've only been passively clearing challenges this time round to pace myself (I've been doing the same with Event Matches), and over the past week I've finally been able to complete some of the challenges that were giving me the most trouble (including that Lucina Cruel Smash one). All that's left are ones that are comparatively easier, and ones that are simply a grind (like those darn collect all custom equipment ones). Here are some of the main ones I've done, and I could give tips for them if people want later. I've hidden the pictures in case people wanted to find out what the pictures are for themselves, but for those who really want to know I put them in spoiler boxes. I didn't resize the images though, so they're quite large!

XODHkgV.png

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01rsqm3.jpg

This was the one I thought would be most difficult. As you can see, the prize isn't very worth the trouble!

GbSA3CP.png

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01exr60.jpg

JSkWCRS.png

By the way, this is what my screen looked like before facing Crazy Hand. There's over 9000G in that pile of gold! No, really!

D...Don't you just wanna swim in it? Ducktales, awoohoo!

4WiSFyE.png

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01n2ptu.jpg

I wanted to mention this challenge in particular because I don't think the wording is very clear. In order to complete this challenge, unless I'm mistaken I believe you need to have 300000G in your possession. Money that has been spent to buy trophies and such does not count towards this total. If you're aiming to clear this challenge, then you'd better start saving!

dj5gfW1.png

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01l7p6a.jpg

Mz2bhHj.png

wiiu_screenshot_tv_010gpbm.jpg

For those who don't know, to get a Perfect in a stage of Target Blast you need to destroy all of the red targets, the smaller green ones aren't necessary. You could probably do this quite easily if you just looked at how other people accomplished this via YouTube, but, well, I really wanted to show you my attempt at Stage 3!

Think you can beat my score? =P

My girlfriend got me the Wii U version. I had a quick blast on it.

I love the Xenoblade stage.

So is erm everything unlocked from the start?

My girlfriend got me the Wii U version. I had a quick blast on it.

I love the Xenoblade stage.

So is erm everything unlocked from the start?

No, still a fair bit to unlock... I wish they had more locked at the beginning to be honest, but there's still a fair bit.

Well not having played Smash Bros since Melee back when the Gamecube was current I have pretty much forgotten everything about playing Smash Bros games. Gonna have to practice a bit if I expect to win every tournament going and become a pro gamer.

You could do worse than the Mayflash adapter, basically my understanding of it is that it makes your GC controller behave like a classic controller so it will map all of the buttons to the right places just that the start button might be a bit temperamental due to it having more than one function but still, not bad for the price due to the official GC controller adapter not being available for a reasonable price. : peace:

You could do worse than the Mayflash adapter, basically my understanding of it is that it makes your GC controller behave like a classic controller so it will map all of the buttons to the right places just that the start button might be a bit temperamental due to it having more than one function but still, not bad for the price due to the official GC controller adapter not being available for a reasonable price. : peace:

Have you been using anything like this?

I've been meaning to get a pro controller. Which I think I'll use instead...

Have you been using anything like this?

I've been meaning to get a pro controller. Which I think I'll use instead...

I've had no experience of using one though I was tempted to buy it at one point but then the GC controller adapter was announced so I didn't bother.

I'd still use the Pro Controller over the Mayflash adapter though, I've been using a Pro Controller with the Wii U since day 1 and it's a very reliable pad indeed but it's just that given the option, I'd choose to use a GC pad for Super Smash Bros every time because I love any excuse to use my Wavebird controllers. :D

Yes with the Wavebird you do lose the rumble plus you need a GC controller adapter to use it but there's just something about that controller which feels right every time so I sincerely hope that support for the adapter is added and that the adapter is made more readily available again when the N64/GC games are added to the VC as it can't be long now surely? :blank:

As for Super Smash Bros I've just got back into playing it a bit more myself after leaving it for a week or two, I love the game but it's just being in the right mood to play it. : peace:

I've only just got it and found myself shit as hell, controls on the Gamepad blows. It took me awhile to find that the story mode is not on the main screen like it fucking should be.

Managed to get just over 600 in the home run challenge.

Using the Gamepad to play Super Smash Bros. certainly isn't ideal to say the least... :heh: also yes I've always felt that Story mode should be on the main menu as well, I'm glad it's still in there as it's the only mode I've played so far aside from multiplayer, I want to work my way through all of the characters. :D

:blank: there is a story mode? I hate the menu system in ssb4wu, even more now.. I spent fr too long trying to find the trophy shop a few weeks back, I more or less just play regular smash/8player smash and ignore most other things because I'm too lazy to learn that labyrinth... so um.. where is this story mode you speak of?

:blank: there is a story mode? I hate the menu system in ssb4wu, even more now.. I spent fr too long trying to find the trophy shop a few weeks back, I more or less just play regular smash/8player smash and ignore most other things because I'm too lazy to learn that labyrinth... so um.. where is this story mode you speak of?

Well... it's just the single player mode where you face off against other fighters, then the Mii fighters, then Master/Crazy Hand.

It's probably not called Story Mode but I guess it's just thought of as it because it's the closest thing we'll get to one, I mean it's got the nice little ending clips for each character at least. ::shrug:

Using the Gamepad to play Super Smash Bros. certainly isn't ideal to say the least..

Do you think the Gamepad is better? The weird thing is that my attacks for many characters didn't seem to have any effect, this is from the characters given to me on that Mario Party raping thing. Sonic/Luigi/especially Jigglypuff were terrible. I did much better with Little Mac (who actually seemed to have a.combo for his button presses), Shulk and very well with Dedede.

Do you think the Gamepad is better? The weird thing is that my attacks for many characters didn't seem to have any effect, this is from the characters given to me on that Mario Party raping thing. Sonic/Luigi/especially Jigglypuff were terrible. I did much better with Little Mac (who actually seemed to have a.combo for his button presses), Shulk and very well with Dedede.

No, I dislike using the gamepad for games like Super Smash Bros. it feels unnatural. :(

Pro Controller or GC Controller, no problem though. :)

I've yet to have the displeasure of playing the board game mode yet, I hear it's not exactly brilliant. :heh:

you pick up powerups during the game, so you probably didn't pick up enough attack powerups/your opponents picked up lots of defensive powerups. I've played the game twice, the second time my speed bar was more or less full, it made half my characters unplayable (would have been fine for the super heavy slow and cumbersome ones.. but I had none of them!).