NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

Has anyone stopped using their gamepad on this for fear of them breaking it? I switched over to the Wii U Pro controller and then the Wii Pro controller. I'm not comfortable with either especially the Wii U Pro controller, it's too cramped. Tomorrow I think I'll try out the Wii remote and nunchuk. That's what I used mainly for Brawl.

I can replace a controller far easier than the gamepad.

I just use my classic controller myself, it's nice and snug. The buttons are all bigger and comfier than on the Gamepad

@f00had, have you noticed any lag on the classic controller?

Nah none at all. I used to play Brawl with the Gamecube controller then switched to the Classic Controller for that and didn't feel any lag at all and Smash Wii U is just as responsive. I wouldn't worry about lag since Wii remotes connect through bluetooth, same as PS3 controllers which people use at competitive level for games like Street Fighter and Tekken. If it's good enough for them it's good enough for us :D

Hidden Palutena’s Guidance audio clip discovered in Smash Bros. Wii U data

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U features “secret” audio clips known as Palutena’s Guidance. By playing as Pit in the Palutena’s Temple stage and pressing the down taunt at the right moment, you can hear conversations about the different characters on the roster.

Interestingly, one hidden audio clip on the disc was recently discovered. Listen to it below:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0KivwmAoIq3

What might this be about? Is it a generic placeholder? Something more?

http://nintendoeverything.com/hidden-palutenas-guidance-audio-clip-discovered-in-smash-bros-wii-u-data/

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=952207

It's probably the audio clip that Palutena will use with future DLC characters.

Err... no.

It's what is called an error handler. Games typically have this kind of "dummy file" in place in order to handle situations where strange things happen and the game doesn't know what to do. It acts as a failsafe, to prevent the game from crashing.

In this instance, this audio file would play if someone managed to somehow load up Pallutena's Temple with an unrecognized character (say if someone found a glitch that let you play against Master Hand in that level, or if someone started up a multiplayer game against no opponent). If this file wasn't in the game and someone managed to do that somehow, it would cause the game to crash as it would be trying to load up an audio file that doesn't exist.

All this file means is that the game was properly programmed :p

Edited by Dcubed

What will she do when DLC characters arrive because you know they're coming? And I don't mean Mewtwo.

What will she do when DLC characters arrive because you know they're coming? And I don't mean Mewtwo.

When you download the update for the character it'll come with a Palutena quote.

When you download the update for the character it'll come with a Palutena quote.

That makes sense.

Well it's a real shame to see so much disillusion for this game here at N-E, especially as it's such an excellent entry in the Smash Bros. series (and potentially the last with involvement from Sakurai too!). :(

But hey-ho. ::shrug:

I just hope those of us that are enjoying it, will continue to play for quite some time yet. :)

Smash has always for me really been about the multiplayer, and the lack of voice chat for online in this day and age does put me off as I'm used to it going hand in hand with the game. The complete shambles of the GC adapter is really not helping the encourage me into Smash though, and whilst I thought Brawl was an excellent addition/build up melee(that I didn't think possible) - I've so far not felt the same overwhelming sense of improvement upon the game with Smash 4. It's hard enough getting people together for locals as much as I used to, but without a GC adapter it just isn't all that feasible at the moment to ask people around to play(which, admittedly, is easier to host now).

@Gizmo I think this is just another in a very long series of signs of the fanbase being disgruntled and apathetic, though it's been covered repeatedly across the forum so I won't get too much into it here. Someone even asked me the other day whether it's worth getting a WiiU for Smash - at a time like Christmas people are spending money, but I honestly couldn't give an answer either way to them(again not helped by lack of gamecube adapter supply atm).

That reminds me, I actually have a spare sealed copy of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, if anyone wants it for £29.98 which is a penny less than Game AND you're guaranteed a sealed copy too ;) them PM me, first come first served, Paypal gift etc.

Otherwise I'll probably whack it up on eBay this afternoon. : peace:

I'm going to really get back into playing Smash more now that I have my second wave of Amiibos I reckon, I haven't played it for a couple of days so I can't wait to get back into it. :D

I too have had limited time to play the game since purchasing it. It's much more of a time issue to get engaged with it fully tbh. Thankfully I break up for two weeks this Friday and will have some time to game over Christmas.

I've not even had the chance to buy Shovel Knight, Hyrule Warriors or Bayonetta 1/2 either - all of which I was looking forward to.

Then there's Captain Toad in 2015 as well! Plus I've missed out on a few PS3 games - have hardly touched PES 2015.

How people have the time to game as much as they do is a mystery. :confused:

I'm actually thankful there's the traditional Nintendo drought in the new year so I can catch up on the games. Although Amiibo collecting (amiibogeddon) will keep my interest piqued for Smash.

The game has been great when I've played it. Not a big fan of how many moving stages there are but the OMEGA stages are great. I was more interested in the OST playlist last time I played it, just like when I'd put the 3DS into sleep mode and just chill to the OST. Infact, the WiiU (what with Mario World, DKC Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart) already houses some of my favourite gaming tracks of ALL TIME. Smash just knocks it out of the park.

I've only had ONE online game and got destroyed by some ridiculous repetitive combo from a clearly-pro Samus player. Combos seem more prominent in this (and the 3DS) versions which I'm not sure I'll have the time to fully commit to/learn.

I do love the GC adapter and I'm glad that it exists but playing on the GamePad has been really handy when I haven't got time to sit at the TV and game. I just wish the range on the GPad was better. I'd use it WAY more then. How about plug adapters like those WiFi range enhancers Nintendo?

That reminds me, I actually have a spare sealed copy of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, if anyone wants it for £29.98 which is a penny less than Game AND you're guaranteed a sealed copy too ;) them PM me, first come first served, Paypal gift etc.

Otherwise I'll probably whack it up on eBay this afternoon. : peace:

I'm going to really get back into playing Smash more now that I have my second wave of Amiibos I reckon, I haven't played it for a couple of days so I can't wait to get back into it. :D

Actually when you pop it in the basket it comes up at exactly that price :p

I need the receipt for this one though, so I've gone on with it. £20 less than I paid for the instore copy, and I'll pop that towards a seperate adapter once it rocks up as somewhere stockwise.

We bit at that price. Although, I think we went with the mentality of "we're not going to find it cheaper, so may as well" rather than "we want this game, give it naow".

What control setups you got? Obv GC is superior but pro pad can be ok once you get used to it - I've swapped X into B, using Y to jump and A as standard - the right stick stays as smashing and I swapped Rshoulder(not trigger) into grab/throw like Z is on the GC pad. It's still short of the GC pad for sure, but I find it a good enough substitute for now and I'm getting more and more adjusted to it.

What control setups you got? Obv GC is superior but pro pad can be ok once you get used to it - I've swapped X into B, using Y to jump and A as standard - the right stick stays as smashing and I swapped Rshoulder(not trigger) into grab/throw like Z is on the GC pad. It's still short of the GC pad for sure, but I find it a good enough substitute for now and I'm getting more and more adjusted to it.

I've got the Pro Controller, which I guess is alright. I'm not keen on using the GamePad because it's...crap, really. Wiimotes are compatible, I assume? Could link up a classic controller.

Meh, wish I could just use the GC controller orrrrrr even for Nintendo to just "build" their new controller on top of the previous models, like Microsoft and Sony do. That way, there isn't a huuuuge difference between each iteration. Going from N64 to GC to Wiimote to GamePad/Pro Controller is a pain in the tits.

I applaud Nintendo for doing something different. I like the GamePad, whereas others don't. I dislike the PS4 pad yet others like it.

There is no pleasing some though. I seriously think that some people on here are that pissed off with Nintendo to such an extent that whatever they do will be slagged off.

Try and enjoy Smash without entering it with a negative attitude.

I've got the Pro Controller, which I guess is alright. I'm not keen on using the GamePad because it's...crap, really. Wiimotes are compatible, I assume? Could link up a classic controller.

Meh, wish I could just use the GC controller orrrrrr even for Nintendo to just "build" their new controller on top of the previous models, like Microsoft and Sony do. That way, there isn't a huuuuge difference between each iteration. Going from N64 to GC to Wiimote to GamePad/Pro Controller is a pain in the tits.

I take where you're coming from, tbh I actually find the GamePad not terrible, but tis a bit weighty(kinda ok if I'm trying to off-TV play tho, same setup options as with Pro pad). Wiimotes are compatible, as well as wiimotes+nunchuks, and wiimotes+classics I presume - essentially everything from Brawl+WiiU's new control options, plus ability to remap buttons etc. Tied to a name entry though iirc so you gotta not forget to select it.

Edited by Rummy

I've decided, games being released near Christmas is a bad idea, just no time to play, too busy!

I applaud Nintendo for doing something different. I like the GamePad, whereas others don't. I dislike the PS4 pad yet others like it.

There is no pleasing some though. I seriously think that some people on here are that pissed off with Nintendo to such an extent that whatever they do will be slagged off.

Try and enjoy Smash without entering it with a negative attitude.

See, you start off the post well by understanding that different people like different things, before throwing a mild hissy fit. :p

There's nowt really wrong with anything that I said. I do wish Nintendo would take one base design for a controller and just build onto that and improve it. (it's called evolution) It was a pain going from the N64 to GC controller for Smash and you essentially had to re-learn everything, same when you moved up to Wiimotes. In the end, I gave up playing with the Mote and used the wavebird.

I take where you're coming from, tbh I actually find the GamePad not terrible, but tis a bit weighty(kinda ok if I'm trying to off-TV play tho, same setup options as with Pro pad). Wiimotes are compatible, as well as wiimotes+nunchuks, and wiimotes+classics I presume - essentially everything from Brawl+WiiU's new control options, plus ability to remap buttons etc. Tied to a name entry though iirc so you gotta not forget to select it.

(tbh these posts might be better suited in the Smash 4 thread, can we get a mod to shuffle them over there? @\-Dem0\-? Leave Flink's original post but move over my response about controls and subsequent posts?)

I don't really like playing with the Wiimote and Nunchuk for Smash, so may give the classic controller a try as we only have one pro controller. Does one person HAVE to use the GamePad or can you have player 1 as Pro Controller and player 2 as Wiimote/Classic Controller?

I don't really like playing with the Wiimote and Nunchuk for Smash, so may give the classic controller a try as we only have one pro controller. Does one person HAVE to use the GamePad or can you have player 1 as Pro Controller and player 2 as Wiimote/Classic Controller?

totally up to players which controller they use. You use the controller you want to use to select your character.

So sure, you can have one player use a pro controller and the other use a classic controller.

totally up to players which controller they use. You use the controller you want to use to select your character.

So sure, you can have one player use a pro controller and the other use a classic controller.

Nice one. :D

That'll be the combo we go for then. Think I'll give Ine the Pro Controller and I'll give the Classic Controller/pro a go. Any others who join in can just make do with Wiimotes since I haven't got the money to buy more controllers. :D

(tbh these posts might be better suited in the Smash 4 thread, can we get a mod to shuffle them over there? @\-Dem0\-? Leave Flink's original post but move over my response about controls and subsequent posts?)

Done. Hopefully won't confuse everyone. :p

Top stuff Ike thanks, didn't wanna end up derailing the other thread but felt it's very valid discussion to be had so best place is probably here!

Tried my first 'for glory' earlier but only as a 4-man, it was too laggy to really work well - not full lag but intermittend pockets that really felt like they mattered, I took a second place as a random ROB against a Marth and two Macs that I honestly felt could have been a first place without the lag - I just don't really know what to do when it hits. Did a bit of online with my mate just after - no lag there though I keep forgetting to 'start' matches. I forgot I'd played with him last week when I was a wee wasted but was interesting playing today - he skipped Brawl as far as I recall and was a bit pants when he came round for it last year, but I found him rather formidable in 1-1 tonight(3 stocks, he didn't take majority but I did find myself on my toes), I wondered if he's had a lot of hands on with Smash 4 and just sort of taken from that. He felt liked he played different to what I've really seen elsewhere, with stuff that I feel Smash4's closed the gaps on compared to previous games(at least in terms of you needing to do it to get by in single etc).

Hope that isn't just rambly nonsense, tonight's some more drunken smash :p

nintendo-controller-gif.gif

It's interesting seeing the natural evolution abruptly halted by the Wiimote. But even then, why they abandoned it all with the Classic controller I have no idea.