NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

I really do love a good ol' Knee. Down Throw->Knee...oh yeh :heart:

dude what's your friend code? you should add me, since we both follow smash tournaments I reckon we could have some good games

did any of you guys have any custom characters set up?

Nah, I just created my Mii but haven't used him yet. Apart from that, no customisation.

I haven't created any custom ones either, wasn't sure you could use them online so didn't see the point. I'll have a look into it though.

Anyone played Smash Run? Ugh, such a chore. I wasn't sure on it when it was announced anyway but after playing through it 3 times I really hate it. It just feels like a pointless waste of time, the upgrades don't seem to make much of a difference, the world is so awkward to navigate with most fighters and it just feels like a cut-down adventure mode that doesn't know what to do with itself. The one didn't even end in a fight but a race to the finish type thing, whaaat. All that upgrading shit just to be running to a damn finish line? It will probably be more fun multiplyer, so I'll wait and do that.

As for the fighting, in all the Smash games so far I've much preferred the big stages where you can jump around and stuff changes (for example, Pokéfloats is literally one of my all time favourite levels) but on this game I'm the complete opposite and only really like the final destination type levels. I thought it was a weird inclusion when I first heard it, but I'm actually really glad they put FD versions of every level in now. I think a lot of it is to do with the smaller DS screen and me finidng it way harder to jump this time around.

Also kinda hating most of the items in this game. Again, they used to be my favourite aspect of most Smash games, but it's quite hard to tell what the hell is happening sometimes and I think about 50% of items are ridiculously over-powered now. Also, the bee's and cuccoo's are just annoying as fuck :p

I like the game a lot, but I just like the game for the complete opposite reasons that I thought I would. I'm treating the DS game a lot more like an actual fighter whereas the console ones have always felt more like party games to me. I even prefer matches with just 2 or 3 people but in the old games anything but 4 players seemed wrong.

Also, I wish the general online was better, it just needs more options. I really love friend games, whenever my ds gets an orange light I try and set up a match with whoever it is. The random online is atrocious though. Literally no options, not even the most basic of Worldwide or Continental, which given the constant lag complaints would surely be a great addition. Speaking of lag, again, in friend games it's barely noticable but in random matches it's actually unplayable. I'm gonna avoid even playing random matches now, I did it a lot with Brawl and I think that's what put me off the series for a good few years as it left such a bitter taste in my mouth.

Edited by Josh64

I've got a few set-up, but don't use them. Don't see the point, but have created my Mii character which i'll be using soon(ish).

dude what's your friend code? you should add me, since we both follow smash tournaments I reckon we could have some good games

I actually have no idea what my code is but I'll send it your way tonight. I'm free for some games tonight if you're up for it. I play as Yoshi and Ness :)

As for the fighting, in all the Smash games so far I've much preferred the big stages where you can jump around and stuff changes (for example, Pokéfloats is literally one of my all time favourite levels) but on this game I'm the complete opposite and only really like the final destination type levels. I thought it was a weird inclusion when I first heard it, but I'm actually really glad they put FD versions of every level in now. I think a lot of it is to do with the smaller DS screen and me finidng it way harder to jump this time around.

Also kinda hating most of the items in this game. Again, they used to be my favourite aspect of most Smash games, but it's quite hard to tell what the hell is happening sometimes and I think about 50% of items are ridiculously over-powered now. Also, the bee's and cuccoo's are just annoying as fuck :p

Definitely agree on the stages. The FD style levels help keep the chaos on-screen at a manageable level. Platforms, transforming stuff and AI opponents really only serve to distract from the main action and there's barely any room for that as it is. I'm sure it'll be way easier to manage the controls and the on-screen action when the Wii U version hits.

The items are okay, but they are more unbalanced than ever and there are so many super odd ones. I still insist Smash is the most fun with items on, but I find them another distraction from the fighting on such a cramped screen. Once again I think it'll be easier to handle items when the Wii U version arrives and we have more screen space to make out what's going on.

Anybody else having a hard time unlocking the "get 3 custom outfits" challenge? Wish I had saved a hammer for that one, never thought it would be that hard/luck-based to achieve... I seriously dislike grinding for trivial things like this... :shakehead:mad:

I actually have no idea what my code is but I'll send it your way tonight. I'm free for some games tonight if you're up for it. I play as Yoshi and Ness :)

I'm free whenever, you can find my code underneath my avatar. I'm still trying out most of the characters although my favourites right now are Donkey Kong and Ganondorf.

Anybody else having a hard time unlocking the "get 3 custom outfits" challenge? Wish I had saved a hammer for that one, never thought it would be that hard/luck-based to achieve... I seriously dislike grinding for trivial things like this... :shakehead:mad:

I've read online a lot of people have been having trouble with it, I got really lucky and managed to get 3 Mii outfits quite quickly although now I can never seem to find any and when I do it's outfits I already have :( Just keep trying! You can also get custom parts from trophy rush and target blast if you want to mix things up.

Just wait for the grind for custom moves

Absolutely amazing online multiplayer session just now. :bouncy: Occasional performance issues aside, this game is simply incredible. :awesome:

Many of those fights saw me getting KO'd first, but I'd then have a ringside seat to watch @\-Dem0\- battle it out for 1st place. :hehe: You guys are insanely skilled at Smash! :bowdown:

Once again I was saving replays like there's no tomorrow. Wish I could have saved that last one on Tortimer Island, but it went on for so long it couldn't be saved!! :laughing:

Thanks for the games!

: peace:

A little thing I've noticed, when you get an assist trophy you unlock their icon to use for your online profile.

@Sprout's on another level entirely!

Still, some of my deaths tonight were insanely funny.

Twice I was spiked to the ground, bounced back off and right out of the top of the screen. Also Red's falcon punch that sent me flying into the lightning bolt item, shrunk which in turn accelerated my KO.

Sometimes I was scratching my head as to how we were alive at 200 & 300+ damage levels.

Pic Of The Day

zlCfzShMcQMkJemvhN

Pic of the day. For the first time ever in the Super Smash Bros. series, you can play with a collection of real-life trophies in the form of amiibo. Simply touch them on this part of the GamePad. This particular screen is dedicated to activating amiibo, but you can also tap your amiibo on the GamePad at the character-selection screen to let that character join the battle.

zlCfzShMcUMzLqT9mK

Once you do, the trophy of your amiibo character transforms into a Figure Player (FP)!! FPs fight and develop on their own.

Edited by Wii

@Sprout's on another level entirely!
Yeah, I do sometimes wonder if he's actually a robot. :heh:

I've never "known" someone to be consistently good at so many games. He unlocked 100% of the secret stuff in TW101, is 1st place in the N-E MK8 League, and seemingly can't be beat at Smash bros...

As if being a jolly nice chap and a fantastic artist isn't enough. :hehe:

Sometimes I was scratching my head as to how we were alive at 200 & 300+ damage levels.
Hehehe! :laughing:

That would be my fault. Yeah, I messed with the damage/launch setting in the options, so we were playing on 0.5 instead of the default 1.0. ;)

Personally I think it makes for some epic battles, but it might be also be a bit too much. The fact that the replay from the last fight I was in couldn't be saved pretty much confirms that. :D

I've been spending loads of time playing For Glory 1v1, as well as playing against Goron most nights. The first night we played, the online lag was simply horrendous, but it has definitely improved a fair amount over the weekend to the extent where it is fine around 90% of the time. You still get the occasional laggy match, but I tend to pick and choose my opponents based on connection quality to minimise the laggy-ness.

So far I've been rotating four mains - Bowser, Rosalina, Pikachu and Jiggs - but I've mostly been playing as Bowser. He's incredible. He has so many killing options. And once you're ahead, I can always quickly finish a match with the Bowser-cide. My win-loss record with him online is something like 40-10!

Rosalina is also amazing. She is like Melee Peach combined with Ice Climbers, the ultimate concoction of cheapness. Most people don't now how to play against her at this stage - I think everyone's petrified of Luma. I tend to throw Luma out ahead, and if they decide to jump over Luma and go straight for me it's usually and easy shield-grab.

Pika is my veteran main, back from the days of Smash 64. I think he's pretty decent in SSB4. He still lacks killing options, but he has some fantastic combo potential and a great edge game.

Jiggs is my troll character. I usually pick her to have fun with newbies. Rest seems pretty easy to hit in this game, although I haven't really found many decent setups for it outside of resting out of shield. I had a great match with Goron where I managed to hit two rests on his Ness, including an off-stage rest while he was doing PK Thunder.

Need to also mention the awesomeness that is Duck Hunt. The can! It is one of the best projectiles in the game, no question. And when combined with Duck Hunt's other projectiles and awesome Smashes make the duo very difficult to deal with.

I want to get good with the Captain, but I can't seem to get used to him. It's the change in aerial physics from Melee that I'm struggling with. He seems much more floaty and slow in the air. I'll have to keep practising, he's still my favourite.

Would love to play some of you guys as well at some point too.

QUESTION: Y'know all this 'customise characters!' stuff and all the powers you get - is that literally only for use in Smash Run? I like the idea of changing their powers and some seem cool but...you can't use these 'builds' outside of smash run? What?

I've got all characters and stages now, love the roster but kinda sad that Ice Climbers are gone. Sad that I didn't even notice until yesterday, too. I got quite good with them in the past games.

I think I need some of y'all friend codes to fight you guys! I've not fought anyone I know yet. I realised I'm not an expert smash player by any means despite playing this title for years. I want to blame the DS but really...it's me!

I'm finding characters like Palutena and Rosalina quite hard to get to grips with, at least initially, though my appreciation is growing. I mainly wanted to know If I could customise Palutena outside of Smash Run cause she has some wicked alternate powers.

Absolutely amazing online multiplayer session just now. :bouncy: Occasional performance issues aside, this game is simply incredible. :awesome:

Once again I was saving replays like there's no tomorrow. Wish I could have saved that last one on Tortimer Island, but it went on for so long it couldn't be saved!! :laughing:

Thanks for the games!

: peace:

Man, those online sessions sound incredible :D. Is there any chance for me to join in one day? Could I just add you to my friend list? I'm usually online every evening/night (as I can't put the game down!), and am itching for some friend battles. I'm located in Norway though, so we should see if there are any lag issues.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will smash onto the scene on 5th December!

10711043_709423345799069_4159374859385705176_n.jpg?oh=b369a34202ddbf49e29faada94150a67&oe=54AA724F

10678793_709423332465737_4933575556021932051_n.jpg?oh=19d7c850d99d0af0c4d2c9bf0a0ea4e0&oe=54AAF392&__gda__=1420625947_7783255f040db3afd34c0df38e600615

The first 12 amiibo figurines launch on November 28. A further six amiibo will launch on December 19.

@Dcubed I believe you need this:

dead_crow_cake_00314185507_std1.225142448_std.jpg

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

Wow, a final release date is great, even if I was hoping for mid-November :p Really surprised they didn't announce this in a Nintendo Direct

QUESTION: Y'know all this 'customise characters!' stuff and all the powers you get - is that literally only for use in Smash Run? I like the idea of changing their powers and some seem cool but...you can't use these 'builds' outside of smash run? What?

I don't have the game, but what I've heard was that you can't use customizations when fighting strangers online. Only locally, or against friends.

I could be wrong on that, so it would be lovely if someone could confirm this.

America gets it November 21st.

And December 6th in Japan

Amiibo batch 2 on December 18th

BzVyEunIAAE1-kK.png

Just announced via PR:

7th October 2014 - Strong launches in Europe, the Americas and Australia* have propelled the cumulative sales total for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS to more than 2.8 million worldwide. This first-ever portable instalment of the game has resonated with fans and critics alike, and its initial sales set Nintendo up for a strong Christmas season.

Good job

Well, looks like it was the 21st as a lot of us assumed after all!

Shame that's not the same date for Europe, reconfirming that Nintendo are delaying Pokemon for a week for no real reason :P