NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

To be fair, it's not like being in the USA is suddenly a thing which would prevent lag. The USA is huge. If a person in California was fighting a person in New York, that would require a constant connection traversing almost 3000 miles. Assuming no lag on any of the server hops and instant speed of light travel, that'd take around 0.016 seconds. That may not seem much, but when you factor that in, going both ways continually, with server hops at different speeds along with the processing, it would result in the lag.

That's the equivalent of someone in the UK playing with someone in Kazakhstan. True story.

All fair points. Definitely not suggesting just being in USA would prevent lag, sorry if that came across that way. I was more noting that some people playing with 3 others in their own region experienced problems too.

Since I mentioned the video, might as well post it up so people can take a look and draw their own conclusions.

@Mike. Who are you reviewing the game for?

NEO Magazine, although the fact that we got the review code just a few days after our last issue's deadline means that it won't be published for another five weeks or so, in the next issue! Will probably show up online at some point too.

Just unlocked all the characters and stages - really great roster overall. I've also been enjoying going through my trophy vault (102 so far), which is a great place to see some 'pop out the screen' 3D, if you zoom in and rotate the trophies in a certain way.

Just unlocked all the characters and stages - really great roster overall. I've also been enjoying going through my trophy vault (102 so far), which is a great place to see some 'pop out the screen' 3D, if you zoom in and rotate the trophies in a certain way.
What's your playtime so far?

You pick a character out of many. You fight. Someone wins by defeating the other guy. At the core, it is a fighting game.

The engine in which it works is different (you control characters as though you're in a platforming game), but the fundamental goal is the same. Nothing wrong in acknowledging it is unlike most other fighting games, but it is a fighting game nonetheless.

Just like other "different" fighting games, like Last Blade, Power Stone and the WWE videogames. A genre is not defined by its physics engine.

Well, it is worrisome that gaming journalism grows so untrustworthy. When reviewers don't bother to research a major release from a major gaming company, and get basic information about it wrong (one that involves another major release from the same company, no less), well, what does that say about the industry in general?

It doesn't affect us directly or immediately, but it is one more straw on the camel's back.

I can see the frustration. My once-favourite gaming magazine once said that Pit was an original character created just for Brawl.

Absolutely agree with you. I am sorry, but when it comes to fighting games for me, most of the ones I know are the kind where you have to learn special moves by tapping buttons in a certain order, and having to memorize that can ruin the game for me. My friend bought a Tekken game for the Wii U and we have no idea how to figure it out, so we just mash buttons and that's it.

This is what I love about Smash Bros, it's a fighting game where you are IN CONTROL of what attacks you can use, or overall what moves you can use to have a good strategy against the others.

About journalism, I find it SO SAD that some people believe in other people's opinions, before the readers try it out first.

I can understand that some people have a limited amount of money and therefore do some research before buying a game, but there is no reason to be so extremely critical. There should always be a balance between what's good and bad about a game.

What's your playtime so far?

Just short of 12 hours so far, which, incidentally, puts it just above Super Pokémon Rumble and below The Denpa Men in my 3DS log, in 27th place. :)

Probably should have brought this up earlier but this is a thing on Sunday that I'm thinking of going to - may be of interest to any London or other EGX folks(it's come up in the thread for that in GG) - Murr and Dcubed may be in attendance. I, Marcamillian and whoever else decides to come in my car likely to be there.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xRg5TdoNiHmXQbU2qRYIuaYKgOUkOlA3H4e5NV2iM9c/edit

Just pointing out I'll be at this with Marcamillian and another mate in a few hours, if anyone local/in the area is interested coming by. Expecting to get our arses thoroughly handed to use but hoping to see what people are about and learn some things about the local scene as it were too.

zlCfzSfhotABeWNli0

Pic of the day. For the 3DS version, you can select alternate tracks for stages by holding down the R Button while you select the stage--the brown drop shadow that frames the stage image when you hold down the R Button indicates the alternate track is active. For the Living Room stage, the alternate track is the vocal version of the default track. Songs with vocals aren't the best match for battles, but the song was too good to leave out, so this is how we chose to include it.

zlCfzSfhqT8Q2azgQd

Also, For the Boxing Ring, if you select the stage while holding down the L Button, you can play on the Smash Bros. version of the stage. If you hold down the Y Button, you can choose to play on the Punch Out! version. These variations are usually selected at random, but this method lets you select them manually.

Edited by Serebii

Pic of the day. For the 3DS version, you can select alternate tracks for stages by holding down the R Button while you select the stage--the brown drop shadow that frames the stage image when you hold down the R Button indicates the alternate track is active. For the Living Room stage, the alternate track is the vocal version of the default track. Songs with vocals aren't the best match for battles, but the song was too good to leave out, so this is how we chose to include it.

zlCfzSfhotABeWNli0

Also, For the Boxing Ring, if you select the stage while holding down the L Button, you can play on the Smash Bros. version of the stage. If you hold down the Y Button, you can choose to play on the Punch Out! version. These variations are usually selected at random, but this method lets you select them manually.

zlCfzSfhqT8Q2azgQd

Edited by Wii

Hard to believe that I'll actually be playing a brand new Smash Bros game by the end of the week! :bouncy:

That's enough of your bragging. Us console only folk don't take kindly to that kind of lip. :p

That's enough of your bragging. Us console only folk don't take kindly to that kind of lip. :p

You console only folk are also only going to get half the stages, half the modes, half the trophies and half of the whole Smash Bros 4 experience that us people who are buying both will get :p

So I haven't yet 100% decided if I'm gonna get the 3DS version, but if I were to decide to do so, where would be best to order it from?

So I haven't yet 100% decided if I'm gonna get the 3DS version, but if I were to decide to do so, where would be best to order it from?

Shopto. It's the best place to use for everything 99% of the time!

Some people have been playing the English version for over a week :heh:.

Some people have been playing the English version for over a week :heh:.

Don't I know and all the new members that joined the forums asking for a demo code for their brother and haven't been seen since, the dirty yolks.

So I've decided to get the 3DS version after all and I'll order it from ShopTo. Initially I was against it as I wouldn't play it once the Wii U version was out but I guess I could always trade it in towards the Wii U+GC Controller bundle.

Just had a look at my ShopTo pre order page, it says

Processing: Sep 29, 2014

Shipping: Oct 1, 2014

Do you reckon I have a chance of getting the game on Wednesday? :D

Just had a look at my ShopTo pre order page, it says

Processing: Sep 29, 2014

Shipping: Oct 1, 2014

Do you reckon I have a chance of getting the game on Wednesday? :D

It's possible. I have had Shopto deliveries come on a Wednesday before...

I reckon that they'll probably hold out for a delivery on Thursday though, since this is a high profile game with tons of people buying it, it'll probably take a bit of time to process everyone.

It's possible. I have had Shopto deliveries come on a Wednesday before...

I reckon that they'll probably hold out for a delivery on Thursday though, since this is a high profile game with tons of people buying it, it'll probably take a bit of time to process everyone.

Yeah, they'll ship Wednesday.

Latest Smash Bros. 3DS glitch turns players into giants. CPU player starts out as regular Yoshi and ends as Godzilla. You need to play as Yoshi and continually lay eggs.

Latest Smash Bros. 3DS glitch turns players into giants. CPU player starts out as regular Yoshi and ends as Godzilla. You need to play as Yoshi and continually lay eggs.

In no way is that computer a regular sized Yoshi at the start... Show me this working in a normal match against a normal sized opponent.

But I know that's beside the point, still an odd little glitch.

It only works on giant opponents. The last one in 10-man-Smash is always a giant version of your character.

VSFP3Oi.jpg