NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

Might actually like Villager more than Pikachu this time around.

Pika is a little hard to control on the 3DS, but Villager feels like a great cross between Ness's floaty jump and Game and Watch's troll attacks.

Mario is also a beast, wow. Link is... Link? That running sword jump is brutal though. Only Megaman feels kinda lame from the demo roster, love the orbs that shoot out when he dies though.

Dangit, bad timing for a weekend trip, no internet for two days. Then when I do get me some connection I see 6 new pages in the smash thread and all this demo code talk...

Checking mail: nope, of course no codes... :cry:

Why man? Please detail exactly whats wrong with the 3DS version. Is the screen too small for a full on brawl? Do you have an XL?...:(

Ignoring my general lack of enjoyment (which is more down to me than the quality of the game), I do think that the screen is too small for a game like this. Ive got an XL and I just didnt think it worked as well as when its on a TV.

Holy crap this game is slick on 3DS! :o

Really amazed by how good the 3DS version looks and more importantly, how well it plays. icon14.gif

I always thought smash attacks would be weird with the Circle Pad, but it's actually alright. :)

(pretty sure this game will see me breaking my 3DS at some point though :heh:)

Only thing that's messing me up control-wise at the moment is how you can only grab with the L Button, and I always use Z on the GCN pad, so would've preferred to use the R Button on 3DS.

Got the nintendog assist trophy earlier, sooooooo good in 3D. :D

I'm officially on board the hype train for Smash 3DS now, bring it on! :yay:

Demo's out like...next week right? I'll wait til then.

Demo folks - can you please tell me what the shoulder buttons(particularly R) are used for? Are they both equivalent? I never guard with L, but I might have to unless I actually pull my finger out and find my bits then send this 3DS off soon.

Holy crap this game is slick on 3DS! :o

Really amazed by how good the 3DS version looks and more importantly, how well it plays. icon14.gif

I always thought smash attacks would be weird with the Circle Pad, but it's actually alright. :)

(pretty sure this game will see me breaking my 3DS at some point though :heh:)

Only thing that's messing me up control-wise at the moment is how you can only grab with the L Button, and I always use Z on the GCN pad, so would've preferred to use the R Button on 3DS.

Got the nintendog assist trophy earlier, sooooooo good in 3D. :D

I'm officially on board the hype train for Smash 3DS now, bring it on! :yay:

Yup! Plays like a dream, but the first thing I'm doing when I get the full game is swapping the L&R buttons, cause having dodge on R and grab on L is super awkward!

Who the hell thought that was a good idea to have as the default!? :nono:

Demo's out like...next week right? I'll wait til then.

Demo folks - can you please tell me what the shoulder buttons(particularly R) are used for? Are they both equivalent? I never guard with L, but I might have to unless I actually pull my finger out and find my bits then send this 3DS off soon.

L is grab, R is shield/dodge

Yup! Plays like a dream
Yeah, can't believe how well they pulled it off. :)

It seems like this game (even just the demo) is killing the 3DS hardware though, such a huge delay after pressing the Home button and when closing the software too.

By the way, what's up with Mario's down B? I want spin attack damnit, not fludd. icon13.gif

Can't remember if that was already changed in Brawl or not (think it might have been :blank:) I've played 64/Melee waaaay more.

I see you can still do the spin with down A, but only in mid-air. :(

It seems like this game (even just the demo) is killing the 3DS hardware though, such a huge delay after pressing the Home button and when closing the software too.

By the way, what's up with Mario's down B? I want spin attack damnit, not fludd. icon13.gif

Can't remember if that was already changed in Brawl or not (think it might have been :blank:) I've played 64/Melee waaaay more.

It was Fludd in Brawl, too

So can anyone tell me when this demo is out for anyone without codes? I heard next week but can't find a confirmation.

I also have to think these codes are very clever on Nintendo's part for a bit of market research, send out X amount of codes, see how many are redeemed and in what time frame. I know they know that Smash is going to be big, but this is a bit of a pre-market guage and might also let them later compare actual sales(assuming they track those, potentially via stars registration but not everyone does those) vs demo downloads.

I'd just like to say a big thank you to @Phube, @RedShell, @VsPhoenix, @f00had for generously offering me a spare Super Smash Bros Special Demo code. :)

I have redeemed Red's as it was already in the PM and I would like to pass on the code VsPhoenix gave me to my younger brother if that's OK with you? He's a big Smash fan too so I'm sure he'd want in on the action, he's also a member of the forum too for what it's worth though he doesn't post here much now.

Phube and f00had please feel free to give your spare codes out to anyone else who needs them but thank you again for the offer as I appreciate it. :D

I will ask all members of my family who have a Club Nintendo account to check their e-mail later - didn't get a chance last night as I only found out late after work - but if they have spare codes then I'll be sure to offer them here in return. : peace:

I have redeemed Red's as it was already in the PM and I would like to pass on the code VsPhoenix gave me to my younger brother if that's OK with you? He's a big Smash fan too so I'm sure he'd want in on the action, he's also a member of the forum too for what it's worth though he doesn't post here much now.

That's fine with me. Enjoy! :grin:

Already got a code, but my mate would really love one.

If anyone has a spare code I'd do unspeakable things. : peace:

Yeah, it really is. The game is actually running in a special mode which unlocks a big chunk of memory and CPU cycles that are normally reserved for system functions. That's why you can't launch Miiverse or the web browser while you're playing the game (and also why the system has to hard reset after you quit the game).

Completely justified when you see how good it looks and runs on there! There's a good reason why only the New3DS can handle those functions while running the game (and also probably why they can't support the Circle Pad Pro if they're that strapped for memory...)

I wonder if they'll do something similar and shut off something on Wii U like multi tabbed web browsing to squeeze out more memory there too...

Down B was FLUDD in Brawl, but the tornado move can be brought back by the customisable moves I believe :)

Just sent my final code to drahkon, now I'm all gone :D

I've only just realised I haven't tried Villager yet in the demo, I've been too busy trying out the old characters and seeing their changes. Mario's cape is WAY better now, when you turn people around it also sends them away a bit so it's really good for preventing people from grabbing ledges.

Fucking stunned. Plays ridiculously well. As I mentioned earlier, I would like to play more but I just can't with the button layout, but I am STUNNED at how well it plays. The graphics are staggeringly good (for the 3DS) even on the XL. Buttons feel fine/good (apart from layout). The only possible flaw I could give is I am not a huge fan of the percentage showing on bottom screen but it's negligible.

Blown away. I mean....definitely need this now, so just hope the Wii U version has enough different/new stuff to still feel good. Regardless, I'll play through both of course.

Can't wait to play more with all the characters.

Also feels way closer to Melee than Brawl to me.

Apparently you can customise a lot in the full game. Percentages can go up on the top screen if you want.

Something I found really helped me on the demo was tapping a player on the touch screen to focus on them, even myself at times.

The action does sometimes get too hectic for the XL though and the system is being killed by this game. Definitely justifies why they need the suped up hardware for future games.

Had a quick blast on it with all characters just before I have to leave for work but... feels good man! :D

Thanks again for your kindness forum and enjoy the demo if you've got most of today to play. : peace:

Ugh, so, I hate hate HATE begging...but if anyone has an EU code I'd be incredibly grateful. I have some good IV Pokémon, if that's any incentive...