NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

I don't think anyone would choose Smash 3DS over Wii U. The release schedule is clearly strategic to get everyone desperate to play to buy the inferior 3DS version and then double dip with Wii U in a few months. It's borderline disgusting, but we're all tools who will fall right into Nintendo's trap with barely a complaint.

we're all tools who will fall right into Nintendo's trap with barely a complaint.

Pretty much this. I probably wouldn't even consider the 3DS version if it was later than the Wii U version.

I don't think anyone would choose Smash 3DS over Wii U. The release schedule is clearly strategic to get everyone desperate to play to buy the inferior 3DS version and then double dip with Wii U in a few months. It's borderline disgusting, but we're all tools who will fall right into Nintendo's trap with barely a complaint.

I would. And I resent the implication that I'm so blind as to fall into a "trap" of some kind.

I don't have internet access where I live, so that's a non-issue for me.

As far as I can see, 3DS has more that appeals to me compared to the WiiU. More interesting stages, portability and City Trial: Smash Edition completely smack WiiU off of the stage. Which only has prettier graphics (Another non-issue for me, my TV is pretty damn small.) and more music.

So unless something genuinely different shows up for the WiiU version, it's very likely I'd rather have the 3DS version.

There's a post on Gaf that people are using that sums up how they feel about the lack of online in Smash Run mode.

Smash Run being local only, and the fact Gema had 1,400 street passes - the maximum possible - says to me things are just different in Japan. People are in closer proximity, population is denser, and there is no reason for online.

Whereas in America it is basically unfeasible to play local multiplayer unless you already know a specific group of friends. I've had a 3DS since launch and take it with me everywhere - including the toll booth I work at that sees thousands of vacation goers a day pass through - and I have 200 Miis in my plaza.

I will never, unless I drive to somebody's house and sit down with them with the express interest in playing Smash Run, ever be able to play Smash Run with another person.

Hits the nail on the head for me.

You would think that Nintendo would know just how different it is over here in the West, especially when you consider they had to install Streetpass hubs around the country just so people could get puzzle pieces.

I really am gutted I won't get to enjoy this mode with my mates.

Accidentally hit stream rather than preview so for 15 minutes, people were listening to me type. Oops.

2 and a half hours until I begin streaming.

There's a post on Gaf that people are using that sums up how they feel about the lack of online in Smash Run mode.

Hits the nail on the head for me.

You would think that Nintendo would know just how different it is over here in the West, especially when you consider they had to install Streetpass hubs around the country just so people could get puzzle pieces.

I really am gutted I won't get to enjoy this mode with my mates.

As Dan Adelman said in this weeks RFN episode, every decision from Nintendo comes from Japan and, as with the Gamepad and it's focus on off-TV play (which is a big deal in Japan as households only tend to have 1-2 TV's), their decisions aren't focused on where the majority of their fans are (i.e. the West). It's an afterthought, unfortunately.

I doubt I'll ever play Smash Run with anyone tbh, unless @Zell expresses an interest in playing it. Very odd decision as the 3DS version was supposed to be the single player version whereas the Wii U version of the game was the traditional party game; why make the 3DS Exclusive mode local multiplayer only?

Accidentally hit stream rather than preview so for 15 minutes, people were listening to me type. Oops.

That's what the other thread is for.

Other thread dude.

As Dan Adelman said in this weeks RFN episode, every decision from Nintendo comes from Japan and, as with the Gamepad and it's focus on off-TV play (which is a big deal in Japan as households only tend to have 1-2 TV's), their decisions aren't focused on where the majority of their fans are (i.e. the West). It's an afterthought, unfortunately.

I doubt I'll ever play Smash Run with anyone tbh, unless @Zell expresses an interest in playing it. Very odd decision as the 3DS version was supposed to be the single player version whereas the Wii U version of the game was the traditional party game; why make the 3DS Exclusive mode local multiplayer only?

Yeah. It's been said before but they need to get their head out of the sand and realise there are other countries in the world.

I met Zell last night for the first time while playing Destiny. Good bloke and enjoyed the banter with him and the rest of the N-E faithful.

I would. And I resent the implication that I'm so blind as to fall into a "trap" of some kind.

I don't have internet access where I live, so that's a non-issue for me.

As far as I can see, 3DS has more that appeals to me compared to the WiiU. More interesting stages, portability and City Trial: Smash Edition completely smack WiiU off of the stage. Which only has prettier graphics (Another non-issue for me, my TV is pretty damn small.) and more music.

So unless something genuinely different shows up for the WiiU version, it's very likely I'd rather have the 3DS version.

I think the most crucial aspect is the controls. Or certainly that's my main reason for being unsure about the 3DS version, whilst the WiiU game is a day 1.

TBH, I call 'stupid' on anyone whos actually planning on getting both. Why? Its the same game. No amount of desperation should force you to buy two 99% identical games in the space of two months.

For me, its the 3DS version solely because its the first one to release. Though Smash is always great, I remember the boredom and repetition of unlocking stuff ie using every character to do the classic mode - The game isn't emaculate enough to warrant two purchases imo.

RELAX. DON'T DO IT... WHEN YOU WANT TO... CUM....(or however that song goes.) :p

The trouble is, if it's just me and you playing, then we would definitely prefer to just play regular Smash. Smash Run seems more geared towards a 4 player party vibe. I can see us playing it once and then being done with it.

Yeah. It's been said before but they need to get their head out of the sand and realise there are other countries in the world.

I met Zell last night for the first time while playing Destiny. Good bloke and enjoyed the banter with him and the rest of the N-E faithful.

Enjoyed it too mate, had loads of fun last night. I know I'm going a bit off-topic here, but Destiny has been a great platform for me to meet and play with loads of N-Europers that I have only conversed with online. It truly is a social playing experience, and one that is only possible through the use of headsets, party chat and game lobbies.

Ah so you're the one in charge of Nintendo's live streaming during E3? ;)

Do we know what the single player is like in the Wii U version? Is there a story mode?

We'll this is shocking. Apparently you can't upload pics of this game on Miiverse using the standard 3DS but you can using the New 3DS. This is bang out of order if true.

Update: Works on New 3DS only – Smash Bros. 3DS doesn’t support Miiverse on 3DS

miiverse-smash.jpg

Update: Miiverse can be used when playing Smash Bros. on a New 3DS unit. It won’t work on regular 3DS models due to insufficient memory.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

At the moment, there’s no Miiverse support for Super Smash Bros. 3DS. There’s simply no way of posting to Nintendo’s social network currently. Whether or not this will change in the future remains to be seen!

http://nintendoeverything.com/smash-bros-3ds-doesnt-support-miiverse-currently/

that won't be a problem for Japan who get the new 3DS when the game comes out (or there abouts) and since nintendo are doing a global launch of the new 3DS at the same time it won't be a problem for anyone else outside of japan will it....

oh yeah we have to wait until "2015" for a new 3DS....so basically miiiverse smash is shut down outside of japan...no fun allowed go home non Japs

TBH, I call 'stupid' on anyone whos actually planning on getting both. Why? Its the same game. No amount of desperation should force you to buy two 99% identical games in the space of two months.

For me, its the 3DS version solely because its the first one to release. Though Smash is always great, I remember the boredom and repetition of unlocking stuff ie using every character to do the classic mode - The game isn't emaculate enough to warrant two purchases imo.

RELAX. DON'T DO IT... WHEN YOU WANT TO... CUM....(or however that song goes.) :p

They're not the same game. They each have completely different stages and special modes that are unique to each game. Not to mention different trophies, different music etc.

That's like saying that the Mario Golf/Tennis games on GBC/GBA are the same games as the ones released on N64 & GCN!

Update: Works on New 3DS only – Smash Bros. 3DS doesn’t support Miiverse on 3DS

Well that's interesting... I had a feeling that Smash 3DS looked too good for the console it was running on...

Turns out I was right! And it's also interesting that developers can disable those features now to save on RAM & CPU cycles. I suspect that this will become quite common with 3DS games from now on...

Now I'm EVEN MORE annoyed that the New3DS isn't coming out here until next year! :mad:

They're not the same game. They each have completely different stages and special modes that are unique to each game. Not to mention different trophies, different music etc.

That's like saying that the Mario Golf/Tennis games on GBC/GBA are the same games as the ones released on N64 & GCN!

Well that's interesting... I had a feeling that Smash 3DS looked too good for the console it was running on...

Turns out I was right! And it's also interesting that developers can disable those features now to save on RAM & CPU cycles. I suspect that this will become quite common with 3DS games from now on...

Now I'm EVEN MORE annoyed that the New3DS isn't coming out here until next year! :mad:

Tomatoes - tomatoes. Still not worth a dual purchase. (imo).

Adding to my earlier post, this is the translated text from Miiverse:

"Miiverse cannot be run while this software is being played, so posting screenshots to this community is not possible. When using this software with the New Nintendo 3DS or New Nintendo 3DS XL, Miiverse can be used while playing."