NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

Soooo... I'm in the minority of people one who sees this as pretty cool?

You've got to hand it to the Rayman team, they really don't do things by halves.

Which is super ironic, considering they're owned by Ubisoft...

(I'm right in thinking it was Ubisoft's fault Legends took so long to release and not the guys who made the game, aren't I? Something about them being forced to hold off on the WiiU Release until the PS3 and 360 one's were finished?)

Yeah it was Ubisoft's fault, the developers worked overtime for loads of months to make the game ready for February then at the last second Ubisoft told them all they were delaying it to port it to PS3 and 360 and everything else under the sun. Part of the reason for that though is because Microsoft have this ridiculous contract saying if you release a game on another console before Xbox you're not allowed to port your game onto there later.

Not really feeling Rayman's blow job face. Cool he got a trophy though!

Not really feeling Rayman's blow job face. Cool he got a trophy though!

Eh? What are you on about?

zlCfzSKfcbgPaO3izM

Oh, god damnit! It's all I can see now. Thanks SOOOO much!

Actually think it's kinda cool that Rayman trophy. Ubisoft have supported the Wii U pretty well since launch (even if you ignore their recent comments and happenings) so playable or not, it may simply be Nintendo's way of saying thank you for all the support.

I do suspect though, like others, that he is going to be playable. Just would be extremely odd to have a 3rd party character appear as a trophy only like that. Does most likely mean there'll be some form of Rabbids making their way into the game, either as a trophy, assist trophy or as part of Rayman's Final Smash. Could be rather interesting.

If he is playable, that'd make it 4 third party characters, all of them mascots of their respective publishers if you think about it. Do we think this will be the last of the 3rd party fighters or do we think that Square-Enix or someone will see a character included? *fans the flames for hopes of Crono*

@drahkon - Oh I'd love to see Kalas in there! As much as I'd love Shulk and some Xenoblade love, if pushed I'd say I like Baten Kaitos more. Can see his Final Smash already, just like the big twist in that game's story :grin: Oh please make it happen Sakurai!!! Probably won't but would be amazing.

Actually think it's kinda cool that Rayman trophy. Ubisoft have supported the Wii U pretty well since launch (even if you ignore their recent comments and happenings) so playable or not, it may simply be Nintendo's way of saying thank you for all the support.

I do suspect though, like others, that he is going to be playable. Just would be extremely odd to have a 3rd party character appear as a trophy only like that. Does most likely mean there'll be some form of Rabbids making their way into the game, either as a trophy, assist trophy or as part of Rayman's Final Smash. Could be rather interesting.

If he is playable, that'd make it 4 third party characters, all of them mascots of their respective publishers if you think about it. Do we think this will be the last of the 3rd party fighters or do we think that Square-Enix or someone will see a character included? *fans the flames for hopes of Crono*

@drahkon - Oh I'd love to see Kalas in there! As much as I'd love Shulk and some Xenoblade love, if pushed I'd say I like Baten Kaitos more. Can see his Final Smash already, just like the big twist in that game's story :grin: Oh please make it happen Sakurai!!! Probably won't but would be amazing.

If so, we need Konami and Bomberman for the set to be complete.

I'm not really sure I like the idea of Chrom or Shulk, or Crono, or Simon Belmont. The more human characters just don't seem to fit into Smash Bros. Link & Zelda just about fit because they're legacy. Marth & Ike are borderline, Snake just didn't fit. It just doesn't sit right with me, so I'm personally opposed to adding too many like that.

Edited by Serebii

It's exactly because of that I think Rayman is as good as deconfirmed. Yeah, it would be nice to have a character that works around disjointed hitboxes, but like Wonder Red before this, trophy picture = no chance at playable.

And let's not forget that model is not even made by the Smash Team, so unless the Rayman team made an entire set of models for Sakurai and friends to use, I doubt this is going to be anything more.

I'm not really sure I like the idea of Chrom or Shulk, or Crono, or Simon Belmont. The more human characters just don't seem to fit into Smash Bros. Link & Zelda just about fit because they're legacy. Marth & Ike are borderline, Snake just didn't fit. It just doesn't sit right with me, so I'm personally opposed to adding too many like that.

I know it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But I can't shake the feeling you're missing the point a bit. I think characters like the Fire Emblem dudes and even Snake fit just fine in Smash. As long as they have something to do with Nintendo, I think it's fair game.

It is a celebration of Nintendo after all. Snake had his humble beginnings on the NES. So did Mega Man. Sonic might as well be a Ninty character these days.

Pac-Man, oddly enough, might be the character that is closest to borderline for me. He still fits in, Pac-Man has had more than a few outings on Ninty consoles and is the perfect representation of the arcade era. Which Ninty were a big part of.

Marth & Ike are borderline, Snake just didn't fit. It just doesn't sit right with me, so I'm personally opposed to adding too many like that.

Yeah I agree. Marth and Ike are enough "human-esque" characters for me. Snake was alright, but I definitely won't miss him.

That's the thing. Nintendo's characters are varied. They aren't human versus human every time, and that's a big part what makes Super Smash Bros. so diverse and fun.

I just don't want to see several more human characters who punch, kick and use a sword.

That's the thing. Nintendo's characters are varied. They aren't human versus human every time, and that's a big part what makes Super Smash Bros. so diverse and fun.

I just don't want to see several more human characters who punch, kick and use a sword.

OK, granted, there are a lot of sword users in Smash. But most of the newcomers in this Smash seem to be chosen because of a new mechanic they can bring. (Rosalina's Luma, Palutena's and the Mii's incredibly customisable movesets, Little Mac's K.O Meter and Mega Man's reliance on projectiles) Which I think is more important than who the characters are.

It really says something when the most normal fighter seems to be Pac-Man!

Ah, so Samus, Captain Falcon and Pit aren't human, then? :heh:

But seriously, in the past we've had games with two pink spheres, two yellow mice, three italian plumbers, two baseball kids, two fire-breathing monsters, three space animals, and now, two Blue Ninjas and three princesses. And yet, the roster never really felt same-y because of them.

The humans' movesets are varied, and the characters look and feel different (Ike, Pit, Link and Marth have very different movesets, despite all of them wielding swords), and Snake brings as much variety as anybody else (if not more) because he is still different than anybody else on the roster. You know, much like Samus, Donkey Kong, ROB... and his body proportions shouldn't really make a difference.

And recently, we saw the debut of Wii Fit Trainer, Palutena and Little Mac, are you going to tell me they're not varied because they're human? And what about Villager and Megaman, whose body proportions are similar to Mario or Ness?

Just saying, it's a shallow argument. Like saying all sword-wielders feel the same.

Ah, so Samus, Captain Falcon and Pit aren't human, then? :heh:

But seriously, in the past we've had games with two pink spheres, two yellow mice, three italian plumbers, two baseball kids, two fire-breathing monsters, three space animals, and now, two Blue Ninjas and three princesses. And yet, the roster never really felt same-y because of them.

The humans' movesets are varied, and the characters look and feel different (Ike, Pit, Link and Marth have very different movesets, despite all of them wielding swords), and Snake brings as much variety as anybody else (if not more) because he is still different than anybody else on the roster. You know, much like Samus, Donkey Kong, ROB... and his body proportions shouldn't really make a difference.

And recently, we saw the debut of Wii Fit Trainer, Palutena and Little Mac, are you going to tell me they're not varied because they're human? And what about Villager and Megaman, whose body proportions are similar to Mario or Ness?

Just saying, it's a shallow argument. Like saying all sword-wielders feel the same.

They have massive twists, but based on the history of Shulk, Chrom etc., they have no twists akin to them.

And for the record, I was apathetic about the inclusion of Little Mac

If so, we need Konami and Bomberman for the set to be complete.

Konami can f#ck off. Have they even released a single Wii U game?

They have massive twists, but based on the history of Shulk, Chrom etc., they have no twists akin to them.

On the surface, Shulk seems like a run-of-the-mill swordsman with a cool laser sword.

It's the fact that he can get visions of the future that makes him stand out. It wasn't just a plot device, it actually happened in fights, in real-time. It warned you of attacks that would decimate you and gave you a chance to prepare yourself.

That alone could make him unique to Smash, especially on the separate screens of the 3DS version! Think of the mind games you could play! (Assuming they use a system similar to what I'm thinking, and also assuming that he's even in Smash in the first place)

EDIT: The wait is actually starting to make me a bit fidgety now. Bloody Smash hype...

Edited by Glen-i

My guess is Ridley. There was a statue of Ridley in a stage of this game. Palutena had a similar statue and what happened?

Oh god, I fired up Brawl on my Wii U on Sunday and had to use a wiimote and nunchuck. It felt like playing with all the controls reversed and underwater and backwards. Awful. Definitely going to have to get a GameCube controller adapter.

Robin!? WOAH!

Was not expecting an actual magic user to get in!

Oh, and Lucina! Kinda expected.

It hinted that Chrom seems to be in, but as an Assist Trophy.

Now, will everyone shut up about Captain Falcon?

Holy F ing awesome! Robin? Lucina? Who the hell cares? It's all about Captain Falcon!

Falcon Punch!!!

TNs78LY.jpg

Edited by Wii

BUBUBUBUT THE LEAK!!! FIVE FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERS!?

AWESOME!! :D I love how they implemented the weapon breaking mechanic into Robin/My Avatar's moveset!

I've noticed that Chrom is Robin's Final Smash. There's your pair-up! And you all thought Lucina would get that...

I think the Rayman trophy is pretty cool - Ubisoft have done more for WiiU than a lot of the big boys and the fact they even went to those lengths with the model data for the trophy is something I like to see.

On the surface, Shulk seems like a run-of-the-mill swordsman with a cool laser sword.

It's the fact that he can get visions of the future that makes him stand out. It wasn't just a plot device, it actually happened in fights, in real-time. It warned you of attacks that would decimate you and gave you a chance to prepare yourself.

That alone could make him unique to Smash, especially on the separate screens of the 3DS version! Think of the mind games you could play! (Assuming they use a system similar to what I'm thinking, and also assuming that he's even in Smash in the first place)

EDIT: The wait is actually starting to make me a bit fidgety now. Bloody Smash hype...

Prepare yourself! What game is she even from, FE?

As for Shulk, tbh I mostly want him just for the english voice acting :p

BUBUBUBUT THE LEAK!!! FIVE FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERS!?

AWESOME!! :D I love how they implemented the weapon breaking mechanic into Robin/My Avatar's moveset!

4. Chrom isn't playable. He's Robin's Final Smash.

As for Shulk, tbh I mostly want him just for the english voice acting :p

That's a perfectly acceptable reason.

Edited by Glen-i
Automerged Doublepost