NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

Never tried Smash Bros games before, but I do enjoy solid fighting games (especially 2D - KoF!) and beat'em ups (Golden Axe!) - do you think this could be something for me? Are single player modes solid?

Note I am not really into myriad of nintendo charaacters, never been a hardcore nintendo guy (e.g. can't stand pokemon games, and don't think Zelda games are that outstanding - though I do enjoy Mario Kart Wii and Fire Emblem quite a lot!).

Smash is and always was unlike anything else I had ever played. It's really hard to therefore tell someone whether or not they'd like it - it's too unique to explain in some respects.

How much do you know about it? Each character essentially has 4 'special' moves - simply performed with directions and button(so up, down, left/right, neutral), then you have similar for 'normal' attacks - if done right on the direction it's a more powerful attack called a smash attack, which can be charged. There's grab+throws as well. Then there's items and stuff too. It's 4 players on a screen/stage, it can be simple or it can be complex.

And none of that explanation does it any justice, either. I have generally found the single player modes to be fairly robust and solid though - similar/repetative with the variety brought by the characters. Ususally certain things need to be done to unlock new characters too, so that gives some motivation to play.

That idea of having final destination stages for each location is so genius. That idea never crossed my mind, but what a great idea it is. I don't like scrolling stages nor am I particularly fond of multiple levels. I just want somewhere flat, in a familiar location, with pretty visuals.

The FD versions are so simple yet effective - though I hope I can(if wanted) still put items on or maybe environmental effects(possibly). It'd be nice to have the option, at least. I can def see myself enjoying a faceoff on different stages for the different music and visuals though, possibly spending most of my time in that there Gerudo Valley :p

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Never tried Smash Bros games before, but I do enjoy solid fighting games (especially 2D - KoF!) and beat'em ups (Golden Axe!) - do you think this could be something for me? Are single player modes solid?

Note I am not really into myriad of nintendo charaacters, never been a hardcore nintendo guy (e.g. can't stand pokemon games, and don't think Zelda games are that outstanding - though I do enjoy Mario Kart Wii and Fire Emblem quite a lot!).

If you like 2D fighting games, you should definitely try Smash Bros at one point. Melee is a better fit for fighting game fans, while Brawl feels slower and is better fit for quick matches and mindless multiplayer sessions. The game(s) that are coming out are still an unknown, but it's a safe bet to say that fighting game fans will be pleased.

Smash Bros. works like a fighting game running on a platformer/beat'em up engine, and it works really well. Every character has the same inputs for all of their moves, so it's easy to get into, but the roster is still varied and unique.

Melee and Brawl have robust single-player modes, but we don't know about this game yet.

If you aren't a Nintendo fan, that's okay. Even if the collectables are meaningless to you, the core game should still be worth your time.

I love fighting games and I also love Smash Bros. My favourite fighting game is probably Street Fighter Alpha 3 or King of Fighters 98 and my favourite beat em up is Streets of Rage 2. When I first played Smash Bros I wasn't the biggest Nintendo fan around since I was raised on Sega - the only series I liked were Mario and Donkey Kong. That didn't stop me from enjoying the game however and it also helped me learn about the other Nintendo series and appreciate them. The characters are really diverse and I don't play the games that most of my favourite characters are from. I don't really like playing Zelda games but I love playing as Link and Ganondorf. There's so much to do in single player mode, you have tons of characters to unlock, hidden bosses, survival mode, home run contests and a mission mode with 51 missions. Brawl also has tons of achievements to unlock and a story mode. I think as a fighting game fan you owe it to yourself to try Smash Bros, be it Melee, Brawl or the latest ones for 3DS or Wii U. You can skip the original N64 game however, that one hasn't aged too well :D

Where the hell is serebii with his daily pic? :)

The forums were acting up

zlCfzRzhjvYEajAo8e

Pic of the day. Tac (on the left) steals your charged power. If you've charged up a lot, he might steal a ton of it. Chase after him quickly to get it back!!

Thanks a lot for quality responses, going to observe the latest Brawl installment closely from now on!

TAC! Interesting throwback, unless he's possibly in Triple Deluxe too? Only time I wished I could have been P2 instead of P1...

I officially have a new desktop background...

WUPP_AX_scrnC20_10_Ev04a.bmp-noscale.jpg

:love:

Yeeeah buddy, Im thinking Charizard and Bowser be ma Fire Team, and Greninja and Sheik Team NINJA. Oh its on.

WUPP_AX_scrnC22_16_Ev04a.bmp-noscale.jpg

Charizard is one messed up fucker.

Heck, even in his reveal trailer he was all like: 'I'm fucking done with this shit man. Fuck this "ramming you off the screen" shit, YOU'RE GOING TO DIE! I WILL ROAST YOU AND THEN SLICE OFF YOUR CHARRED REMAINS WITH MY CLAWS!'

HHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

You might want to get that checked out. ;)

Is it Summer yet?

zlCfzRz0iOUO8aaOQ4

Pic of the day. The 3DS version will have roughly the same types of Assist Trophies and Pokémon. Just roughly…

FPVRbRR.jpg

Pic of the day. For the first time in the Smash series, Beam Swords will feature graduated colors. The attack item on the left is the Fire Bar. This is a peculiar weapon that becomes shorter after each swing.

Edited by Serebii

Evolution of the original characters that have been confirmed so far.

supersmashbros-evolution.gif

zlCfzR1WDaglLpyW-j

Pic of the day. Here's a special stage exclusive to the 3DS version, Balloon Fight!! The stage loops on the left and right sides so you can walk off one side and appear on the other.

A looping Smash Bros stage!? What is this heresy!? :o

I take it that you can only KO someone upwards or through the water then? That's pretty damn cool! :D

Hmm, some characters may be at a disadvantage when it comes to KO ability. Maybe this stage will feature more hazards to make up for this?