NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

Huh? Where did you hear this?

Can't see there being much point in having a Nintendo Direct just for smash bros if there's no release date being given...

To show information about the game? Nintendo Directs don't exist to give release dates.

Untitled.jpg

:heh:

That had more than just the release date. It just hammered it in to our heads four times a minute.

No release date...so why bother with this direct? We're not going to get the game this year. :(

No release date...so why bother with this direct? We're not going to get the game this year. :(

What on Earth makes you think that??

To show information about the game? Nintendo Directs don't exist to give release dates.

Serebii, I love you man - we all do - but stop shooting fire arrows at yourself like this!

What on Earth makes you think that??

Surely if it was out this year, they would just give us a firm release date. We're in April. They won't get it out before Mario Kart obviously, so that rules out May. Meaning that they'd have to get it out from sometime between June-December. If they had the intention of doing that, surely there would be a date given to draw up some kind of momentum and publicity.

Therefore, it's more likely it won't be out this year.

As for this Direct: They already give out information daily about this game and have been doing so for some time. Is it worth doing a whole Direct for what is probably a character reveal?

Surely if it was out this year, they would just give us a firm release date. We're in April. They won't get it out before Mario Kart obviously, so that rules out May. Meaning that they'd have to get it out from sometime between June-December. If they had the intention of doing that, surely there would be a date given to draw up some kind of momentum and publicity.

Therefore, it's more likely it won't be out this year.

As for this Direct: They already give out information daily about this game and have been doing so for some time. Is it worth doing a whole Direct for what is probably a character reveal?

We didn't get a firm date for Super Mario 3D World when it was revealed in June for release in November (didn't get it until August 28th). We didn't get a firm date for The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds when it was revealed in April for release in November (Got the date on October 1st 2013). We didn't get a firm date for Pokémon X & Y when it was revealed in January for release in October (Got the date on June 11th 2013).

Hell, we didn't have a firm date for Mario Kart 8 in January this year. Wasn't until the February Direct that it was confirmed for May 30th.

Nintendo don't reveal firm dates this far in advance. Typically two or three months ahead, just in case.

Serebii, I love you man - we all do - but stop shooting fire arrows at yourself like this!

I'm confused :( What was wrong with my statement?

We didn't get a firm date for Super Mario 3D World when it was revealed in June for release in November (didn't get it until August 28th). We didn't get a firm date for The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds when it was revealed in April for release in November (Got the date on October 1st 2013). We didn't get a firm date for Pokémon X & Y when it was revealed in January for release in October (Got the date on June 11th 2013).

Hell, we didn't have a firm date for Mario Kart 8 in January this year. Wasn't until the February Direct that it was confirmed for May 30th.

Nintendo don't reveal firm dates this far in advance. Typically two or three months ahead, just in case.

If that's the case, then fair enough, I'll take that. I would like them to give out the dates a lot sooner than they do. Surely from a marketing perspective it would make sense to do this much sooner, especially for such a big title?

Still, I'm not expecting it out this year. If we get it in 2014 (with no major fuck-ups) then that's a bonus.

You sometimes make stand-out statements that are just pure and simply wrong, which conflicts with you being a treasure trove of knowledge and information. No biggie though.

You sometimes make stand-out statements that are just pure and simply wrong, which conflicts with you being a treasure trove of knowledge and information. No biggie though.

My statement wasn't wrong :p

If that's the case, then fair enough, I'll take that. I would like them to give out the dates a lot sooner than they do. Surely from a marketing perspective it would make sense to do this much sooner, especially for such a big title?

Still, I'm not expecting it out this year. If we get it in 2014 (with no major fuck-ups) then that's a bonus.

I'm expecting a Q3 or a Q4 release period reveal in the Direct. Hopefully the former for a nice August release :)

What's wrong with your statement is it is utter bullshit. You state things to always put a positive slant on everything Nintendo do,a a lot of the time I love it, way too much negativity around here, but sometimes it's just blatant bullshit. Sometimes they do give release dates. In fact most of the time they do.

And the difference with Mario is that was its unveiling, it's coming out this year. Fine. Smash we've known for along time and we've ALREADY had a release window. If it's the same why bother? It must have changed. And if it was sooner they'd have a concrete release date, so it must be later...

This whole direct has always felt incredibly weird. Why not Mari kart? Why a game where they drip feed us information every day anyway? Do we really need more. Especially when it's so far away? The only explanation is it was coming sooner. But now it looks not the case so the only other logical explanation is it's delayed and they want the bad news out of the way before e3.

Of course this is Nintendo. They could just show us loads of stuff, and say its coming 4th, and afterward we're all like - why the fuck did they do this now?

Anyways, yesterday was chatting with Dakota and we did our top 5 predictions. Hers mine

1. New character reveal. Obviously I'm going with Bayonetta (it'll be chrom but I don't want to be boring)

2. October release

3. A smash bros mobile app to check stats, images, trophies etc etc

4. Video like mario kart tv

5. Online will be incredibly customisable - be able to do our own tournaments and leagues and stuff like that

I also think the 3ds and Wii u will link up in some really inventive way.

Oh, and also think we'll get baseball news, either available straight away or next week.

What's wrong with your statement is it is utter bullshit. You state things to always put a positive slant on everything Nintendo do,a a lot of the time I love it, way too much negativity around here, but sometimes it's just blatant bullshit. Sometimes they do give release dates. In fact most of the time they do.

You misconstrued my words, sir. I said that they don't exist to give release dates. This is a fact. They exist to provide various information about software and hardware, which can include release dates. As such, saying there's no point to the Direct because there's no release date is erroneous and warranted my response.

Yes, it already had a release window, that was 2014. Now they're refining that, just like they did Zelda last year. Originally it was "by the end of the year", then in August it was "November", then on October 1st it was November 22nd.

Also, if it was sooner it doesn't mean we'd get a full date. Look at Mario Kart 8. Started off as 2014, then Spring 2014 in November, then May 2014 in January, then May 30th 2014 in February.

This is how the things work. There are patterns to how Nintendo do these releases.

Edited by Serebii

My statement wasn't wrong :p

I'm expecting a Q3 or a Q4 release period reveal in the Direct. Hopefully the former for a nice August release :)

Q3 seems incredibly optimistic, imo. If it was third quarter, we really should be getting a firm, nailed on date, in my opinion. It wouldn't make sense not to do that. If we get it before Christmas, it's a bonus.

Anyway, I'm questioning the whole point of this Direct, especially for this sort of game where we get info all the time anyway. I'd much rather we have a direct about something like Bayonetta (date, please) or another exclusive. We hear about Smash all the time, so it just would be nice to get something else.

Q3 seems incredibly optimistic, imo. If it was third quarter, we really should be getting a firm, nailed on date, in my opinion. It wouldn't make sense not to do that. If we get it before Christmas, it's a bonus.

Anyway, I'm questioning the whole point of this Direct, especially for this sort of game where we get info all the time anyway. I'd much rather we have a direct about something like Bayonetta (date, please) or another exclusive. We hear about Smash all the time, so it just would be nice to get something else.

From the impression I've been getting with the daily pictures, Sakurai is wanting to reveal some core aspects of the game that cannot be properly portrayed with pictures. As such, a Direct does fit this. It's possible that the reason we get a full Direct on it is due to it needing more time than Nintendo are willing to let it have in the bi-monthly Direct.

You know what? I reckon you might actually be right...

I'm starting to think that they're gonna announce a delay for both games to 2015... But they're gonna announce the release of a "prologue" version for Wii U (ALA MGS Ground Zeroes/GT5 Prologue) that will be released in June/July 2014.

A cut down version with all of the characters/stages we've seen so far, released at a cheaper price (probably £29.99/$29.99); with the full version set to release in March 2015 on Wii U.

Even November 2014 always seemed optimistic to me, considering that Brawl had a roughly 3 year dev cycle and that was just the one game, for Wii. This time around they're making two seperate games at the same time (with one of them being a HD game too - even without Sunspace Emissary, I wouldn't be surprised if the manpower requirement was larger than Brawl, just for the Wii U version alone) and people are expecting them to make two games in less time than it took to make Brawl alone (assuming a Nov 2014 release date, that would mean a 2.5 year dev cycle - since development on SSB4 started as soon as KIU released).

Yeah, I reckon a delay is gonna happen and they're gonna announce this prologue version today in order to tide us over till next year...

Edited by Dcubed

From the impression I've been getting with the daily pictures, Sakurai is wanting to reveal some core aspects of the game that cannot be properly portrayed with pictures. As such, a Direct does fit this. It's possible that the reason we get a full Direct on it is due to it needing more time than Nintendo are willing to let it have in the bi-monthly Direct.

Again, fair enough if that is the case. I'm watching it anyway, with low expectations of course.

A cut down version with all of the characters/stages we've seen so far, released at a cheaper price (probably £29.99/$29.99); with the full version set to release in March 2015 on Wii U.

This would only be acceptable if they also announced that the full game "upgrade" was £10.

You know what? I reckon you might actually be right...

I'm starting to think that they're gonna announce a delay for both games to 2015... But they're gonna announce the release of a "prologue" version for Wii U (ALA MGS Ground Zeroes/GT5 Prologue) that will be released in June/July 2014.

Even November 2014 always seemed optimistic to me, considering that Brawl had a roughly 3 year dev cycle and that was just the one game, for Wii. This time around they're making two seperate games at the same time (with one of them being a HD game too - even without Sunspace Emissary, I wouldn't be surprised if the manpower requirement was larger than Brawl, just for the Wii U version alone) and people are expecting them to make two games in less time than it took to make Brawl alone (assuming a Nov 2014 release date, that would mean a 2.5 year dev cycle - since development on SSB4 started as soon as KIU released).

Yeah, I reckon a delay is gonna happen and they're gonna announce this prologue version today in order to tide us over till next year...

I dunno. I honestly don't see a delay. Nintendo set up the official FB page last night, and plastered 2014 all over it. They wouldn't have included the date if they were going to change it. Nintendo aren't that much of a bastard

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Super-Smash-Bros/224173137756374?fref=ts

This would only be acceptable if they also announced that the full game "upgrade" was £10.

After the success of Ground Zeroes and GT5 Prologue? Not a chance!

It would also be a good way of earning back more revenue on this game, considering that it almost certainly won't sell as well as Brawl did.

I dunno. I honestly don't see a delay. Nintendo set up the official FB page last night, and plastered 2014 all over it. They wouldn't have included the date if they were going to change it. Nintendo aren't that much of a bastard

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Super-Smash-Bros/224173137756374?fref=ts

It's not like they haven't pulled last minute delays out of their hat before... (Cough; Mario Golf World Tour getting delayed an entire year just a month after it was announced for a Summer 2013 release, Cough!)

Those guys running the Facebook account probably wouldn't even know about such a delay...

You misconstrued my words, sir. I said that they don't exist to give release dates. This is a fact. They exist to provide various information about software and hardware, which can include release dates. As such, saying there's no point to the Direct because there's no release date is erroneous and warranted my response.

Haha, that's a tenuous technicality. Ultimately they very often do give release dates, especially if its closer. But if it is autumn... Then why do this direct at all? Like I said, they give us information every day, new characters every direct, why a special one NOW? It's so weird! Thee HAS to be a reason... Doesn't there?

A demo would be incredible!

After the success of Ground Zeroes and GT5 Prologue? Not a chance!

It would also be a good way of earning back more revenue on this game, considering that it almost certainly won't sell as well as Brawl did.

I'd rather not see Nintendo "earning back more revenue" by scamming fans. They're better than that.

I'd rather not see Nintendo "earning back more revenue" by scamming fans. They're better than that.

If Nintendo did go that route (which I highly doubt), I can see them going the route akin to New Super Luigi U

If you have the "prologue", then you can download the "expansion" for like £20. Alternatively, you can purchase the full retail package.

However, the entire concept of a prologue is so anti-Nintendo.

There is no chance in hell nintendo will release half a version... At best we'll get a demo. But if they did put that facebook group up and put 2014 then surely it'll be 2014!

Tonight is. Going to be very interesting. Never going to be a neutral repsonse - it'll either be 1. incredible, can't believe we're playing it in June, or have a demo, or 2. For fuck sake. Delayed to 2015. Hyrule warriors will be the biggest game we play all year or 3. Why the fuck did Nintendo feel the need to do that direct now?