NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

Realistically, what are the chances of Rayman?

He's my most hoped for 3rd Party character next to Professor Layton.

Nintendo could certainly thank Ubisoft for their support by throwing him in there, but I dunno, I imagine he'd be quite a punchy character, and Little Mac and the potentially newly revamped Diddy could fulfill those roles.

zlCfzRjBsvMZdJLUN2

"The twin rocketbarrels are back, now with the ability to launch along more horizontal trajectories. They can also come off when opponents hit them mid-boost."

Luigi needs a new Final Smash btw :p This is just wtf...

What don't you like about Luigi time? I always liked his Final Smash especially on smaller stages where it's tricky to avoid getting caught in it. Nothing better than giving enemies a super powered uppercut while they're asleep :D

What don't you like about Luigi time? I always liked his Final Smash especially on smaller stages where it's tricky to avoid getting caught in it. Nothing better than giving enemies a super powered uppercut while they're asleep :D
I just think it's so random, what even is it? It's described as 'The negative zone' but it's not a reference to anything in particular, it's just made up for Smash. Everyone else has a Final Smash move that's character driven don't they?

Maybe his could be a vacuum with a suction zone that you have to try and stay out of, but if you get caught in it for a couple of seconds you are sucked in and take damage inside the hoover bag until the smash ends. Or if you manage to suck up all 3 opponents the bag explodes and your opponents take extra damage.

zlCfzRjRYLcZR6Mzd_

"Pic of the day. There are actually two versions of the boxing ring stage! This ring is the Smash Bros. version…"

zlCfzRjRYdwCRLhEAt

"…and this one is the Punch Out!! W.V.B.A. design. King Dedede really likes fighting in the ring, doesn't he?"

Man o man i really want this game.

I really love the anouncement of Lil mac. i hope captain falcon is still in the game, and Pokemon trainer. Or an option to choose between red and blue :P when you switch from costumes your pokemon also switches to the color of you costume. lol just dreaming

Luigi needs a new Final Smash btw :p This is just wtf...

He really needs some sort of Year of Luigi epic special attack.

Maybe something from Dream Team where he falls asleep and hundreds of Luigis appear on screen or something.

He really needs some sort of Year of Luigi epic special attack.

Can you imagine...

*smash ball get*

Luigi's Final Smash!

*video appears on the screen in the background screen of the Ring stage showing Satoru Iwata in Nintendo Direct viral video form*

"This... is... the..."

*drum beat kicks in as 8-bit Mario Bros music plays*

"Ear of Luigi... ear of-ear of Luigi... Ear of Luigi... ear of-ear of Luigi... do you know that Luigi is thirty years old?"

Luigi - "Waaaaaaaaaaah!"

*Luigi then proceeds to throw unsold boxed copies of New Super Luigi U at his opponents*

:laughing:

I hope they give Luigi a new Final smash from the 3DS game: Mario & Luigi Dream team. He has some awesome attacks in that game.

zlCfzRjhVpUl-CRgz_

"Pic of the day. Now consecutive standard attacks will always transition into a finishing move. This is Fox's finishing kick after his standard combo attack."

Good change, those infinite attacks were crap unless you had the enemy by a wall and then they did too much damage.

Am I the only one who hated Final Smashes? Do they really need to be in the game? I want a more puritan 64/Melee skill focus, rather than the battle turning into a frantic chase for an off-key FS ball and a one-hit ko. phukdatchit.

Madness.

The choice is there to switch it off!

The Final Smashes made every character have its awesome signature special move!

A chance for the developers to go a little crazier with the character (like with G&W) which isn't possible to incorporate in the character's moveset.

It's basically an extra move, and some are dodgeable.

Am I the only one who hated Final Smashes? Do they really need to be in the game? I want a more puritan 64/Melee skill focus, rather than the battle turning into a frantic chase for an off-key FS ball and a one-hit ko. phukdatchit.

Yeah I wasn't a fan but ofc, like all items you can just turn it off. I never really saw the appeal of playing with smash balls even when items were on though.

Sure you can turn them off, but that doesn't stop people/hosts from having the option of having them available.

I just hate the heightened element of luck with the way the ball moves and how it changes the focus in matches. I favour a skill-based attainment of a 'final attack', like consecutive hits or consecutive dodges - not just a random bit of luck from out of no where.

That approach was kind of what put me off Brawl quicker than Melee or 64 - luck overtook skill.

Cool to see every character get an extra move. I have a feeling that's the Tekken team at work.

Sure you can turn them off, but that doesn't stop people/hosts from having the option of having them available.

I just hate the heightened element of luck with the way the ball moves and how it changes the focus in matches. I favour a skill-based attainment of a 'final attack', like consecutive hits or consecutive dodges - not just a random bit of luck from out of no where.

That approach was kind of what put me off Brawl quicker than Melee or 64 - luck overtook skill.

The smash ball requires far less luck than items like the Starman, Heart Container, Spicy Curry or Hammer, though. Smash Balls don't come into effect the moment you touch them, or press A, you actually have to go out of your way to get it.

So it's possible that you're talking about item-less matches that still have smash balls, but I don't think those are that common, are they?

Surely a true amount of skill can/will always outstrip that of luck, though? Random luck's a staple of Nintendo's games, but I like Smash for the balance between both - sure sometimes luck wins out and you might remember/notice that more, but I think there's often plenty of times that skill trumps it too.

On the whole items/smash ball front though - what's people's general feelings on items? I know some folk like to play with them off completely(certainly not me) - do you play with them on, off, select ones or select matches? Whats your favourites and least favourites?

Surely a true amount of skill can/will always outstrip that of luck, though? Random luck's a staple of Nintendo's games, but I like Smash for the balance between both - sure sometimes luck wins out and you might remember/notice that more, but I think there's often plenty of times that skill trumps it too.

On the whole items/smash ball front though - what's people's general feelings on items? I know some folk like to play with them off completely(certainly not me) - do you play with them on, off, select ones or select matches? Whats your favourites and least favourites?

I've got no problems with items, especially if it's just a casual game. As for favourites...definitely the PokeBall :)

Of course, the competitive game in Melee is just something else and so I stopped playing with items around 2004 or so.

Imo, that video shows just how incredible this game is. You have someone playing as Yoshi, one of the worst characters in Melee, come out of nowhere and do incredibly well at a national tournament in 2014, more than a decade after the game came out <3

I just hate the heightened element of luck with the way the ball moves and how it changes the focus in matches

You call it luck I call it acrobatic skill and 'knowing' the Smash Ball so that you know when to hit it at the right time.

Also, as much fun as no-items matches are to watch, I find matches with certain items on (obviously not cheap one-hit-kill items) way more spectacular to watch. These matches show the true skill of a smash player, for he/she has to both dodge/use items as well as focus on the opponent.

It brings in a whole new level of skill if you'd ask me, especially the mindgames that can be played when it comes to throwing items.

Edited by Fused King

You call it luck I call it acrobatic skill and 'knowing' the Smash Ball so that you know when to hit it at the right time.

Also, as much fun as no-items matches are to watch, I find matches with certain items on (obviously not cheap one-hit-kill items) way more spectacular to watch. These matches show the true skill of a smash player, for he/she has to both dodge/use items as well as focus on the opponent.

It brings in a whole new level of skill if you'd ask me, especially the mindgames that can be played when it comes to throwing items.

A brother after my own heart container! This is why this game needs good online, so we can plaaaaaay. Personally one little item touch I love is throwing items I'm holding back into the stage when I'm getting knocked off the sides. Picture smashing someone off then getting a mystery bat to the face!

I feel ya, but in the case of Brawl I felt luck and randomness had a higher value as opposed to 64 and Melee.

A super move should be earned, ala Street Fighter and the style you choose (consecutive hits, dodging, parrying etc), a wavy, ball containing a one-hit ko eradicates the skill element a little bit.

I am moaning a bit, but thats just the feeling I got from Brawl. I respect items, and there is skill in how you use/counter them. Nothing quiet like throwing a pokeball upward into an airborne player, and having a Pokemon get them when they land.

So it's possible that you're talking about item-less matches that still have smash balls, but I don't think those are that common, are they?

IIRC it was pretty common to have no items but SB activated.

Edited by King_V
Automerged Doublepost

It takes a lot of hits to break the Smash Ball, if you're going for it then that makes you free to attacks from everyone else. You have a fair few strong Final Smashes like ROB's invincible stupid laser thing, Super Sonic, Wario man, Snake's grenade launcher... but you also have weaker ones like Peach's, Mario's, Meta Knights, Diddy Kongs, I think they should try and make every character's Final Smash even so no one is too strong or too powerful. With Super Sonic you can easily kill everyone twice but with Mario you'd be very lucky to kill anyone at all.

I like to play with items, they can be a bit annoying sometimes but that keeps matches from getting boring IMO and they do add a lot of strategy to the game compared to playing without items. I tend to play the game with friends so we always have 4 players on so that's why I use items, when it's just a 1 on 1 fight then I won't use items otherwise it's easy to camp out the opponent especially when they're slower than you.