NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

Anyone else think it's weird how all of the last four updates are Pokemon related? I mean, yeah some follow up ones in Lucario are to be expected; but the trend seems to be continuing even beyond Lucario himself now...

Anyone else think it's weird how all of the last four updates are Pokemon related? I mean, yeah some follow up ones in Lucario are to be expected; but the trend seems to be continuing even beyond Lucario himself now...

Considering there had been no Pokémon updates whatsoever barring one on October 18th, and Pokémon is Nintendo's biggest franchise at the moment, it's good.

Favourites: I enjoy playing as Link, Sonic, Kirby, Samus, Fox and Captain Falcon.

As for mains, I used Sonic the most in Brawl, but I wouldn't say I "mained" him.

As for the next one, I plan on using Sonic, Kirby, Link, Toon Link, Pit, Samus and possibly Villager.

The Pokémon are looking good in this game! I never expect them to look amazing because there's so much going on around them, so I was almost expecting the Pokéballs to be ripped models from an older game.

For Melee I used tons of different people, especially the first few years when I just messed around on it. I didn't even find out about charging Smash Attacks until like 2004 :p But later on, Falco became my main.

Initially Diddy was my main on Brawl, but now I totally kick ass as Game & Watch.

I mained Marth in Melee and Pikachu in Brawl, but I like playing with nearly all the characters.

For me it's all about Marth and Game & Watch :)

You know what I really want from the new smash? Character specific 'Break The Targets' stages, like Melee and 64 (board the platforms!). I must have spent countless hours beating my best times!

Edited by Goron_3

The whole "will characters be cut" sentiment is based on some quotes from Sakurai himself about balancing the roster more than before and that it would be difficult for some characters to have a unique moveset and still remain balanced. I thought I'd read that somewhere here?

Afaik he was referencing to veteran fighters but also in reply to the constant questions about including new characters.

And we've seen 4 new characters up until now (Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager and Rosalina & Luma) so I'm beginning to doubt if we'll see all Brawl characters return. Especially "clones"...

That said, it is just my gut feeling, and I'm already searching for that quote to be sure I haven't misread it...

ps: I would really be sad if Game & Watch, Ganondorf, Lucas, R.O.B. and/or Wario aren't getting in. Those were some of my favourites...

ps2: found it: http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533

althought it leaves much room for speculation what he precisely means... ::shrug:

kTfy5I6.jpg

"Pic of the day. It is said that the cosmos is beneath Rosalina's gown. This was actually featured briefly in her debut video."

Wait, so everything that exists in the universe is actually located in between her legs?

Guess I'll take it upon myself this time:

zlCfzReIEp4qSu4lC-

"Pic of the day. Housed within the Control Capsule! Protected by Rinkas! Eyeball armed with a Laser Brain Attack!! The massive Assist Trophy Mother Brain joins the collection!!"

The Brain's big alright.

Making Ridley smaller than Mother Brain would be....

You know what I really want from the new smash? Character specific 'Break The Targets' stages, like Melee and 64 (board the platforms!). I must have spent countless hours beating my best times!

Good times!

Don't forget the home-run contest!

Oh, how I wish they give Melee the HD treatment.

I want Roy, Mewtwo and Young Link back :(

Also...

Watching this almost makes me cry. It's so beautiful.

Edited by drahkon

Such an iconic intro! :) (along with Melee's which was perfection)

That hand countdown at the beginning!

Falco is as much a Smash Veteran as Marth and Ganandorf & Meta Knight are dead certainties in my eyes.

Speaking about characters, here are some questions for you lot:

Who are your favourite characters in the series?

Who were your mains in the previous games?

Who do you plan to use in the next Smash Bros. (out of those confirmed so far)?

My favs are Snake, Falco & Captain Falcon.

Mains:

SM64: Mario & Link

Melee: Mario, DK, Mewtwo & Falco

Brawl: Snake, Ike, Falco, Captain Falcon & MetaKnight.

So far I plan to use Pit, Rosalina & Link in the upcoming titles.

Very tough to answer! Gameplay wise, character wise, move/smash wise, what? Some lolsones are Falcon/Gdorf for punches, Dedede for being a heffer and his big jump, Wario for his superbike, uh...GREEEEN ROCKEEEET! and uh...well, I love them all really!

I never owned SSB64 myself, but borrowed it off a mate(when it didn't glitch out into you being Mario ALL THE TIME) - I tended to favour Link iirc, but I can't accurately recall. I think I played with everyone really, wanna say mostly Link?

Melee was similar, mostly Link - he was my 'best' but after a while I started to intentionally mix it up, then random it up. Favoured ones iirc were probs Link, Samus, Pikachu, and Mario I was starting to get into. I liked Ness for his bat, and DK for his bluecolour, and bowser sometimes, but yeah generally I was randoming by now. I was never top quality, and never got into all wavedashing etc, but I got SERIOUSLY shit in the years when I didn't play. My mentality for randoming was to both keep the others unknowing for what would be coming, but also you get an idea for how people might play with a character having played them yourself, if that makes sense.

In Brawl other than when we first started and I was Ike for a while(in prep for a UK gamestation release tournament I practised with him), I and my smash brothers pretty much randomed all the way(except one, cos he's a cheap bitch who likes to win more than play). There's some rough with the smooth, but seeing it my smash brothers followed my previously random lead(iirc) and started randoming too - I think it's all lead to us all being better Smashers(except that cheap bitch, whilst he randoms a lot now he's still the worst :p). It's quite fun playing with them, because we don't have a clear best player, and we all play distinctly different imo.

First month or two I foresee us choosing characters between randoming, just to get their feels etc, but mostly I'll be random all round.

I'm looking forward to Smash 4 to offer new competition, as we haven't met enough people to challenge the group tbh(didn't do a lot of online outside of ourselveS). I've met a few people who have been self-declared Smash Kings(and a yet to be tested Queen) because they were very good or very good in their group - but when we've actually brought them to challenge they haven't held up against us. Me and Marcamillian always find that quite amusing, and it's why you'll never find us saying that we're any more than maybe rather good at Smash Bros :p

N64 Smash intro.

Heh, I love it how they briefly flash the 4 secret characters at the end :laughing:

I'm looking forward to Smash 4 to offer new competition, as we haven't met enough people to challenge the group tbh(didn't do a lot of online outside of ourselveS). I've met a few people who have been self-declared Smash Kings(and a yet to be tested Queen) because they were very good or very good in their group - but when we've actually brought them to challenge they haven't held up against us. Me and Marcamillian always find that quite amusing, and it's why you'll never find us saying that we're any more than maybe rather good at Smash Bros :p

WOW!

The Smash Brothers: UK Edition.

I'd watch that :laughing:

After the emotional additions of MM and OOT, Link has always been a trusty character with good versatility from SB64 to Melee. Lovely spin attack/hook shot recoveries and smash attacks. Something about OOT Link's eyes and his wails... embedded in my ear drums.

However, my main circa Melee was Sheik! I loved his grace and speed. Other mentions go to Link, Young Link, and Mewtwo.

Link is a given for me - but I am also interested to see how Lucario feels in this iteration - he seemed to floaty in Brawl. And of course, if there is a Sheik under Zelda, him too.

Heh, I love it how they briefly flash the 4 secret characters at the end :laughing:

WOW!

The Smash Brothers: UK Edition.

I'd watch that :laughing:

Watching the documentary I actually thought to myself that if I manage to get my shit together enough this year I'm almost tempted to host some. It was one thing we noted from it too, *everyone* thinks they(or their friend) are the best at what they do, and for some it's a rather amusing awakening when it's not the case. Played my mate's boyfriend last week for the first time(after having spoken about Brawl a long while back) - he mained as Kirby and I randomed with a wiimote+nunchuk, he was frankly devastated by the devastation and being quite a competetive soul he threw his glasses across the room and insisted on 2 more rematches. Even with stuff like that, I know that whilst we're good there's no way we're close to being the best either(my and Dedede's greatest flaw is that we need cube pads to be our best, Marcamillian promtply embraced new tech and kicks arse with a sole wiimote). I should mention though that I'm not a big fan of the way melee went, into the technical things like wavedashing etc(I know how controversial that is) - it isn't the way I like to play; though I guess that's one big reason I enjoy Nintendo games.

Even so it is tantilising though, talking about the game with folks, and seeing their eyes light up and talk of how good they are; wondering in my mind whether or not they truly are. I haven't had many other games in my life like that. I'm looking forward to the fact this is 3DS friendly as well - there's limits to console gaming and with a competitive game like this, the 3DS portability can really knock the previous issue down a bit - we'll actually be able to Smash it out and see who's the best when we meet folks!

After the emotional additions of MM and OOT, Link has always been a trusty character with good versatility from SB64 to Melee. Lovely spin attack/hook shot recoveries and smash attacks. Something about OOT Link's eyes and his wails... embedded in my ear drums.

However, my main circa Melee was Sheik! I loved his grace and speed. Other mentions go to Link, Young Link, and Mewtwo.

Link is a given for me - but I am also interested to see how Lucario feels in this iteration - he seemed to floaty in Brawl. And of course, if there is a Sheik under Zelda, him too.

Kingvee please, that dude is a lady! One of my favourite ladies, too.

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Watching the documentary I actually thought to myself that if I manage to get my shit together enough this year I'm almost tempted to host some.

I swear to god if you're hosting a tournament I will do my best to attend.

I have some stories of my own to tell, what with having been to the first ever APEX in 2010 and seeing the big shots themselves (Mew2King, Armada, etc...) in action as well as very talented Japanese players.

I swear to god if you're hosting a tournament I will do my best to attend.

I have some stories of my own to tell, what with having been to the first ever APEX in 2010 and seeing the big shots themselves (Mew2King, Armada, etc...) in action as well as very talented Japanese players.

Hot dawg, that is amazing! Jealous :)

Rummy if you host a tourny, I'm on it!!! :yay:

I'd take part in a tourney!

04hcfU2.jpg

"Pic of the day. A bored-looking dog staring at the TV… Occasionally, the Super Smash Bros. series really makes me confused about what I'm creating."

I'd take part in a tourney!

04hcfU2.jpg

"Pic of the day. A bored-looking dog staring at the TV… Occasionally, the Super Smash Bros. series really makes me confused about what I'm creating."

Nintendog coming up as a playable character reveal :laughing:!

For me it's all about Marth and Game & Watch :)

Given that's there's gonna be no SSE-esque story mode, I'm hoping more content like this will return. Right pain in the arse actually managing to complete them all in the time, but such good challenge.

Given that's there's gonna be no SSE-esque story mode, I'm hoping more content like this will return. Right pain in the arse actually managing to complete them all in the time, but such good challenge.

Imagine these with friend leaderboards and ghosts.

pxmi0eS.jpg

"Pic of the day. You missed me, because you attacked my illusory copy from my Double Team move!"

Imagine these with friend leaderboards and ghosts.

Yeah, the game will be more accessible without that emissary garbage. Adventure mode in Melee was ok.

But something like Soul Calibur 2's minimal story-based but still fighting quest mode would be ideal.

Remember the home-run contest in Melee?? Ahhhhhhhhh memories man. (what was the hidden character you got again?)