NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

I say 1 or 2, no more than 2. ONE of them HAS to be Lloyd Irvin!.

Yeah, I think he's probably the favourite to be in it. Maybe Klonoa or Pac-Man as well. I hope they keep the Tekken and Soul Calibur characters well away from this.

The novelty of third party characters seemed ok in Brawl. It didn't ruin the game, but I can't say that it really enhanced the game or really helped it in any way. Imo, it works well as a one-time only type of thing. The chance to pit Sonic vs. Mario, for example.

It's a bit worrying to see so many people write lists down of all the third party characters that they want in the next Smash Bros. Can't say I'm a fan of it. It should be focused around Nintendo and their franchises. They have a plethora of characters out there that deserve to be in this game. How come there's only the one from Metroid, for example. Give us Ridley!

How come there's only the one from Metroid, for example. Give us Ridley!

And before people say he's too big - he isn't during the intro video for Melee.

God why are they developing it? ! Sakurai is an absolute genius so hopefully it will be okay, but it has worrying potential!

Seeing as Namco are co-developing we'll most likely see a few from them. Even IF there are more 3rd party characters, maybe we'll see a big increase in the overall roster. Say 50 characters? 45 Nintendo 5 3rd Party?

Getting Starfox Assault vibes from this...

Also feels like Iwata is rushing Sakurai against his will. We all know how that turned out last time... (Kirby's Air Ride was rushed out, Sakurai left Nintendo in protest)

Not happy about this at all...

At least this means that we're guaranteed to see some Tales of characters in SSB4!

Edited by Dcubed

God why are they developing it? ! Sakurai is an absolute genius so hopefully it will be okay, but it has worrying potential!

This means Nintendos own team is making something secret for WiiU

This means Nintendos own team is making something secret for WiiU

Do you not just think Sakurais team AND Namco are developing it because there are two versions and they don't want it to take twice as long to come out?

God I hope Namco don't mess this up, so long as the game play doesn't change there shouldn't be a problem, although I doubt we'll see megaman, sonic or snake in the new installment.

Do you not just think Sakurais team AND Namco are developing it because there are two versions and they don't want it to take twice as long to come out?

That is also a possibility ^^ when I first read the news it seemed like Sakurai was the only one from the old team to work on this.

I'll admit this news has me a little worried (Star Fox Assault :/) but who knows, Namco Bandai may have to run everything by Sakurai/Sora so things could turn out well.

Did get me thinking about third party characters from Namco Bandai that I'd happily take in the game. Think Klonoa would be a good shout. I know Nintendo want to have specific story related reasons for characters being in the game but I reckon Klonoa wouldn't be too hard a push to put in the roster. Lloyd Irving as well, as Dem0 suggested. Just none of the Tekken or Soul Calibur crowd please. Seriously, don't even attempt to make it a Smash Bros. X Soul Calibur style game Namco.

Does make me wonder, though, that if it's a different developer making the game, perhaps they'll push slightly more for other Nintendo characters that haven't been in the games before to be included. So many overlooked for Brawl and that was with a Nintendo focused development team so you can only hope we'll see a bigger roster including many forgotten or new characters.

The only thing I require is a new moveset for Ganondorf. Seriously. That's my only requirement. :P

The only thing I require is a new moveset for Ganondorf. Seriously. That's my only requirement. :P

Just merge Ganondorf and Captain Falcon into the same character and have it done with.

"SH-SH-SHOW YOUR MOVES. AAARRRRRGH-NEAAAAAAAAAAAURGGGGGHHHHHH!"

"Falcon kick, Falcon kick, NEEEEARRRRRRRUGGGGH."

Would make an interesting end boss fight in the next Zelda. Race through the Fields of Hyrule, before sword battling.

Namco Bandai are co-devloping the next Super Smash Bros games? :blank:

You know what this means right?

Pacman Kirby!

Pacman_Kirby_by_nintenerd.jpg

:p

It'll also hopefully mean that we will get...

Lloyd Irving!

tumblr_m2arstvkpF1qdhyn0o2_500.png

He'd be such a great fit for the game, I wouldn't be against other Tales of... characters being in it too which leads me to an interesting point...

If there are two Super Smash Bros games being developed for 3DS and Wii U then there has to be some form of cross-platform functionality... what if Nintendo decide to have either one exclusive character per version, then when you link the two you get both characters to use in both games or if they added in a secret character which only unlocks by linking both versions?

It would divide opinion I'm sure but I wouldn't necessarilly put it past either Nintendo or Namco especially given the attitude towards dlc of the latter company... we might even have downloadable characters at a later date, which is both an exciting and slightly unnerving prospect. :hmm:

Either way we certainly have some rather interesting times ahead! : peace:

Seriously, if they start shoving in Namco Bandai characters then I might not bother picking it up.

I think a Pacman level would be adorable. And I think Pacman would fit it alright, seeing as he's already appeared in the Mario Kart Arcade games.

Other than that, I think scrap 3rd Party Characters altogether. We've done Mario VS. Sonic... that's it.

Seriously, if they start shoving in Namco Bandai characters then I might not bother picking it up.

Lol.

Right, what about this guy:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR54oEbRWQaH1lwxLEBz9mN2JL4r11FpKTJqdAgHmvcXAFZI9V0vG8IU7Pp5Q

And I can definitely see a character from Tekken in there seeing as its quite the popular series.

I think the messages that one could read after NintendoDirect must mean that we'll get some sort of Smash Bros. Dojo again, but I'd like to urge everyone to let Sakurai know that he shouldn't be rushing it.

If enough fans let NINTENDO and co. know that such a huge project shouldn't be rushed via Facebook/Twitter/Dojo, then I think they'll start to take notice.

I agree that this series is all about NINTENDO all-stars, but it's so very nice to see 3rd party characters enter the arena.

I have this dream that this franchise could house so many different characters from all over the world and bring them together in some kind of story. But of course people would freak out and cry because some universes don't fit together, .....aaah the passion of gamers . . .for a series which has a mouse and a woman with a cybernetic exoskeleton team up.

Would it be really hard to make a Nintendo vs. Sega vs. Capcom vs. Namco game? All the companies seem pretty chummy.

You guys should really read these announcements more carefully. It clearly says it includes the main staff from Tekken, with the guy from Soul Calibur being the art/sound director.

So, if similarities to any Namco series appear, it's probably to Tekken (which is fairly 2D, really).

Of course, this doesn't stop other Namco characters from appearing, and I am salivating at the thought of Lloyd Iriving (or Regal Bryant. I'd love to see him in a fighting game). I'd love to see King from Tekken, too.

Hell, I don't see the problem in turning this into a full-fledged Nintendo vs. Namco, either.

Would it be really hard to make a Nintendo vs. Sega vs. Capcom vs. Namco game? All the companies seem pretty chummy.

Considering 3 of those companies are already making an RPG together, the only thing stopping this from happening is, indeed, the large amount of work and compromise such a project would undertake.

People are making too much into this and I think at most we might get just a few characters from other franchises. I think the move is mainly as it's their first HD smash game and after Brawl they've realised how big a group a team they need. Brawl was also ridiculously unbalanced so having those guys will really help with that.

I'm sure NAMCO are involved to help with the graphical assets and to lend support in building a solid online infrastructure. Aside from some balancing issues I don't think the core Smash Bros gameplay needs too much changed. I'd like Sakurai to make these open to updates. Imagine getting a new character/stage/trophy when you buy a new game?

When I heard some of the Tales team were involved I did start to hope we might get some kind of RPG adventure in place of the SSE (and of course it paves the way for Lloyd & Kratos to make an appearance!).

It sounded to me like it was purely to give Nintendo some manpower to actually get these two games out this gen. :P

This does not fill me with hope either. I'm not a huge fan of Namco generally and the last thing Smash needs is Namco's special slant on making things too Japanese orientated and less accessible to the west.

Well having a very experienced team of developers who have been making fighting games for years, albeit a different type would be helpful. They can look at smash from a another perspective, they can give different ideas. Nintendo will not jeopardize one of their top franchises. They've probably been thinking about this for a long time, the demand for the next game is so high, so they will be thinking about all of the improvements they could bring to the table while making sure it doesn't take a very long time (e.g. 5yrs+) to develop.

Nintendo & Namco are coming together to make the next entry in the 'Super Smash Bros. Series.' not a Nintendo X Namco fighter. Better online, more balance in the roster, new modes, different ideas for the WiiU|3DS integration. I think this could turn out very good, as long as they don't rush it.