NEurope
darksnowman

Luigi's Mansion 2

I never played the first one. I need a re-release before I can get excited about this.

Actually, this is pretty awesome. I always thought Luigi's mansion was a bit underrated, and several mansions gets around the problems of the overly short original.

Hopefully it'll include the original mansion in there somewhere. I loved the first game.

New game, several mansions.

Several mansions can mean anything.

Hopefully they are all as large as the original.

Feel like crying. I've been waiting for this for years and then it comes out on a handheld console?! This would have been so much better on the Wii but still, love a handheld version of Luigi's Mansion 2. Would have liked a DS version too though...

I approve wholeheartedly of the existence of this, but is 3DS the best choice of system over say, Wii-U? I dunno, but hopefully it's good.

I loved that they braught it back but I didn't like the trailer. It made the game look rather boring, or is that just me?

I loved that they braught it back but I didn't like the trailer. It made the game look rather boring, or is that just me?

I know what you mean. It didn't seem to have the atmosphere or the charm of the original. I think it was the music though. Didn't like the way it kept switching from the theme music to the battle music and back again.

But it looks unpolished and far from finished. Reggie didn't even give a vague release date like he did for the other games so there's plenty of time yet. I'm betting we won't see it again for another year at E3 and then it'll be released around November time all shiny and full of Nintendo charm. It has to, right?

Several mansions can mean anything.

Hopefully they are all as large as the original.

Means more than one. :heh:

There were a few different environmental themes shown in the quick trailer during the conference, so at a guess those will act as "worlds" like in the Mario games.

Snow ghost house please. :santa:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Watching the conference now and just seen a 2 second clip of this :p whether it's a remake/port or a new game, it's great that Nintendo haven't forgotten about it!

I think it's brilliant that we're getting this game. Although, this should really be Luigi's Mansion 3, and we should have had Luigi's Mansion 2 on the Wii aaaages ago. :heh:

This, Super Mario and Kid Icarus are reasons for me to buy the 3DS. Also, the inevitable Advance Wars and Metroid game...I hope.

The highlight of the conference for me. Ultra hyped about the other 1st party 3ds games but this is the icing on a very nice cake of 3ds goodness

Glad to see this, loved the first on the Gamecube, and would have been happy with just a 3DS port.

So this is the doing of Next Level Games, huh.

It's great that NINTENDO is trusting more developers to handle their iconic franchises:)

Was surprised and happy that this got revealed! Even though the first was short it was a great game to play and enjoyed it!

Hopefully with the mention of several mansions this will be longer and even better! :D

IGN say it was the best looking 3DS game at E3.

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/117/1173785p1.html

E3 2011: The Incredible Depth of Luigi's Mansion 2

Why Mario's lesser brother may well have the greater game.

There are quite a lot of major, impressive 3DS games on display here at E3. Kid Icarus Uprising is sensational. Mario Kart rocks. The new Super Mario -- totally solid. But I'm stepping up right now to tell you that Luigi's Mansion 2 blows them all away in the area that may just matter most. 3D.

Now, others will have different opinions. You'll read about how the stereoscopic depth brings the landscapes of Kid Icarus to life, or how Mario Kart's tracks have never looked better. And those things are true. But Luigi's Mansion 2, with its slow pace of exploration, its indoor environments and its comparatively intimate focus, draws you into the 3D experience in a way the faster action games just can't hope to achieve.

It just looks brilliant. Like staring into a living, breathing diorama where Luigi's tip-toeing around and getting freaking out by spooks at every turn. The architecture of the mansion is wonderfully detailed, with each piece of furniture, each wall-hanging decoration and each wispy, wafting cobweb all helping weave together the incredibly deep experience.

Oh, and the game's pretty fun to play too.

Anyone who's had a turn with the GameCube original Luigi's Mansion will pick up the basic concept here right away, as it's essentially the same design -- Luigi is armed with a combination flashlight/vacuum cleaner and he must first scare the mansion-dwelling ghosts with a blast of light, then suck them up into his Poltergust canister. He also comes across lots of scattered coins and dollar bills to collect along the way, and he has to solve simple puzzles and clear certain rooms entirely of ghosts to earn keys and move forward through locked doors to get deeper into the mansion.

This 3DS sequel adds a few tweaks to the formula, though. Luigi's flashlight can now shoot out a quick, intense burst of light called a strobe to start the process of ghostcatching (that's a bit different than the Cube game.) Luigi's also got a new, electricity-based zap attack that he can trigger when a ghost tries to escape from his vacuum stream -- an A Button icon will flash above his head, and then hitting A with proper timing will send out a yellow bolt of lightning to shock the spook back into submission, defeating their attempt to break away from being sucked up.

Then there's simultaneous ghost streaming, which awards you for stunning and then capturing more than one ghost at once. Nintendo's rep in attendance told me they've got the game system supporting as many as three ghosts getting sucked at once right now, and they're pushing for even more in the final product. Four, five, six ghosts at once? Who knows.

The 3DS system's built-in gyroscope also comes into play, as tilting your system up, down and side-to-side lets Luigi aim his vacuum and/or flashlight above and below him -- in the demo, extra coins were hiding in the rafters of a room and couldn't be collected without the tilt.

And then there are the new additions that, again, just serve to reinforce this game's great sense of depth -- like turning the flashlight around and pointing it straight out of the screen. At your face. Luigi has no qualms about blinding the player controlling him, and the lighting flare effect that results from trying to flash yourself is a whole lot of fun -- reminiscent of that great first time in Metroid Prime when you saw Samus' eyes reflect against the inside of her visor.

Now, Luigi's Mansion 2 isn't going to have the name recognition of Nintendo's other titles. It's probably not going to get as much attention as them, as E3 goes forward. It may not win as many awards. But no matter how anyone else reacts, I'm telling you the truth right here -- Luigi's Mansion 2 is a winner, it's absolutely worth getting hyped for and it's proving that there's more and more potential to tap with the 3DS system's signature stereoscopic screen.

luigismansion2201106070.jpgluigismansion2201106070.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link

Any word on controls yet?

The first played with dual analog so will this be a touch screen jobbie or a tilty one?

Whilst the Wii may sound like a natural fit for this... the issue of depth and whether you are pointing behind or in front of Luigi would make it a problem. Sin and Punishment works (as do FPSes) because your character is the the foreground and you're pointing in the background. Here, it isn't the same as Luigi isn't tied to the camera.

Two ghost visually could appear to be on top of one another but one is just further away than the other - how would the pointer know which you are aiming at?

Anyway, yes, it's good for it to be making a comeback as long as they sort the issue of length out.

Edit: Well that answers that question - cheers Retro :p

Edited by Captain Falcon

I think the game is a better fit for the 3DS... the length may have been an issue in the first one, but you'll be more inclined to just pick up and play this one for shorter ammounts of time probably. Add in the fact there are multiple mansions which will add to the length anyway, and it sounds like a winner.