NEurope
Nintendohnut

The Apple Thread

I'm thinking of getting an iPod Touch as a cheaper alternative to smartphone + associated bill/prepay costs for Facetime, Skype, etc.

Does anyone in Ireland know how much the Student Travelcard Apple discount is? The 4th gen 8GB in white is going for €203 from the Apple store. Would I find it cheaper from resellers, or somewhere else? I'm not going to touch eBay, heard too many horror stories, and all of the used ones seem to have cracked screens. Or does everyone stick to the Apple store?

Ahhh, I forgot about Amazon as always, as I've always had trouble with shipping with them. Will consider them too.

The 5th gen speculated release date seems to be anything from March to summer of this year, might hold on for another bit and see. But on the other hand, there might not be a huge amount of improvement compared to the 4th gen device (*cough*4S)...hmm.

I'm thinking of getting an iPod Touch as a cheaper alternative to smartphone + associated bill/prepay costs for Facetime, Skype, etc.

Does anyone in Ireland know how much the Student Travelcard Apple discount is? The 4th gen 8GB in white is going for €203 from the Apple store. Would I find it cheaper from resellers, or somewhere else? I'm not going to touch eBay, heard too many horror stories, and all of the used ones seem to have cracked screens. Or does everyone stick to the Apple store?

Just double-checked by calling Apple (their hold music), and looking online. The Irish Student Travelcard only gives a discount on MacBook Air, Pro, mini, iMac, and Mac Pro - not iPods, iPads, etc. - though the discount seems a bit pathetic...2% off the cheapest version of MacBook Air? The short answer for them to give me should have been "the discount only applies to Macs", but I had to figure it out for myself :hmm:

However, an Apple reseller called Compu b (Grafton St., Swords, and Cork) has a 6% discount for students...only for computers, not iPods etc.

I'll be lurking on Amazon...they seem to go for around €190 (new, free shipping).

They're only $190 over here' date=' any way you could import one?[/quote']

From the Apple Store? I see it for $199...that's not fair! :blank:

That's an option too, but I'd rather straight-up pay for it myself than bother anyone with shipping/money! I found a used one on Amazon for about £120 just now, too. Thanks for the heads up anyway!

iTunes/iPod is really starting to annoy me. First it refuses to transfer music I haven't bought on Apple Store to my new computer. Apple has no business where I got my music in my opinion(btw it's all legal). Second it refuses to syncronize music I have ripped. I have only bought one single on my new computer but it won't transfer that either. Whenever I connect the iPod I always choose "transfer bought"(my translation) instead of "delete and synchronize". The latter would would be a disaster, most of music is in my dad's attic, a total of 4.3 gb. Only got 2.7 on the computer now, what Apple allowed me to copy and the few cds I have here. It would be way to time consuming to rip all the cds again anyway.

So, anyway to fix this?

Anything can happen in 40 30 minutes!

Anyway, there have been rumours for months that a new Ipad would be released in March, but apart from that there was no news. Today I see various tech spec rumours popping up on Engadget, and now apparently there’s some release event. So ehm, fingers crossed for retina display!

So nothing announced that we didn't already know. Seems like a decent enough upgrade. Now to decide whether the order online or go down to the store next Friday.

Bollocks to the terribly named 'new iPad', I want to to know what iOS 5.1 is going to do for my 4S' battery life.

So will the iPad 4 be the New New iPad?

New iPad 2, duh!

Bollocks to the terribly named 'new iPad', I want to to know what iOS 5.1 is going to do for my 4S' battery life.

It's not called the New iPad. It's just that they've realised constantly numbering it is stupid. It's just an iPad. The same way you're not using a Macbook 6 or a Dyson Vacuum 14.

Ah, so they're going back to the whole generation thing like the iPod stuff?

It's not called the New iPad. It's just that they've realised constantly numbering it is stupid. It's just an iPad. The same way you're not using a Macbook 6 or a Dyson Vacuum 14.

Yeah I'm not sure why people thought it was called 'new iPad'. The 'n' was never capitalised once during the presentation or on their website.

So anyone here got a preorder placed for the new iPad?

Sorry to call it that lol - but that's what it is for now... ha.

I pre-ordered last Thursday morning and have had all my confirmation emails that it will be here on Friday. Excited!

I went with the white 16gb model. Wanted white as I think the white makes the screen 'pop' more. :)

Now with retina display the 16gb one makes no sense anymore... most apps will increase in size, 16gb will mean little to no storage. It should've been 32/64/128...

Don't you already have an iPad?

You've met Apple fans before, right?

;)