NEurope
Nintendohnut

The Apple Thread

Has anyone put iOS5 on the original iPad? I don't want to update it then get an ear bashing from everyone in the house that the iPad has become slow.

I've put it on mine, haven't used it that much yet but seems ok!

I'm all set up with iCloud now. Had a bit of a panic when I thought I'd lost all my contacts, but in the end I was just being an idiot. Now I have the same contacts on every device I own, my photos in iPhoto on my Mac as soon as I get in from a day out (awesome!) and everything else sorted nicely. Hopefully it won't be a pain in the arse later on, but the iCloud website seems rather slick so hopefully it won't be too hard to edit data. Just a shame you can't delete bloody photos from Photo Stream!

Also, another tiny update from Apple today was the ability to 'Hide' items from your purchased list. If you downloaded a free app, played it once and hated it so deleted it, that will still be on your history of purchased apps. Thankfully, you can now hide unwanted apps in the 'purchased' tab to make everything quicker/less embarrassing. Now just do it for Photo Stream, Apple, and I'll be happy. Maybe.

Has anyone managed to get all their calendars sync from phone to iCloud? I've got 4 different Google calendars on my phone but none appear on iCloud?

I could be wrong here but I think it's only iCloud to iCloud. Like, you log in to iCloud on your phone and Mac and they sync. But Something like Google to iCloud won't.

I could be wrong here but I think it's only iCloud to iCloud. Like, you log in to iCloud on your phone and Mac and they sync. But Something like Google to iCloud won't.

That quite strange if so.

They're all on my calendar on my phone, iPad and iCal on my mac. I thought they would sync to iCloud from at least one of those!

If you download the Box app right now you get 50GB cloud storage :) not bad for a dropbox style app.

Edited by Shorty

I just heard about the new iOS5 now. After a good read -- I'm loving the sound of it! Living with a bunch of Apple Fan-boys+girls is having its effect.

Tried to download it, however, but I only receive a message - "Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later"

I've got an iPod touch. My current software version is 4.2.1. I've no idea whether this means I can't download it :(

Has anyone downloaded Whale Trail from the App Store? It's my little obsession at the moment, and I'm currently #15 on the world leaderboard. :)

I just heard about the new iOS5 now. After a good read -- I'm loving the sound of it! Living with a bunch of Apple Fan-boys+girls is having its effect.

Tried to download it, however, but I only receive a message - "Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later"

I've got an iPod touch. My current software version is 4.2.1. I've no idea whether this means I can't download it :(

Are you running on a Mac or a PC?

Step 1 - plug your iPod into iTunes, right click on it in the sidebar and choose 'Back up' to make sure you've got something to restore from later.

Then I would advise you search for the .ipsw file from somewhere online (try here). Then open iTunes with your iPod plugged in, open the main page where it shows all your iPod's details, and (if you're on a Mac) hold down Alt while clicking restore.

This will allow you to choose the file to restore from - choose the ipsw file you've just downloaded and it should all work automatically from there. When you finally restart the iPod for the last time, leave it plugged into your computer and wait for iTunes to ask what you want to do with it. Then choose restore from backup and choose the backup you've just made.

That should work. Let us know how it goes! :)

I am currently unable to sync my ipod either over wifi or plugged in to computer....it says "iTunes cannot sync apps to the ipod because the apps on the ipod cannot be determined" wtf does that mean?!

So the long-awaited update to iOS 5 was released today which was meant to fix the battery issues.

After unplugging my phone after updating (and also a full night of charge) it was at 93% which seems to be pretty standard. 3 1/2 hours later it was down to 53%.

If anything it's worse than before.

So the long-awaited update to iOS 5 was released today which was meant to fix the battery issues.

After unplugging my phone after updating (and also a full night of charge) it was at 93% which seems to be pretty standard. 3 1/2 hours later it was down to 53%.

If anything it's worse than before.

I didn't realise this was released today until I read your post :heh:

Installing it now. If it makes it worse, it's barely gonna be worth ever turning the phone on.

I didn't realise this was released today until I read your post :heh:

Installing it now. If it makes it worse, it's barely gonna be worth ever turning the phone on.

I wouldn't have known either until I got the notification from Apple!

I wouldn't have known either until I got the notification from Apple!

I turned those off :heh:

I'm not noticing any major difference, that said the battery drain use to vary all the time. It could hours losing barely anything then sometimes it could drain fairly quickly. Apparently turning off location services improves the battery. I've just done that, so we'll see if it improves some what.

As I'm too lazy to go to the Apple Store can anyone help me with this;

Someone updated my mother's iPhone (4) to iOS 5 and in the process it seems to have wiped her saved music. However, it's also not listed on her iTunes account although she has got the receipt emails to prove she brought some stuff. How do we go about getting that music back?

It should be in the 'purchased' section in iTunes when she logs in, but if it's not all you need to do is contact Apple. A few weeks ago my girlfriend bought an album and it didn't download properly. When we went back to the store it had the 'buy' button again, implying if we tried to download it again we would have to pay again. She rang Apple and explained and they gifted the songs to her (or something) and she downloaded them again for free.

Are the songs not on her iTunes? Did she buy them on her iPhone and not transfer them? Did you do a back up before updating her phone? And if so, did you restore from that backup?

Are the songs not on her iTunes? Did she buy them on her iPhone and not transfer them? Did you do a back up before updating her phone? And if so, did you restore from that backup?

They're not. She purchased through her iPhone. I didn't do the update but I doubt a backup was done.

Have you checked the 'Purchased' section in the iTunes Store? If you're on a computer it's on the right hand side (should still have a 'NEW!' icon next to it) and on the iPhone it will be a tab at the bottom of the iTunes app. In there every song she has ever bought should be stored.

If you've done that and they're not there... there must've been some kind of error. Has she ever changed her Apple ID? If you really can't see them anywhere, the best option is to contact Apple with all the receipt numbers and they will be able to help you out.

Got a iPad 2 for christmas, anything i should be doing with it or is it literally an iphone but bigger?

Got a mail that Apple is having some kind of event on their online store this Friday, where they give away a lot of discounts. I assume this is an international offer? Keep an eye out in that case. Wish I had the money to take advantage of that deal. Would like to have an Ipod nano.

Got a iPad 2 for christmas, anything i should be doing with it or is it literally an iphone but bigger?

If I had one, I’d mainly use it for internet on the go, if it fits in the bag (and I’m carrying my bag, but I usually do). I have no interest in most of their apps, like games. I could however see it as an excellent presentation device, which is the main reason why I could see myself buying an iPad 3 in the future.

Edited by Sméagol

I use my Touchpad whenever I want to just browse the internet or check up on my Google Reader. It's perfect for checking stuff before I go to work, and quickly checking stuff at random points (such as in between online matches in games).

It probably gets more use than my laptop at the moment.

I find the iPad is perfect for casual browsing in the living room. Far easier to use than a laptop for browsing. The only thing is if you're going to be posting in forums a lot it can be a bit awkward to type out long posts.

The most they discount on their massive deal day is 18 euro, and that's on an over 1,000 euro macbook. Hardly the deals of the century.