NEurope
Nintendohnut

The Apple Thread

There are reasons to wait for certain Apple products (for instance, a new generation of CPUs), but the iPad isn't one of those products. There's really nothing else hardware wise that they could possibly do with the iPad to make it that much more appealing really. If it was being refreshed in September I might wait, but I doubt the iPad will be.

Yeah I agree with that.

The biggest thing with the iPad I would say they could really improve is the screen. But I haven't had a proper hands on with the first or second iPad so couldn't really say.

The rumour mill suggests that the iPad 3 will be out next year and the iPhone 5 in October.

The biggest update to the iPhone would be including the A5 processor and making the screen wider?

Possibly a thinner design? Mostly cosmetic really i'd imagine.

There's never a good time to buy an Apple product in the sense that it will always be replaced usually within a year (iPhone 4 withstanding). Annoyingly, i'm ready to upgrade my phone and they still haven't announced the iPhone 5 yet.

I know how you feel :blank:

I broke my iPhone 4 about 6 weeks ago. It took me ages to get the insurance sorted and when I finally did, they had none in stock, so they sent me money. I figured the best thing to do would be to put the cash aside and wait for the iPhone 5, thinking we'd have it announced by now and out in a couple of weeks.

Now it looks like the best bet is announced in 3 weeks, out in 6 :/

I know how you feel :blank:

I broke my iPhone 4 about 6 weeks ago. It took me ages to get the insurance sorted and when I finally did, they had none in stock, so they sent me money. I figured the best thing to do would be to put the cash aside and wait for the iPhone 5, thinking we'd have it announced by now and out in a couple of weeks.

Now it looks like the best bet is announced in 3 weeks, out in 6 :/

I remember thinking months ago that by the time I was due to upgrade, the iPhone 5 would have already been our for a few months :heh:

So are Apple moving out of the professional production market?

The new Final Cut is shit.

And lots of people hate Lion.

So are Apple moving out of the professional production market?

The new Final Cut is shit.

And lots of people hate Lion.

I agree with the first, but I'm really not sure about the second. Apple haters naturally hate Lion, and a select few people also dislike it, but they're the sort of people who moan about the change in the Facebook UI whenever it happens, then ultimately accept it and then moan again when they change it again, saying they want to keep the design they original hated.

Basically, the people who hate Lion are the people who hated, then ultimately warmed to, Snow Leopard. And every operating system before it.

That's what I reckon, anyway.

You went for the original? (or do they not put the 2 on the packaging?)

You went for the original? (or do they not put the 2 on the packaging?)

They don't put the 2 on. Which is strange.

Typing this on it actually and it is very very good. Typing is so easy on it.

So far very very pleased with it! :grin:

That is strange and unAppley.

But then again they called the second iPhone the 3G and the third the 3GS so sometimes their naming conventions can be a tad confusing :p

Enjoy!

That is strange and unAppley.

But then again they called the second iPhone the 3G and the third the 3GS so sometimes their naming conventions can be a tad confusing :p

Enjoy!

Heh yeah that's true.

Need to sort out all the apps that I want now but I have a pub quiz to go to so it will have to wait!

I'm off work tomorrow though so will have a good play on it then!

Already though... :love::laughing:

Steve Jobs resigns as CEO of Apple.

A major development out of Cupertino: Apple CEO Steve Jobs has stepped down, the board naming Tim Cook as his replacement. The company said "Steve's extraordinary vision and leadership saved Apple and guided it to its position as the world's most innovative and valuable technology company."

Steve himself published the following letter:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple's brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

Steve

Engadget

I have full faith in Tim Cook, though I hope Steve isn't too ill. :(

Keynotes won't be the same without that turtleneck :(

I would be really amused if Cook was wearing one during his first keynote.

Thought i would post to let anyone who is interested know my feelings towards the ipad2 now that i have had a couple of days to play with it properly.

Have to say i am really impressed.

To some of the comments that were made when i first put about me looking into getting one and them being great for the casual or "less experienced" with technology - i totally get where you're coming from...!

I think its part of the reason i like it so much though. Everything is kinda just there. I have things selling on ebay. So i downloaded the ebay app, checked my listings, answered a load of questions and then closed the app down and went back to watching a video.

The simplicity of it is almost what makes it so good and easy / fun to use.

Very very impressed with video playback. Itunes movies look great on this. Still trying to figure out how i manage to upload a dvd and convert it so the ipad can run it but will get to that later.

Web browsing to be honest is just great. I think this is where it really shines for me.

Couple of questions though:

Are there any gestures on this thing? I have seen loads of youtube videos with people opening a load of apps and swiping the screen to shift between them. Then closing them with another swipe (almost replacing the use of the home button). But i have looked in settings and i have tried some gestures myself but nothing seems to work? May have read something a while ago somewhere about one of the updates for the ipad removing gestures? Dunno. Just thought id ask though!

Thos gestures I think should be in iOS 5.

Also, you can use Handbrake to rip your DVD and covert to correct format.

Right, so I'm trying to use Bootcamp for running Windows 7. I'm managing to boot into Windows fine but it doesn't seem to be able to detect any of my hardware properly. Annoyingly it runs fine through VMware as you would expect.

Anyone else had this problem?

Thought i would post to let anyone who is interested know my feelings towards the ipad2 now that i have had a couple of days to play with it properly.

Have to say i am really impressed.

To some of the comments that were made when i first put about me looking into getting one and them being great for the casual or "less experienced" with technology - i totally get where you're coming from...!

I think its part of the reason i like it so much though. Everything is kinda just there. I have things selling on ebay. So i downloaded the ebay app, checked my listings, answered a load of questions and then closed the app down and went back to watching a video.

The simplicity of it is almost what makes it so good and easy / fun to use.

Very very impressed with video playback. Itunes movies look great on this. Still trying to figure out how i manage to upload a dvd and convert it so the ipad can run it but will get to that later.

Web browsing to be honest is just great. I think this is where it really shines for me.

Couple of questions though:

Are there any gestures on this thing? I have seen loads of youtube videos with people opening a load of apps and swiping the screen to shift between them. Then closing them with another swipe (almost replacing the use of the home button). But i have looked in settings and i have tried some gestures myself but nothing seems to work? May have read something a while ago somewhere about one of the updates for the ipad removing gestures? Dunno. Just thought id ask though!

The VLC app can play avi files which will come in handy if you get videos from questionable sources.

Right, so I'm trying to use Bootcamp for running Windows 7. I'm managing to boot into Windows fine but it doesn't seem to be able to detect any of my hardware properly. Annoyingly it runs fine through VMware as you would expect.

Anyone else had this problem?

Just incase anyone was worried, I got it sorted. Insert your OSX disc when you boot into windows. Then run setup.exe from the disc which install Bootcamp on your windows.

This finally lets Windows talk to your hardware properly and allows you to right click and all of that super advanced stuff.

Does anyone know of any calendar apps for the iPad that integrate well with Outlook? The default app isn't bad, but the UI is a bit busy and it hasn't carried across the colour formatting from Outlook.

I've had a quick look around and its all rumours and speculation at this stage but iPhone 5 info? My housemate wants one but is getting bored of waiting, especially as her Blackberry didn't survive Reading.

There's been too many conflicting rumours this year for an accurate guess on what the handset will be like. The best guess is that Apple are releasing 2 different iPhones, or iPhone rumours are getting muddled up with iPod Touch rumours. It will be announced before the end of the month though and released early in October.

Tell them to give up waiting and get a HTC Sensation.

(totally not biased)

I've heard the battery life on those are awful? Someone I know (who is a heavy user, admittedly) says he barely gets a full day out of it.