NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
chairdriver

Non-Newtonian Fluid

Reminds me of the first episodes Clayface appears in Batman The Animated Series (Feat of Clay Pt. 1 and 2), when Batman is experimenting with a glob of clayface in the batcave.

Ok?

Bye.

From what it looks like that fluid only seems to piss on Newton when it's on the speaker. When you see the excess falling off it doesn't want to escape the surface anymore.

So, the main question, what the hell is that stuff? And what ultrasonic sound is making it want to reach for the sky.

It's probably mostly just cornflour mixed with water, which has really crazy properties (becomes more solid if you apply pressure). I don't think anything ultrasonic is making it do that - it's just the normal vibration of the speaker, which you can hear as a low buzz.

I wonder if it works with tomato ketchup or custard...

Seen this ages ago, but I do find it very interesting.

From what it looks like that fluid only seems to piss on Newton when it's on the speaker. When you see the excess falling off it doesn't want to escape the surface anymore.

So, the main question, what the hell is that stuff? And what ultrasonic sound is making it want to reach for the sky.

Yeah it's like Grunch said, it's also why Jon Tickle managed to do that thing when he walked(or rather ran) on custard, it's another famous non-newtonian fluid. Tis really interesting stuff though, something being more solid when you apply more pressure, but being totally fluid if you're gentle.

I wonder if it works with tomato ketchup or custard...

Like Mad Monkey says, custard powder is basically cornflour with flavourings, so the right kind of custard will behave in the same way. Ketchup won't, however - that becomes less viscous as pressure is applied, so putting it on a speaker will result in a pool of goo.

It's probably mostly just cornflour mixed with water, which has really crazy properties (becomes more solid if you apply pressure). I don't think anything ultrasonic is making it do that - it's just the normal vibration of the speaker, which you can hear as a low buzz.

I used to play with that stuff all the time when I was a wee Eddie! I used red food colouring :D Nice effect with the speaker.

When I saw the thread title I just immediately thought of this..

I know there are a lot of people on here on don't really like The Big Bang Theory but it's a show I don't really mind watching if it's on :heh:

Edited by nekunando

I know there are a lot of people on here on don't really like The Big Bang Theory but it's a show I don't really mind watching if it's on :heh:

High praise indeed. :heh:

Sign in to follow this