NEurope
Ashley

N-Europe News Forum Open

It is with extreme trepidation that I say the N-Europe News Forum is now open. I'm cautious because we've tried many times in the past but after a lot (a LOT) of faffing around today I think its working.

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28

The real test will come tomorrow when news gets posted (I've done 9 pieces today, I think I've exhausted myself and the news that's out there :p) but I've tested it and it seems to be okay.

Or it'll get shut down tomorrow. We shall see!

Of course you can still post comments on the main site but we've been meaning to implement this for a long time to help try and bridge the gap between the two communities a bit.

Been seeing the posts come up today on the New Posts button. Is there a way to turn the forum off as a personal setting? It's a good idea but the posts take up a lot of space in the New Pages.. page; and I'd rather not see 'em at all. Just a small niggle.

The best thing would be integration between the news threads and the main site/comments system, though I don't imagine that being at all easy. I do think it needs to go one way or another though, and either have commenting on the main site or forum threads for comments that show up, else you'll split the conversation.

Progress is progress though, kudos : peace:

I'm going to give you a custom username Dyson. It shall be "moans about everything"

:heh:

The best thing would be integration between the news threads and the main site/comments system, though I don't imagine that being at all easy. I do think it needs to go one way or another though, and either have commenting on the main site or forum threads for comments that show up, else you'll split the conversation.

Yeah that's what I'd like to see and why I brought it back up again but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't possible. It'd still be cool to see in the comments on the main page 'posted by blahblah via the Forums' or in the news thread on here 'posted by etc via comments' or whatever.

I'm impressed that the news posts stay in order even when you post replies - but that's probably a relatively easy thing to do (just force order them by date posted somehow?)

Been seeing the posts come up today on the New Posts button. Is there a way to turn the forum off as a personal setting? It's a good idea but the posts take up a lot of space in the New Pages.. page; and I'd rather not see 'em at all. Just a small niggle.

I've done this.

This requires a hell of a lot more work and it is something in the pipeline but we're all hella busy.

Me gusta! (I don't even know what that means)

Nice one, cheers!

Well then consider my accidental Spanish correctness apt! :D

(And my appauling English in this post not so :()

It has posted the news stories from the morning (or at least 2 of them as it checks every ten minutes and I've just finished the third) so it would appear to be working. Huzzah!