N-Europe

Pikmin 3 - Thoughts Going Into E3

Fused King

So, I've finished Pikmin 1 about a year ago and almost finished Pikmin 2:

Exploring the final level, so I've seen the credits and Louie getting lost. One could say I'm hunting for Louie with the President of Hocotate Freight

(all New Play Control by the way)

One hell of a difficult game, especially in these final stages.

Dream Den is a B!tch to complete, as I could see, for I got to sub-level 5, I believe, and had some flaws in my strategy on how to eliminate those green caterpillars which spit boulders.:weep:

This led me to end up with 22 Pikmin, so I just kept rushing for the exit in every sub-level, which eventually led me to a main exit that spouts you upwards.

With Pikmin, unlike with Little King's Story, you just know loads of those li'l Pikmin WILL die. No matter how well you plan out a strategy, there's always this big chance of you ending up with 45/100 Pikmin when coming out of a cave. Yet it still hurts.....it still hurts:nono:

Such a great game; with loads of reading material and just brilliant views on small earthly objects by the Hocotates, or rather, by the AI of my space ship.

The concept it brilliant, which brings me to Pikmin 3 (which is what this thread is all about:laughing:)

This is actually one of the key franchises from NINTENDO I'd like to see showcasing Café.

Environments will benefit, numbers of Pikmin, going at it at night with 'glow-in-the-dark' pikmin, online modes, and making creative use of the controller with the touchscreen (by drawing formations for your Pikmin).

In any case, there better be some form of Pikmin love at E3, otherwise we'll have to read once more the reaction of Miyamoto to members of the gaming press who're asking where Pikmin 3 is.

What are your views on Pikmin 3 now that we know of Café and 3DS?

It would be great to have Pikmin on home consoles again, but really I'd love to see Pikmin on the 3DS.

I just think the world could benefit so greatly with that extra layer of depth, the camera swooping around and brushing foliage out the way, could look truely stunning.

If nothing else, My Garden 3DS certainly showed the potential for such environments on the console...

Edited by Retro_Link

I would love to see some 2 player online co-op love for the next game. I'm not really bothered if it's on the 3DS or the Cafe but given the choice I would opt for a Cafe Pikmin. Seeing the little guys run around in a garden all in HD would be glorious.
Actually yeah that'd be awesome!

We really need Pikmin on both consoles! Heck throw in some form of connectivity between the two games to unlock extras in each.

I loved the first Pikmin but strangely, the second one didn't gel with me at all. I think it was mainly the dungeon places you had to go down/into that grated with me.

Personally, for Pikmin 3 I'd love to see them go back to a similar template used by the first one. Having that time limit of 30 days actually propelled you to push forward with the game and track down the items because there was that extra added level of peril whereas in the second, it wasn't there. They could still stick in Co-op and such using the template of the first game but seriously, get rid of those dungeons as they annoyed me.

If they want to do 'dungeons', take some cues from the likes of Little King Story and have them on the main overworld map (you did have this sort of thing in both games but it mainly revolved around taking on a bigger creature to get at an item).

That's at least how I would like the third one to pan out. I'd hope it'll be one of the games for the Wii at E3 but I wouldn't be surprised if they showed it off as a form of demo for Project Cafe.

Tricky. It'd be amazing on cafe as it'll need all the big games close to launch as possible (and surely this i nearly complete), plus it'll look incredible. But at the same time, it lends itself to portable gaming and it could look amazing in 3D. I don't care either way.... Too much to ask for 2 games... :) Or maybe it'll be a cross platform game as part of NIntendos crazy new strategy - it's for the cafe, but can be streamed onto the 3DS!

I'd like to see Pikmin 3 on the Cafe, with traditional controls (as the gameplay was designed around a traditional controller).

The game was surely designed for the 'traditional' controller because that was only controller available at the time. I can't really understand why anyone wouldn't want to use something like the Wii Remote and Nunchuk for a game like Pikmin ::shrug:

The game was surely designed for the 'traditional' controller because that was only controller available at the time. I can't really understand why anyone wouldn't want to use something like the Wii Remote and Nunchuk for a game like Pikmin ::shrug:

For a normal RTS where the cursor can be anywhere, yes.

For a game like Pikmin where the cursor is a set distance from the main character it doesn't add anything.

For a game like Pikmin where the cursor is a set distance from the main character it doesn't add anything.

Remove that, add pointer controls and you have a better game. ;)

I was honestly a bit shocked that LKS didn't use the pointer controls. It's not that that having an "attack line" that snaps to things (hopefully the right ones) doesn't work, but compared to the comfort of the pointer, it was like playing FPSs on the PC with a 360 pad. :p

[..]

With Pikmin, unlike with Little King's Story, you just know loads of those li'l Pikmin WILL die. No matter how well you plan out a strategy, there's always this big chance of you ending up with 45/100 Pikmin when coming out of a cave. Yet it still hurts.....it still hurts:nono:

[..]

Exactly the reason why I stopped playing the first. It's not that I really dislike the game, because I don't. There aren't any real flaws to detect, except for the timelimit perhaps. But since it's more or less an RTS, I expect some level of control. I guess I have that control, and it is simply the timelimit stopping me from accomplishing stuff exactly the way I want: with 0 casualties.

I think I was roughly at half of the game. I was at a point where I had to defeat some stupid birds-in-the-ground-creature things. With patience, I devised a way to dispose of them with all my Pikmin unharmed (that is to say, the micromanagement is there), but it took too much time, so I couldn't manage it before the day would end. I hadn't lost any Pikmin so far. That's where I stopped.

The time-limit gave the game its urgency, though. Otherwise, it would just have become way too easy. You would have been able to take your sweet time, with any real need to rush. If you made a mistake, it wouldn't matter too much, since there wasn't anything at stake.

With the time limit, it was beautiful. It was all "fuck, fuck, fuck, gotta get this right..." It gave the game its pace. I really did feel like I was stranded on that planet with Olimar and was in real danger.

In which case, I'd have prefered a limit on how many Pikmin you could plant. Would've catered to my micromanaging playstyle ;). I guess you have a point though, but that's something I obviously wasn't concerned with when I was playing it. I got a kick out of progressing with the same army of pikmin since the beginning. Then I realised, I wasn't going to complete the game that way. I guess I'll just have to get over that someday, and treat them as expandable :cry:. Progression would be much faster though :rolleyes:.

I always play FPS games on a PC with a 360 pad.

That explains everything. ;)

The time-limit gave the game its urgency, though. Otherwise, it would just have become way too easy. You would have been able to take your sweet time, with any real need to rush. If you made a mistake, it wouldn't matter too much, since there wasn't anything at stake.

With the time limit, it was beautiful. It was all "fuck, fuck, fuck, gotta get this right..." It gave the game its pace. I really did feel like I was stranded on that planet with Olimar and was in real danger.

I'm not generally against time limits, but it effectively killed Pikmin 1 for me. Had the game borrowed from a friend and got stuck in some nighttime level just after getting the blue Pikmins. I realized that I wouldn't be able to finish the level and retrieve a part of the spaceship in the given time. Getting enough Pikmins for the task would have taken the whole "day", with running back and forth in order to get the right coins taking most of the time. As far as I remember the options were to go back and try to start the level with a larger army or to spend the whole day building up the necessary force of Pikmins. The latter option might have bitten me later for all I know. So there was a sense of being "stuck".

I never came back to it.

I'll try Pikmin 2 (New Play Control) soon and see if that's better.

Generally, a time limit can make an otherwise easy level more fun if it adds the right amount of difficulty. But if there is the possibility to mess up the later progress of the game in other levels if you take too long at some point or didn't decide to start over at some earlier point or even the feeling that this might happen, it's a punishing design I can't be bothered with. There are other ways to incorporate time limits, e.g. design each level with a separate time limit for a goal that has to and can be achieved in that time.

Edited by Burny

I had little problems with the time limit in Pikmin.

The problem that I did have with it was, although it had you thinking more strategically and efficiently, I couldn't stop and look around and wonder on my own.

Games with time limits generally take some getting used to, especially time limits in NINTENDO games.

I greatly disliked the time limit in Majora's Mask, for, again, I couldn't wonder off on my own and experience the greatness of Termina (or so I thought), but I eventually went back to it, discovered how to play with the time element, and never looked back.

Same with Pikmin, actually. Thanks to my efficient and strategic ways to go around finding parts of the S.S. Dolphin, days were made available during which I could just fool around and 'harvest' more Pikmin.

I believe I cleared the game with 4 days to go.

Pikmin did give one the sense of distress, for you HAD to find those parts otherwise Olimar would DIE!

Pikmin 2 still had the time limit during the day, but there wasn't an overall time limit which gave you the incentive to keep going at it strategically. Though that was made up for somewhat by the disappearance of Louie; it had me worried, and I'm still looking for him!

With Pikmin 3, ..... limited stock of night Pikmin could be fun....

What could also be fun is that Olimar gradually comes closer to actual humans and their houses.

Ah, I can see it now; Olimar, Louie, and The President in greater Kyoto :D

or the plundering of Miyamoto's house :laughing:

I have Pikmin2 and just cannot get into it. I just don't enjoy it at all.

It's niche too which doesn't really scream launch title.

Cute AND an RTS not associated with war just hinders its appeal generally so I'd be VERY surprised if Pikmin3 came as a launch title.

We've been spoilt for staple Nintendo franchises new and old this generation so it will be very interesting to see what Nintendo have lined up.